Sign in to follow this  
Mike Edwards

G60? Ya-Boo-Sucks...

Thought that would get somebody's attention!

Following on from last year's heart-warming 174bhp at Stealth with my G60, I bought myself a supercharged BMW Mini Cooper S 2 weeks ago.

Having completed running it in, it just went on the rollers at Millway in Andover today.

167bhp at the wheels equated to 190bhp and 170lbft at the flywheel. :shock:

Not bad for a car whose only mod is a John Cooper Garages Works airfilter - particularly as the spec says it should be making 170bhp at the flywheel. :D

Millway's rollers may be optimistic compared to others, but there were standard cars making standard BHP and modified cars meeting the manufacturers claims done before and after.

Maybe today's low temperatures and high pressure helped... 8)

(Before anyone asks - I kept the VR6.)

nice figures mike........so tell me......how does the Cooper S feel compared to the C's you've had.......does it still make you want to drive it and look at it in the same way the good ol C does or is the honeymoon over yet :?:

Well, given that I've only just got enough miles on it to use:

1. full throttle;

2. more then 4500rpm.

it's still early days on the straight line performance front.

I can confirm however that it is considerably more bonkers than a standard Corrado G60.

Sudden changes of direction in bumpy corners will upset it more than the VR6, which is hardly surprising given the higher centre of gravity plus the VR6 is on H&Rs/Koni T/As.

Otherwise, I'm sorry to say it can leave all of the Corrados I've owned for dead through a series of fast bends...

MIke Edwards said

Maybe today's low temperatures and high pressure helped...

Low humidity today, but atmospheric pressure not high - close to normal at around 1012mb. Can be 1040-1050mb very occasionally. You can get better!

Sounds realistic Mike.. Our cooper S was kicking out 194BHP and 166ft lb of torque at the fly on stealth's rollers last year with only a few mods.

The engines do take a good while to free up to any degree. 10k they start to rev freely, our has covered nearly 50k now in 18 months. The milage has taken it's toll on the suspention now and it has been though several heater matrix's(Soaking the carpet), 5 sets of brake pads and countless sets of tyres. Other than that it has been a pretty solid car. No doubt you will take a little more care of yours that we do of ours so you should have no problems.