Sign in to follow this  
Dboy

Aftermarket Superchargers

Just wondering, are there any aftermarket superchargers that can be used in place of the original? for instance, u can bolt on a Vortech supercharger to a VR6 - can u use the same vortech charger on a G60? are there any power gains from such a product? :?:

AFAIK you can use an eaton kompressor from a mercedes too......and i think there are 1 or 2 others that can be fitted.....don't know about the vortech one......why do you ask??.........has your one expired or do you have a cunning plan???

or try this link for an aftermarket one that is a bit on the dear side and doesn't seem to give any gain on the standard G-lader

http://corrado.atx-hosting.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=689

you can use an eaton kompressor from a mercedes too

the Merc 'Kompressor was an Eaton charger.

I know its been done many a time too.

As for fitting any Charger, It depends on things like the size of the unit, the shape of it, where its mounting points are etc. I think BBM do a screw type charger conversion bolt on for the G60.

Eaton and Rotrex chargers have been used to good effect in the past, but you will need to be mindful of the output as these chargers can be sourced accordingly. Bracketry is another factor to be considered as is the overall installation. Nothing is impossible just time consuming. One needs to equate the returns against effort and cost to install. The Vortech is a very different animal. It is a linear charger and as such has characteristics more in common with turbochargers. The Vortech charger will give strong reliable boost according to the chosen unit, but you will loose that low down grunt the G lader creates. Altrernatively look after your G Lader and enjoy the car as is but maybe a little porting to spice things up? :lol:

I wasnt planning on changing my charger, just wondered if they are 'upgradeable' so to speak.

On turbo'd cars you can swap a T3 for a T4 etc etc and create different boost and engine characteristics (as im sure we all know) - just wondered really if this was the case with superchargers as well - but i doesnt sound like its as straightfoward as a turbo swap

cheers for advice :D

Not a problem, happy to help. The trend with supercharged engines is to make the best of what you have got. Typically this entails various stages of tuning but be careful there are alot of "red herrings" out there. The primary concern before any tuning is done is to make good the basic set up, and top of the list must be the charger itself. A sorted G60 with a sensible tuning package can easily return 225BHP and still give oe reliability and 32 MPG.