Sign in to follow this  
Dalek995

Exhaust Backfire

OK so, recently replaced my exhaust all the way from the CAT back with a powerflo stainless exhaust setup. The one issue I have now is that when I rev the engine and drop off the accelerator it does the following (please forgive the childish noise attempt!!)

Brrrrrruuuuummmmmm pop po-pop pop pop

Brrrrrruuuuummmmmm po po po pop pop pop

So to speak!! :oops:

Its quite sperradic in pattern - problem is that it does it while I drive and change gear also. Am I just being a tart with this - is this supposed to happen (I just dont ever remember it doing so before my exhaust issues).

Thanks for any input dudes and dudesses :? :)

Can happen with some exhausts - just a charachteristic. Could also be that they haven't sealed the front pipe properly though.

Yep, often happens when there is a small air leak. Check round the joints for carbon deposits.

Does it only do it when its hot?

go on admit it, you thought it was cool for about half an hour, then it got annoying :lol: ;)

he he -so very true.

used to happen on my old 16v -mates used to say a little flame used to show. happended when you nailed it and let off the accelorator to change gear. that was a powerflow too

Its decent, leave it alone. Flame it up large and show the fuds in shitboxes what a real car is like

There doesent seem to be any carbon deposits around the joins - however, yes she does do it more when warm and it seems to be getting worse in that today she was giving out one good pop whenever I changed from 4th to 3rd or even 3rd to 2nd.

Sometimes it gurgles quite nicely (and yes I admit - I have the odd accelerator stomp just to hear it - mainly at traffic lights) but other times I am a bit concerned that I should paint it yellow and stick New York, Paris, Peckham on the side!

Could it be something before the CAT then? Manifold seal or something like that?

Cheers

Sounds like the exhaust is very free flowing and perhaps a bit to large bore or with too few silencers. n/a cars always do this is if you have a big bore exhaust. You may even be losing power over a standard system due to lack of back pressure. I doubt if Powerflow set their systems up with pulse tuning in mind to optimise power gain.

Mine has a flamethrower affect 8) not a pop and small flame..

yep gotta remember that powerflow systems arent tuned to the car like Neil g60 says.

ill never ever use powerflow again after my experiences,but i suppose it all depends on the fitter,oh they dont use 304 grade stainless either,after 2 years of hell mine actually fell off the car in rusty pieces. 8)

sorry,just thought id share my experience!

neil.

The Powerflow on my Mk2 Storm Rocco does the same, but that's because I requested that effect. It got a wee bit worse ever since I fitted a Supersprint 4-2-1 branch manifold :oops: Definitely not suitable for an everyday car, but as my Storm no longer is an everyday car rather than a fun / weekend car, I don't mind at all.

I haven't noticed any power degradation on mine, tube bore is still oem size on my entire system.

Tempest

Cheers everyone for the suggestions - looks like I'm gonna have some fun with my powerflow exhaust over the next few months then!!

So long as she lasts the next six months (which I have no doubts she will) gonna take her off road then to do some work on her - got a polo standing by - its brown and its a 1 litre - let the good times roll!