Sign in to follow this  
borderair

stolen "storm" badge

my sister phoned me yesterday to tell me that some thieving scumbag had stolen the storm badge off the back of her corrado. She was not happy when i told her how rare they are and that she would have to pay mega money for one if a SH one ever came up.

So my options as a kind brother and fellow C owner are - Make a new one

You may laugh at this but it is a realistic proposition because i have access to an SLA machine at work - but i need some help

Does anyone know the correct font for storm? - i think i have seen it on the ccgb magazine cover?

Could some one take a good quality digi photo of the badge in relation to the corrado badge so i can get an idea of scale

failing that any good ideas?

By the way she lives in N Yorks so if you are offered one in this area its may be hers! - No doubt it will be on ebay this week for £100

Thanks in advance for any help on this

A few months ago I asked if any Storm owners were worried about having this badge nicked, or have any of them removed it for safekeeping. Did not get a response but, clearly, there is an increasing risk of theft.

I think all storm owners should remove thier badges a.s.a.p

and then fit a transfer copy made from a transfer.

Total piece of mind and

no vandal scratches left from pikeys with screwdrivers levering off the original

I've taken mine off, and made 2 duplicates (only half done at the moment) using fibreglass.

Need to paint + sand em now...

I'll post some pics once I'm done :wink:

Somebody has already started making copies. I think Crozin may have the details

Who is crozin have tried a search no no matches?

If you are seriously interested in making one, I could loan you an original spare one I have to make a mould / copy?

Thanks for the offer - i may take you up on that if i cannot find out the font or get a good photo

The good thing about our SLA machine is once its CADDed press the button and select quantity and away we go!

And as bonus its accurate to 0.3mm as well

I think if we all fit replica STORM bages then the theives won't target them the same and prices of the badge will fall.

Who is crozin have tried a search no no matches?

That's corozin - John Munyard, chairman of the CCGB.

It was talked about to make some replica badges which would then be sold on only to legit Storm owners.. but I dont know if the wheels were ever set in motion on that little project.

I asked Trimsport if they would make replica badges, their response was "sure, if you're willing to pay £500 for the inital mould..." :roll:

Then again, it would only take 5 copies to be sold on ebay before making your money back

They serious? I'm sure you could sell 20 on here if they were "almost indistinguishable" from the original - that would bring the price down to what £25 a pop?

Borderair - Have you seen the badge on EBAY at the moment, is your sister in the Bournemouth area??

Just a thought, may well be totally genuine

Ok starting to get the info i need, so should start the drawing process tomorrow - i will keep you all informed with photos when things start to happen

Borderair - Have you seen the badge on EBAY at the moment, is your sister in the Bournemouth area??

Just a thought, may well be totally genuine

The one on eBay is the badge from on the inside on the gear surround - not the one that was pinched from the rear of the car.. so I think its safe to say that one is a legit sale :)

cheers for the fonts cougar but could not find the one i need so i downloded a picture from chargedupstorms website and used this as for my measurements. Anyway it took me half an hour to measure the logo and about another half an hour on the CAD and we are ready to roll.

........2 hours later and hey presto 3 storm badges appear.

I will hopefull post photos tomorrow and await some feedback.

Very nice :D

Not 100% accurate, but fantastic nonetheless 8)

The real badges have a bevelled edge and the characters aren't quite so spaced apart :wink:

Is it easy to get them painted black + red like the real ones?

Very nice :D

Not 100% accurate, but fantastic nonetheless 8)

The real badges have a bevelled edge and the characters aren't quite so spaced apart :wink:

Is it easy to get them painted black + red like the real ones?

here is the badge against the 1 / 1 photo i used to draw it - character spacing is slightly out and im not totally sure on the letter connecting detail, depth and bevel rad etc

These will be corrected when i actually see a pukka badge so you will not be able to tell any differance - this is only prototype stage after all

PS - The angle of the S looks wrong because the paper is not flat