Sign in to follow this  
Walesy

2.0 G60???

hi...ive had a 1995 2.0l 8v corrado for nearly 10 months and its proven to be a really good reliable car. the only prob i have is im feeling the need for more power :-P as i went from a 140bhp audi a4 tdi to a 115 bhp 8v engine!.

Ive toyed with the idea of selling the car and buying a vr6/g60 but im not finding anything as nice as my car for the money i want to spend. so i really need to know whats the best thing to do with regards to gaining power from my car without loosing drive quality( ive heard that some mods can make the car less drivable as a daily driver!)

ive got a k+n induction kit on the car and am thinking of a performance exhaust so what would people suggest? is charging it up viable? how much would it cost? anything else that might be better??...id appreciate your suggestions...thanks.

i think you can get it re-chipped or the ecu can be re-mapped,also the exhaust changed for a de-cat exhaust system should unleash 15 bhp alone

well, i think yrs is the 2E engine, same as mine? Someone correct me if i'm wrong...! with the mods done to mine it certainly has a decent bit of grunt - it was RR'd with 101.9BHP at the wheels and just a little over 105lbF-ft of torque so i'm definitely liking the way an 8V feels, but yeah, getting hankering for more power... 8)

Have seen 8V turbo kits in the States going for about $1000 new (£500! :shock:), which if i had the money would certainly be being considered! :lol:

A 2.0 G60 will cost you a lot! It needs to be done with special Ross forged pistons. I can't remember the reasons why but there is something about the PG/Rallye engine that limits capacity increase options.

Stealth built a 2.0 G60 for a customer some 4 or 5 years ago and it was an expensive engine to build. It also had a charge cooler and a piper cam, stage 4 charger, chip etc

I drove it and it was ballistic. It was immensely torquey. It's the only G60 I've driven so far that actually did anything below 3000rpm, it felt TDI torquey right from tickover to the redline. It 'only' made 240 bhp but the way it drove on the road belied that figure. It was incredible. 250lb/ft torque IIRC and it certainly felt like it.

You can get similar figures from the 1800 if you spend a bit but the 2.0 gives you that extra capacity and torque and consequently the engine doesn't have to work as hard as a mega boosted 1800. The 2.0 is all about torque... if you want mega power AND torque, dump the G lader and turbo it.

I drove it and it was ballistic. It was immensely torquey. It's the only G60 I've driven so far that actually did anything below 3000rpm, it felt TDI torquey right from tickover to the redline. It 'only' made 240 bhp but the way it drove on the road belied that figure. It was incredible. 250lb/ft torque IIRC and it certainly felt like it.

:D mmmmmmm sounds good...how much is alot roughly???

I can't remember the reasons why but there is something about the PG/Rallye engine that limits capacity increase options.

I was under the impression it was because the bore would not be thick enough to handle the stress/compression.

My golf G60 was a 2ltr. I think that you are right, there was a problem with the increased capacity. I also had no end of problems trying to keep the thing cool.

corradowales, did you read the article in PVW March edition about 1.8T conversion for a MK2 Golf? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the late 8v Corrado's are digifant? Therefore you could go down 1.8T route quite easily, plug and play with that custom wiring harness! (QPE I think were the guys doin the looms)

Easy power, for not too big an expenditure, I thought, and potentially quite easy to do with your car as the base 8) ;)

corradowales, did you read the article in PVW March edition about 1.8T conversion for a MK2 Golf?

noi havent got a copy...will get one though..

late 8v Corrado's are digifant?

im not sure? theres different types of 8v engine and im not sure which ive got :oops: ...

Yeah the 8V will be digifant. That 2.0 G60 conversion cost about £5K all in IIRC! Ouch..... was more than just a rebore though.

That 2.0 G60 conversion cost about £5K all in IIRC! Ouch

:shocked!: :flasingsmile: :shocked!: :lol: :shaking: :pukeright: :pukeleft: ??..umm my mrs has just told me that that aint happenin.

just remebered ther was a mk3 golf gti g6o for sale on here a few weeks back for 4k...sounding like a good price now!

2litres G60 using the PG or 1H block (the original block that came in a G60 or Rallye) is difficult to do due to the bore diameter... The max you can safely overbore to is 83mm which (with a standard crank) gives you 1876cc (IIRC) so a 1.9 engine.

You can then start messing with the crank to go up further, but you start hitting clearance problems with the block needing to be machined, the oil squirters (which keep the bottoms of the piston crowns cool) need repositioning which means that the pistons need customising and a whole hell of a lot of other things then cascade into the "needing to be done" zone...

I asked Stealth about their 2litre conversion when I was after my rebuild and they won't do another one... I get the feeling that, although it was a brute and was an expensive buy for the owner, Stealth were never fully happy with it and may not have made any money on the conversion due to the learning curve associated with it... :| (This may not be what actually happened and was just a feeling I picked up from Vince when I chatted to him about it)

I eventually went for a 1940cc conversion (new crank and customised Mahl 83mm pistons) It's got BAGS of low down grunt, plenty of midrange, oh, and quite a bit of top end too! ;) :lol: Have a word with 16VG60 if you're serious about it... I got my bare block done by him and then built the rest myself and it's well been worth the money... 8)

some of the americans have been using their 2E equivalent engine (ABA) as the base for a 2 litre conversion, the 2e being a suitable engine as it has the oil squirtes for cooling and early 2e`s had a forged crank, this coupled with a bahn brenner head gasket and seem to be having success,,

obviously this conversion would be better and more reliable with the stock g60 gasket and custom forged pistons which are readily available,

aba swap 1

aba swap 2

aba swap 3

So it's possible to do a 2L G60 conversion on the 2E engine...? Hmmm, interesting...

Would I have to ditch the aircon though, as I reckon the compressor's not far from where the charger would sit? :(