chargedupstorm

Visible Differences between OE/SCHRICK/VW VSR manifolds

I was lucky enough to have 3 types of manifolds to hand late last year and took a few pictures to help understand the difference of the 3 known VR6 inlet manifolds.

The VSR(German Variables SaugrohR) was a VW Motorsport invention, it is a dual tract inlet manifold. One longer tract for low down torque and a shorter one for top end power, an electronically controlled flap switches between the two at 4000rpm.

It was produced by Pierburg GmbH in Neuss, and there are prototype versions out there without the VWM logo stamped on it.

Basically it enables the 6 cylinders to breathe even more freely ;-) and that's good, but in terms of actual horsepower gains they aren't that impressive.

All_4.jpg

Left to right, the OE inlet, Schrick VGI and VWM VSR.

For those who don't recognise it, the limited edition VW VSR made my Pieronberg - the cover plate is not bolted onto the inlet but actualy glued on!

I removed the cover for polishing:

Polished_VSR_Plate2.jpg

The OE underside:

OE_Underside2.jpg

The Schrick underside:

Shrick_underside3.jpg

The VW VSR underside:

VSR_underside3.jpg

It's interesting to note that the Shrick inlet tract is identical to the VM VSR, albeit the angle where it meets the throttle body.

Shrick vs VSR:

Schrick_VS_VSR3.jpg

I can only think it was due to manufacturing costs that Schrick decided not to allow access to the front plugs when creating their cast mould

Annoying to think that rather than wasting the development effort, VW Motorsport initially sold it as an aftermarket item and then sold the design to Schrick. IMHO every Corrado VR6 should have one ;-)

Ah nice job! There can't be that many people in the world that can say they've had all 3 incarnations on their driveway at the same time! :D

Interesting to see the similarities/differences between them tho :)

Cool pics! About 4 grands worth there new!

One thing worth noting is Schrick were the only manufacturer to look at modifying the flow characteristics of the VR's assymetric head with some cleverly tuned unequal length inlet runners. Induction pulse tuning facilitates the air to be 'pulsed' into the chambers at 6psi. This can be clearly felt with a slug of torque at 3500rpm. Now, if the exhaust header collectors were unequal length too, there'd be further torque gains. I think Supersprint do such a manny, but it's £500!

Agreed, every VR should have one!

thought hte VGI aND the VSR both had un equal tract lengths, which is how the increase torque lower revs.

if the were equal on the VGI swapping over at 4000 revs wouldnt make a blind bit of difference and would be some waste of 2 grand.

you can see the VGI and the VSR both share th same one straigh one kinked for extra length of the same design, so i dont think Schrick could of done much more than figuring out how to cover the spark plugs to save cash!!

Both the VGI and VSR split the manifold into two to fool the engine into behaving like two 3 cylinder engines (individual cylinder and bank selective timing on the VR remember) when the flap is closed and one 6 cyl engine when it's open, and that's where the similarity ends. Vauxhall's GSI 3000 engine behaved in a similar way with the addition of shutting down a bank of 3's fuel and ignition on overrun for economy.

You can clearly see in the pictures that the VGI is the only one that has unequal length runners and if you understand how assymetric heads work, you will realise the benefit of this.

Agreed, the VGI is very expensive for what you get in return but it's function was not to turn the engine into a 16V, but rather make it more tractable in the midrange. If you redline a VR6 everywhere then agreed, the VGI is pointless.

Depending on the flow of your metered air (MAF) I wonder how much difference the angle of the inlet from the throttle body makes to the air turbulance? The VSR has a more abrupt turn, (Don't I know it as I had to cut my inlet pipes again!) but in essence was easier to fit than the Schrick.

I haven't had the chance to get my motor back on the rollers since fitting the VSR over the Schrick, coupled with fitting a new alternator and having to work out a more interesting layout for the serpentine belt so that it doesn't shred... - (This is something I've caused by the new alternator and it's pulley!)

Oh and on another note people with VSR's fitted should check that they are getting full throttle!! Thanks to Glenn Cooper we discovered that when fitted with factory brackets the ISV fouls the full movement of the throttle. As much as only getting 70% throttle, this is without grinding off about 1.5cm's of the nylon throttle cable guide so that it opens past the ISV!!

Amazing that such problems were missed by a number of reputable UK VAG tuners!!!

I wonder exactly how many VSR's were produced, I remember reading somewhere they were limited to 700 and all numbered. But there are no serial numbers stamped anywhere on the cast on the 2 I've seen in the flesh. Anyone know?

Thanks corradovr6sc,

Basically because the alternator pulley is ever so slightly out of line with the rest of the pulleys. (new 120amp alt.recently fitted) And because I am wraping round the back of the alt. pulley from the charger it is almost cutting the belt under tension. :-(

I need to take the time to take the front of the car off again (A common occurance in my garage!) remove the charger / alternator and make sure they are all alligned properly.

I'm currently using a Gates 7DPK 1363mm (Double sided 7 ribbed belt) because of the a/c pulley. - In actual fact I recently discovered I can get away with using the OEM VR6 with A/C belt but they are £58+VAT from a dealer, vs. £20+VAT for the Gates belts from my local motor factors. Happy to buy any spare belts around the 1360mm size if you have any though - Spares are good, especially with a drive to Worthersee planned!

Um yeah, the "one long, one short" manifold view of the VGI/VSR isn't strictly true. It's more "one thin, one fat", but both same length...

But the effect is the same.

That's not as long as I thought. The one I have is a single sided, 7 rib 61 1/8" but you need one which is about 53".

I'm using a 60.5" non-ac belt but the Vf-charger must be setup differently requiring a shorter belt. I'm running the c2 dual idler pulley so no problems with tension which is achieved through belt wrap instead :)

That nothelle one is indeed a logo-less Schrick with the tuner's name milled into it! I was going to get mine milled with something OE looking, VW or VR6 or something....

It's such a shame that Schrick decided to move away from the OE look of the VSR and also decided to remove the holes for accessing the spark plugs.

I reckon that had they addressed those two issues then the original VSR wouldn't be the Holy Grail that it currently is. :(

I understand the 24v head comes with a plastic version of the VSR as standard. If plastic does the trick, surely a cheap alternative to the cast alloy ones could be produced? Even if it's not quite as good, as long as it's better than without...