Sign in to follow this  
Rossco

Oil cooler and power steering

Right, my power steering fluid is leaking at a rate of knots and i think its coming from the rack, not sure tho. Worst case scenario and it is does that mean th erack is buggered?

My remote oil cooler is and ace wee bit of kit but im seeing temps of around 110 degrees sitting in traffic, thing is ive got it mounted on the slam panel infront of the charger and behind the drivers side headlight so i figure its not really in the path of any airflow. Can anyone whos had this mod done tell me where they have placed theirs, pics would be decent

Cheers in advance

Ross

Hmm, I don't really follow your slang but I will take a stab at it. The power steering system can leak in a few places but most are easy to identify. The system can leak at the end of any hoses so I would first look at the pump, the fluid container and where the hoses enter the steeing rack. I would look at all 6 of those connections and make sure they are not visibly leaking. Check the hoses themselves and make sure there are no splits or leaks in them as well. The rack itself can leak as it uses hydraulic pressure to push the internal rack back and forth and the seals between these pistons and the rack body can easily be ripped if the rack boots get ripped torn or crap gets in there. If the rack is leaking internally then it is probably going to be rebuilt or replaced. If it is going through oil then it should be pretty easy to see where it because all of that oil will make a pretty big mess. Get under the car and just do a visual inspection and I bet it won't take long. If you don't have a shop then just pull two wheels on the curb and slide under the car with a flashlight and see what you can see. You can see most of the top of the rack and the inside of the rack boots from under the bonnet as well.

Oil coolers are basically an air-to-liquid cooler and it works best when it has direct air flow across the fins. There are a few things you can do, you can have it so it is sitting right in front of the radiator beside the left headlight in the rad support. If you put it here it will always have air blowing directly into it. It is kind of tight in the Corrado so there are not a lot of places to put it. If it is a smaller oil cooler you can also put it on the right side of the car in the same space the intercooler occupies but on the other side of the car. You would have to clear out some of the area of your lower grill to increase air flow and then use some ducting to push air into the cooler.

Basically with it sitting behind the head light it is not getting any air pushing over it so it is not really working.

Cheers, Dennis

An oil cooler wont do anything if the car is stationary no matter where it is situated. As you start moving, you'll see temps drop as Insane_VR6 says, it relies on air moving across it.

Mine gets up to about 108 sitting in traffic (on my G60) but the minute you get going the temps drops within a minute or so. I shouldn't worry about it too much.

Mine's mounted in front of the radiator so gets cooled by the radiator fan drawing air through when in traffic. The highest temp I've seen when sat in traffic is 102 degrees. Oil temp in general averages 96 - 100 depending on ambient temperature.

dont suppose you could take a pic of this mate, where the bolts are and such like? i moved it this morning wee bit closer to the rad but infront sounds ideal

Here it is. The bits of metal in front of it and bolted to the slam panel are some brackets I made up using B&Q shelving stuff.

Looks bigger in the pic than it actually is...it's only a 13 row job, about 13" by 6" and 2" deep. Seems to work though :D

mines the same size as kev`s ....ooer!!!

but i fitted mine lower down, behind the bumper on the bit that goes rusty (if you know what i mean?)

temps are between 94 whilst moving and 108 when stationary, my car did used torun VERY hot (>128)until i fitted this!

Looks more like a FMIC! Mine's wee but I suppose it's got 2 less cylinders to cool!

are you on crack or any other recreational drugs??

or you completely lost the plot ? :lol::lol::lol: