Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigneil

Possibly a new Volkswagen Contact I hope!

Completely off the topic but...

I have an Interview to be a Sales Exec at Volkswagen Colbornes in Guildford on Saturday!

So excited! Had enough of commuting to London everyday from Guildford and maybe I can get discount parts for the C.

I probably won't get it but I will try my best!

I have no idea about VW's new model range - better do some research!

I did but you didn't pick up!

I honestly found out 5 mins ago, how cool! The old Lady is friends with the FD for the company and the person interviewing me used to insure the company through my Mum

we want 50% off parts please! Prices might be a bit more realistic then! Had a quote from VW a while back for a RHD syncro PAS rack - £960!!!! cookoo!

You have a PM btw neil..

God thats expensive! I haven't got the job yet, I hope I get it though, they do Audi's, BMW's and Mercedes also. They have a used division but never seen any Corrado's there.

Hope I don't have to work every Saturday though as I think they do

Okay, I'm still going to the interview but just found out Colbornes is open Monday - Sunday WTF! They all do Monday - Saturday with one of the days off and then are on a rota for Sunday...

What do people think?

I so want to work in the automotive industry!

I was just going to say, i would be worrying more about sundays lol.

The motor industry is as bad as it gets, if your current job pays well stick with it.

The best you will get out of a dealership will be a demo car and discount on parts!

Good luck though anyway!

biggerbigneil said

What do people think?

You sound young biggerbigneil!

Remember, you will not have to work Saturdays and Sundays all your working life! You have to view things in the long-term. Endeavour and sacrifice are all part of life for those who want to have a fruitful career so that they can spend their money and leisure time in a way that is rewarding to them.

Of course, there is nothing worse than having to work in a job you loathe for one or more reasons, but persistence and loyalty do count for a lot to employers.

I have no experience of working in the motor industry and my grown up children work as BP chemist, newspaper editor and in banking. They all moan about things at work just as we their parents did!

There are very few cushy numbers today in the working environment, be grateful you have been offered an interview with a big company and give it your best shot. Good luck. :2gunfire:

Very good advice, yes I am a reasonably young one - 22, I have a 4year Computing and I.T. degree, nearly 2 years sales experience, currently in recruitment but want to get into the automotive industry.

I'm thinking get some experience with a dealership and learn some German and see where it all takes me - hopefully Porsche Head Ofice in Reading!

well... not too far off 6 months recruitment, about 3 years part time with Dennis doing Golf and Sporting Events Management and having to bring on new clients and about two months telesales before all of that. Not too far off two years I rekon, did that placement year from uni with General Motors and did some sales there also but mainly I.T. rubbish - about as fun as none

Well... the interview went well from my side I think. I so wanted the job until I found out about the hours.

Monday - Saturday (with rota for having 1 week day off - tues, wed and thurs)

Every second Sunday working also.

So I would be required to work a whole weekend every other week.

Not cool, back to the drawing board

If your working the sun do you get 2 days off in the week?

A mate at BMW works 5½ days per week (every other sun, with only mons off)

I worked in retail working most weekends for 7 years before leaving for a mon-fri 9-5. Spent nearly a year sat behind a desk and hated it!

Im now working mon-sat with thursdays off. You just have to be clever with holidays etc to make it work.

If hours/days are the only concern id go for it!

Bummer mate.. as Baz said you could work around it..

wish you luck with whatever you decide..

By law, no firm can force you to work a Sunday - nor can they fire you for refusing.

You need to tell them every three months that you refuse to work Sundays (religion-reasons) and there's jack they can do!

Ah you serious?

It's the auto industry they will sack you if you don't do Sundays when assigned.

Have left the idea of working in a dealership, would be willing to do one saturday a month but not more.

Have handed my Notice in and my last day is tomorrow and I haven't got myself a new job....

Thinking of setting up my own company but keeping it quiet for now....

Otherwise I'll be back as a recruitment consultant in Guildford or Reading or somewhere not in smelly London - I like my trees, grass and horse shit in the road!

By law, no firm can force you to work a Sunday - nor can they fire you for refusing.

You need to tell them every three months that you refuse to work Sundays (religion-reasons) and there's jack they can do!

Sadly I wish this was true,

we had to sign a contract that said any 5 days out of 7

one boy is religeous and never worked it until he was told he would be making himself redundant if he didnt..the gits

anymore for anymore ?

They cant force you to work in a shop on a sunday but only shop workers are protected :-(

very true i managed to sell VW's for nearly five years the only reason i stayed that long was coz i liked them so much and had a vr6 rado to run around in!!!

Best move I ever made getting out although i dont regret working for em had alot of fun times!!! Especially on sundays when i was the boss... Smoking old swappers as fast as poss in the car park!!! :D

its true you can not roll a 2cv over!! LOL