Sign in to follow this  
_leon_

Supersprint manifold vs Milltek Hi Flo downpipe and porting

I'm deciding on this at the moment and can't choose. I'm replacing my entire exhaust system with supersprint pipes/boxes front to back for my G60...

Has anyone experience or a view on which is perhaps a better choice (expecting Andycowuk to comment sooner or later :))? The price seems to be around the same. Issues concerning me are sizing + fitment, durability and performance.

Any help would be appreciated and I reckon this could be a useful discussion for quite a few folk

Leon

I had the ported manifold and downpipe fiited a few months to the existing Miltek system. No extra noise but note is definitely deeper. Most noticeable gain seems to be in mid range torque, the car pulls cleanly from less than 30mph in fifth which it would not do before. Definitely made an improvement and if I could turn the clock back I would still have it done. One word of advice is to have the work done by John - I was there when it was done and it was not something I'd have liked to have tackled, not difficult just very time consuming.

What was the fitting like with the existing Miltek system? Any problems? The thought of having to remove the manifold first, then fit it all sounds expensive to me. perhaps I'm wrong, but initial impressions... What condition was your manifold in before getting it ported? And what was it like on return?

Anyone with experience of the supersprint manifold please SHOUT!

No problems with fitting onto the original Miltek system at all. I may be wrong but John usually allows 5 hours for fitting, its an involved process, as I was having it all done by him he had a pre-prepared manifold for me, when you compare the overlap that is removed between the manifold and downpipe you really appreciate how the gas flow is improved. The porting is an absolute bargain when you see how much metal is removed and the time it takes to remove it.

ok - I'd be interested to know how well this downpipe would fit with a supersprint system... Only thing is, I am in Scotland so this route may be a tad difficult.

Still very keen to hear opinions on the 4 branch...

The flange on my downpipe is knackered as is the front pipe, given that the pipe is looking tired and a new exhaust system is being bought, may aswell go the whole hog next month :)

I know Supersprint have a good rep because unlike other companies there products are developed and dynod for each individual application. So I’ve heard!!

As I see it, and by all means correct me if there is a point I am missing..... if you have £350, to my mind there is no point paying to have your current setup modified to behave a bit like a tubular manifold, when you can by a good tubular manifold and sell the old manifold on ebay.

I am very happy with my manifold, but I must point out I have no experience driving my car with either the std item (limped home 5 miles with dodgy brakes before pulling the car appart) or ported manifold with miltek d/p so cannot make any kind of contrast.

Does the SuperSprint 4 branch manifold also replace the downpipe - if not I'm struggling to see the benefit because whilst your improving the gas flow through the manifold it will immediately become restricted when it reaches the restrictive front pipe

i too am very happy with my 4 branch amnifold. there ace do it.

tho one thing i will point out.

its LHD application.

this means youll need a custom heatshield (piece of piss) or it melts through the steering rack gaiter.

tho the best thing to do is have the manifld wrapped for cooler in bay temps and more power apparently.

i bought wrap to do mine, but i bought WAY too little and had to have it fitted without :cry: would save the heatshield on the gaiter too.

ps, it also mates perfectly to my supersprint de cat centre and back box and i havent heard the system knock once.

very happy.

cool - I'm starting to feel more inclined to the 4 branch manifold idea tbh. I'm still very much interested to hear opinions from both sides though. For simplicity alone the supersprint block to rear pipe route would be easier I think.

Andy, what do you reckon I could expect for selling the existing manifold on ebay?

Thanks for the help guys - very much appreciated! :)

and yeah I have read that wrapping the manifold is quite important so will look into it - thanks Brian

i probably should have, but I didnt wrap my fanimold or put a heat sheild on the steering joint gaitor, and its been fine for the best part of 18 months.

Dont know how much you would get.... cant see any current or complete auctions. I threw mine away, and remember feeling ill when someone told me i could have sold it for more than just a few pounds...... may be that was a load of tosh tho.....

for the sake of about 35p I could find out for you how much they go for on eBay ;) I would probably put it up either here or there. Andy did you fit your supersprint system yourself? (exc the manifold) I'm guessing it can easily be done yourself and that I'd have to get somewhere to fit the manifold - probably a nightmare of a job.

ears still open to thoughts... :)

actually, more like the other way round.... manifold itself is fine to fit... except its got to come up over the top (so inlet manifold and fuel rail need to be moved out the way). The danger that exists, is that the studs sheer in the head....thats what happened to me, and because I decided to send the head away for port and polish while it was off.....i couldnt afford the heat wrap!

Given that your nuts were coming loose(:lol:), this should hopefully be ok.

While you can fit a system from under the car by jacking it up and lying underneath, it is really anoying to do...... its much easier to fling it on at home, then drive to a local exhaust place and get them to straighten it up for a tenner!

thats interesting tbh. you reckon an afternoon would sort it all out then without having to take the car in (apart from correcting the fit of the exhaust...)?? What about removal of the existing manifold and downpipe? Think these could be brought over the top too?

What about removal of the existing manifold and downpipe? Think these could be brought over the top too?
Manifold & front pipe must be removed from the engine bay - there's no room between the subframe & bulkhead to get the frontpipe out from underneath.

If you're going to fit a 4-branch manifold/front pipe, you must also fit a solid front engine mounting. The 4-branch has no flex in it & will crack easily if the engine starts to rock in it's mountings.

So Steve, they could be removed over the top then?

I've just had a VT Fast Road front mount and both rears replaced with new OEM mounts. Would this be 'solid' enough?

Sure. But I can't see how my 3 mounts I fitted last month (including Vibrtechnics Fast Road front) should be a problem for it. Engine movement is now minimal although the setup does allow for a little movement although very restricted. Is a solid REALLY necessary? I need convinced...

well pput it this way. i;ve had mine for ages. and its on std mounts, im convinced the front one is shagged too, i have a better EIP one to go on, but til the the 4 branch has been fine, and i give the car death on the bumpiest back roads round by my house.

it aint cracked, just blows at the gasket to the cat when under load, but i do recomend gettin it done

some new mounts would hopefully sort the blowing then! What I can say is I recommend getting all new mounts in - it was expensive but the results are good

hardly any movement when taking the foot off the pedal now! but thanks Brian - thats convinced me it should be fine :)