Sign in to follow this  
Dboy

MOT Question

Does anybody know the score with regards to tail light tint and MOTs?

I havent had to have my C MOT'd since i bought it, but its due in a few weeks. I bought the car with the top half of the light cluster (yellow indicator bit) tinted. whoever done it made a decent job of it and left the reversing lights as they were. Im just wondering if it will go through the MOT ok with the tint on? You can see the indicators flashing through the tint.

anybody know :?:

The top half of mine were tinted and went throu the MOT fine, as long as there not to dark and a good amount of light passes throu it should be fine

Different MOT stations will have preferences on what they think is acceptable. You may find that they are not happy with the tint so bear that in mind. If you take the car to a smaller out fit they are normally kinder as they have less to loose IMO.

bournemouth james said he had seen a tint removal spray - has anyone else heard about this? In the event it needs to be taken off , this would probably be a cheaper option than buying a new set?

any ideas?

8)

I've never had a problem with a top tint on my cars before. As long as they're not

too dark you'll pass with them on.

No problem with the frosty film I have on mine either.

Passed through a MOT at a large Seat garage no problemo.

VW - 1 week waiting list for MoT.

Seat - "we could fit you in in about an hour"

Same size outfits in Derby (i.e. huuge).

Madness.

I did my old Golf ones with a spray and made them alot darker than the originals (half tint) - the light went through fine and was never a prob for MOT's - I have just aquired another set for the C so I am planning to do the same soon.

BTW - on the spray it does say its removable (its about £8 from wilco's) and its available in colours altho they look crap (blue, green etc and you'll never get the red to match the other red on the lights)

I am an MOT tester, and know that my colleagues in this field will interpret the MOT testers guide with their own judgement. When i have been presented with such situations i am looking for emitted light levels, the colour of the light emitted and overall a clear interpretation of the signalling ability of the vehicle in question. Many cars as standard have tinted light clusters, so this in itself is not a reason for rejection, moreover it is the manner by which it has been achieved. At the end of the day if you are concerned about this issue, and don't wish to be faced with a failure accompanied by the prospect of re-presenting the car, then ask your intended tester if they consider your lights to be a reason for rejection.

bournemouth james said he had seen a tint removal spray - has anyone else heard about this? In the event it needs to be taken off , this would probably be a cheaper option than buying a new set?

any ideas?

Evostik Solvent (called glue remover for legal reasons) or Cellulose thinners will remove it without damaging the plastic. It's cheaper than proprietary removers too.

So long as the light emitted is orange and brighter than the tail lights, you'll be OK. If they flash red, then it will fail.

Kev