Sign in to follow this  
monVR6

Weeping Engine Mount ????? VR6

Hi all - OK - was under the bonnet today and noticed that the right-hand engine mount - (when looking into the engine bay from the front) - appears to be leaking !! I am a bit thick when it comes to technical stuff, but mounts are dry right - so where is this coming from?? The rest of the bay is completely dry. A burning rubber smell developed on the way home yesterday, could these be linked?? Thanks everyone.

OE engine mounts are oil filled for better vibration damping. It's horrid thick black oil too, so it's never going to go away..

Get the mount changed.

It did look pretty damn horrid !! Thanks - I'll get it sorted - is it worth doing other mounts at the same time - (money/wife permitting) ??

They're independant jobs, so the labour isn't going to be any lower by doing them all together, so it's up to you.

dr_mat, When you say OE.. Is that purely with regards to the VR mounts or all OE mounts... i.e on the G60?

I have a load of black gunge on my engine by the rear mount. Never figured out where it came from?

Mount is shot, just haven't had time to change it.

Dunno, I never replaced a mount on a G60, but it's probably the same thing, certainly your evidence alone suggests it is..

Certainly the gearbox mount on a VR is oil filled and you can replace it with an OE Mk2 Golf Diesel one. It's a straight swap, but it's solid rubber rather than oil filled.

If you have a search, you might even be able to find a part number, but they're about £8 from GSF.

So is this easy to change? I did one on an old Audi 80 years ago and it was pretty much loosen the bolts and jack the joint open to remove the mount - replace, release jack and bolt up. Am I on the right lines?

The front mount is fairly easy, but I think the gearbox mount is a bit of a c*$£ not 100% sure tho cos I just gave it to the local garage and said fix it :)

From what I heard it's the rear engine mount that's a PITA, simply because of access being so tight. The gearbox mount is supposed to be pretty simple. But then, I didn't do mine either, so I could be wrong.. :)

dr_mat is right there - I've just had all 3 mounts changed on my G60 and the mechanic had exactly those words to say. However, that was a non-VW garage that did the front and gbox ones. On taking it to place that was full of VW enthusiasts (you always bloody find them after youve just taken your car somewhere else...) they had it sorted quick sharpish :)

But definately sounds like its a done mount... Positive my original front made a mess like this...

the only problem with the gearbox mount is the fact that the ABS pump limits access somewhat...

Rear engine mount can be an utter **** to get at

Front's pretty easy on all 4cylinder models, but IIRC is a little more tricky on the VR due to the larger radiator and twin fans...

front g60 can be a right arse.. Had to take the rad fan off in the end so i could get my VT mount in.

done mine on the vr and probably took an hour to do the rear and the gearbox mount

its just location thats the problem , to change them is easy, use two socket extension bars linked together and it makes the job a whole lot easier

Be extra carefull when

jackin up the front half

of the car,sometimes the

engine mount rips right

out sending stinking hyd? oil

everywere...

OK - got a mount from GSF and had another look at the offender. Looks to me like there is a horizontal metal joint bolted to the gearbox/engine, held on by three horizontal bolts. The other end of this joint has a bolt vertically through the mount. So, do I remove the vertical bolt, then the three horizontal ones to remove the metal joint - and so have access to remove the mount itself?? Is there anything to be aware of if I do tackle it this way?? Or am I talking c**p ??

just undo the main mount bolt then jack the engine up using a piece of wood to save damaging the sump, then undo the mount bolts 13mm iirc and remove and replace ,dont fully tighten the main mount bolt (centre) until you have lowered the engine back on to it , so it sits correctly

job done :-)