Sign in to follow this  
usrdave

VR6 Only 160BHP :(

Hi,

Car: Corrado 2.9 VR6

Mods: Miltek Exhaust

Fuel: Shell Optimax

I put my car on the rollers yesturday and the Max Power at the flywheel was 160BHP@5850RPM.

Now as we all know this should be more like 190BHP.

Doing the Math: 190-160 = 30BHP Loss.

Now the car has done a few miles and I would expect a 10-15BHP loss but 30 is too much - something must be wrong.

Looking at the power curve it climbs up the rev range until it gets to 5000RPM, it then dips and then climbs again - very odd and not right.

The other interesting thing is the Co level its 0.00/0.01 even at idle (I've never had any trouble getting it through the MOT).

I suspect its some kind of fueling problem but was wondering if anyone on here had any ideas as to what they think it might be.

Many thanks

Dave

yeah sounds like your cam.pos sensor is dead......about 15mins to fit and £35+vat from your VW-dealer

if your C hasn't had the fault codes cleared after the rolling road session you'll have both your rear abs sensors flagged up too.............unless you do have a problem with the abs once these get cleared they should be ok........they get flagged up because the front wheels are turning and the rears a not

I thought the figure of 190bhp was taken from the driven wheels not the flywheel!?

Nope - 190 at the flywheel.

Someone who's been RR'd would be able to quote you an exact figure at the wheels, I would guess around 160 to 165 BHP ???

Thanks for the reply guys - I hope it is something simple,

I phoned up VW and quoted a camshaft position sensor and they told me they had an impulse sensor - is this the same thing?

Dave

hmmm it could be that usrdave but i would maybe phone another VW-dealer's parts man and ask him for a cam.pos.sensor and if he can give you a part no too........as some of the parts ppl at VW don't have a clue and yet others are only too willing to help and are quite knowledgeable

I thought the figure of 190bhp was taken from the driven wheels not the flywheel!?

Nope - 190 at the flywheel.

Someone who's been RR'd would be able to quote you an exact figure at the wheels, I would guess around 160 to 165 BHP ???

my best @the wheels power has been 150.5 bhp...........and the engine figure for that was 199.5bhp

I phoned up VW and quoted a camshaft position sensor and they told me they had an impulse sensor - is this the same thing?

It's also known as G40 and is a Hall Effect sensor - might be known as an impluse sensor???

Can't find it on ETKA at the moment so can't give you a part number...

From my engineering course at uni with stichiometric burning of a simple hydrocarbon fuel (i.e. all the fuel burnt) there should be only br nitrogen, water and carbon dioxide in the exhaust products.

When the burning is lean (too much oxygen) there is oxygen left over in the exhaust products.

When the burning is fuel rich then you should get carbon monoxide (co) in the exhaust products.

All cars run rich to ensure all products are burnt and no detonation occurs.

If your CO is 0.0 or 0.1 it means that its running lean.

Check how much oxygen (O2) is left over. If there is some then you have severe underfuelling problems and risk of detonation. DO NOT rev high if this is the case.

Thanks for reading to my thermodynamics lecture :)

Many thanks again. I have ordered the part and will attempt a swap this weekend. Yes Mike you are quite correct, thanks for the info BTW.

Cheers

Dave

Definitely the cam position sensor (it's above and to the right of the coil pack). My VR went on Stealths rollers shortly after I aquired it and it only gave 174Bhp on the first run. Vince knew straight away what it was, stuck a new sensor in and it immediately jumped to 200bhp with 193lb/ft torque on 95 Unleaded. That's 10 up on standard for both measurements. Dunno why as it's 100% standard but I'm not complaining!

Kev

Anyone know if theres a way of testing this without vag com, could I unplug it and put a multimeter across the terminals to check its got a fluctuating reading?

What about just unplugging then driving the car, if theres no difference then its gubbed, if theres a drop in performance then its fine.