Sign in to follow this  
GB_SEAN

VR6 TIMING CHAINS (No noise doesn't mean all's well)

How on Earth did you manage to get the engine and the engine bay so clean?

You'd be surprised what a bit white spirit and elbow grease can achieve.

Before I did this job I scanned the forum for photo's like these but could not find much. I thought that other lads must looking for the same photo's so they can see what the job is like, so I went about it to hopefully provide some useful insight to what sort of a job it is on a Corrado.

As for the engine bay, elbow grease and obsession.

If I keep the car I will want the engine mint. Literally.

(If I don't sell)

Cheers for the comments, glad I could be of use. Seriously, I would suggest that anyone who is fit and able and has a decent set of spanners should give it a go as I did. Save your Money for a holiday or set of cams!!

Hello, Can you give me the part numbers of each of the parts you have used for the chains. Are all the part original or are they the MKIV Variants?

They you go, thats extensive! I got my chains,clutch,water pump and hydraulic lifters from AVS.

[web]http://www.vwspares.co.uk[/web]

The rest of the stuff like the MK4 pad and tensioner bolt, chain tensioners and gaskets etc etc came from VW. I had a total Bill of around £400 after having to buy some tools as well for the job.

Gulp, mines done 120k on the original chains. Its a bit ticky but quieter than the other halfs vento vr on 90k. Should I start worrying. I dont want too as im still trying to cure my stat housing water leak nad expansion tank!

It allways sounds quieter after i've polished it anyway!!

Try not to be paranoid about this stuff. There's only a handful of cars have actually had failures as a result of timing chain issues.

It's definitely worth whipping off the inlet manifold, rocker cover and top timing chain cover to have a look at the top tensioner rail though, in the vento I just finished rebuilding the engine in the rail had failed at 121k and from what I can see the car didn't lead a particularly hard life (2 owners, fsh etc)

(Slightly) off topic but where did you get the plug lead tool 2cc? Stealer?

Well worth doing, drove today for the first time and feels better instantly.

Well pleased with it. Like I said before the engine sounds diffrent as well even though it was not rattling or anything.

Only snag, I have a problem of it not idling when it's cold so need to investigate and sort.