Sign in to follow this  
g60rado

Just upgraded my headlight harness -- pics!

H100VW, my loom arrived this morning, just going to have a go fitting it now.

I just have to say im glad I spent the money on one, I have seen instructions on how to make them and it does look easy enough but this one looks better put together than what I would have managed, even if it does exactly the same job.

G60jet, You can get all the gear you need from Vehicle wiring products. Postage may cost you a few quid tho.

The looms I make are totally reversable. No cutting involved at all. Have you got the plugs from the back of the headlight as well? Or are you going to use some blades?

I have steel toecaps, so my toes will be fine! :D

Cheers

Gavin

I'm going to make some connectors that mate with the plugs using the plugs as moulds. I hope if not then i'll sort something out

I have always though that the lights were pretty dull on the C, sounds like a pretty simple mod.What size of cable did you use for the new loom ? As the bigger the cable size the less resistance so the higher the voltage which in turn will mean brighter lights. (Just finished an electrical engineering course so its still fresh in the old brain) :shock:

Haelpfull tip

Using a spare plug i've managed to make a socket for the OEM plug to go in.

What i did was wire the loom up with the plugs etc (to connect to the headlight sockets), then the used spade connectors for where i was going to attach it to the OEM loom. i pluged them into a spare OEM plug (from the scrapies), used blue tac and tape to bung up holes on the spare plug. coated the inside of the plug with patrolium jelly, then filled the plug with plastic resine. and left over night to harden. the newly formed socket will then pull off the plug complete with spade connectors now fixed firmly in place with the resin, ready to fit to the oem loom.

In the OEM plug there is a rubber seal that you need to remove to use it as a mould. you need to be 100% sure you have coated it with PJ to make the plug release when set.

I have just installed an uprated loom made by H100VW, and I highly recommend this modification for the following reasons:

1/ I can no longer recognise my cars reflection at night in windows as "oh that must be me with the dull yellow lights..."

2/ when illuminating a signpost in the distance (or even the road ahead), its my lights, not the lights from the guy behind me!!

3/ I no longer get scared when I see oncoming traffic on a road, I can still see the road and so dont aim "just about 2 feet to the left of the left bright light"!!!

4/ I can't recommend enough doing, like this loom, the main spot lights too (most looms only do the main light) - I really wouldn't want to be caught approaching me at night with full beam on. 8)

And its easy to fit - what more can I say??

There is, however, one disadvantage of the uprated loom.

You do lose the backup which is installed in most cars in that offside and nearside have their own fuses - so if one blows, you only lose one side.

The main fuse on mine went last Saturday, whilst doing 75mph in the rain on a pitch-black road.

I crapped myself!!

Once I'd pulled over (I had to use the light from my indicators to judge wear the arnco barrier was!) I had the bright idea (lol...) to plonk the fogs on and they still worked (I didn't know at the time it was just a fuse - had no idea what it was!) so managed to get to my destination (was nearly there anyway).

It may have been since I run 100w uprated bulbs too, or maybe a dodgy fuse, but I replaced the 20w with a 25w one and all is well.

Since the high-beam is also uprated, I lost that too.

Just some info to be added to the thread...

Another good thing about H100VW's looms then, it has 2 fuses. Not sure if its seperate for left and right or for headlights and mainbeams though.

Joe, my loom has one fuse each for dip and main beam. However, should my loom fail completely. No lawsuits that I am aware of. TOUCH WOOD You can always just unplug it and get home by reconnecting the std wiring...

Big bulbs may need a bigger fuse in the main beam, because of the spotlights. If anyone has any Qs on that, I'll do the maths. I have started asking what bulbs people intend using to eliminate this problem.

I have been running these looms for 8 years with out incident. The one on my G60 Golf I made in 97 and took off my MK1 before I sold it. Still works as advertised.

A good squirt of WD in the plugs, every now and then is a good idea to prevent the chance of corrosion.

Gavin

ive just bought a mint 1986 mk2 golf, sorry!, looking through the history it has had an uprated loom installed by brm motorsport, the headlights are awesome, loads better than my parents standard mk2 golf, i think me and kevlar are going to reproduce one from the diagram i have for his c, it should be a cheap and a ry worthwhile upgrade!

the loom i bought uses a 30 amp fuse for standard bulbs. there is also a separate fuse for diped and main beam NOT LEFT AND RIGHT. and yes your right, fogs are on yet another fused circuit so somewhere in all those wires is enough light for an emergency

i hope

failing all that.............................pray

anyone have any ideas about the adjustments? I know how to adjust them just not sure where the beams should be pointing. If I set them so both near & offside are level on dipped, when I put my main beam on the nearside appears to be higher than the offside. If I adjust the mainbeam so they are level the nearside appears lower.

Anyone got any tips?

PS Afet fitting the uprated loom, a local plod commented on how bright my lights were the other night, he asked if I had my main beam on. I said no and that prehaps they were a little high. Didn't tell him (obviously) that I had 80/100 watt bulbs in ;-)

H100VW,

Hi, i would like to buy one of your looms for my corrado can you let me have the cost please!

H100,

does your loom then use OE type connector plugs then?

No, I don't think the extra expense is warranted. The plugs may only be a fiver each but with the crimps another quid each, it would jack the price up another 20 quid.

I could use plugs from a scrappy and solder them on and I have in the past for my own use. Again though, the additional time to do that, would jack up the price again.

The other thing is the plug you need to connect to the car loom is only available by smashing up headlights. A very expensive hobby!!

Cheers

Gavin

ok..read a lot and just want to know one thing: any website for this?like the Pd motorsport one or something?

I don't have a website if, I think designa dubs has a how to on their website.

Gavin

what exact parts to you need to get? Do you just use the relays that are already there and uprate the wire? What gauge wire did you use? And what amp fuse are you using? I would really like to do this mod cos i do a lot of country driving at night and i am very skint!! :( My vr takes a lot of money to keep her going!!

Cheers

Dan