Yandards

Yandards' 16VG60 - Running Report 23 Jul 15

I've done close to 100k on my Hi-Specs,can't fault them,Make sure the hoses are the right length,the corrados are longer then the Golfs.They did make a note of it when I bought mine,so you should be ok.easier for me,as they are only 1/2hr away

I've done close to 100k on my Hi-Specs,can't fault them,Make sure the hoses are the right length,the corrados are longer then the Golfs.They did make a note of it when I bought mine,so you should be ok.easier for me,as they are only 1/2hr away

good feedback thanks dragon

did you increase rotor diameter or do they fit onto standard size VR discs?

Do not fit standard discs !

Their discs are more recessed so the calipers fit behind a standard wheel.Mine are 280 mm but they do go larger

Do not fit standard discs !

Their discs are more recessed so the calipers fit behind a standard wheel.Mine are 280 mm but they do go larger

sorry, I did mean just the size of the rotor in terms of standard

ive had a look at their site & can see they do options for rotor size

have you any idea if when using a 280mm rotor they will fit behind 15" speedlines?

I only know that they fit ok behind a 15" estoril

tidy!

thank you kindly for your replies

1 last if I may - how do you find them in comparison to the old standard brake setup?

I really rate them,stop really well,huge weight saving over the originals,I found red EBC pads worked best for me,Hi-Spec customer service is really good,they give a discount for returning customers

I really rate them,stop really well,huge weight saving over the originals,I found red EBC pads worked best for me,Hi-Spec customer service is really good,they give a discount for returning customers

again, cracking info thank you

im currently running standard calipers with EBC USR disc & green stuff pads all round & thinking of going for the red stuff pads next time

the hispec sound like a good option to get better braking but retain the speedlines - I have no idea when I could stretch funds to bigger wheels to fit brembo's for example

again, cracking info thank you

im currently running standard calipers with EBC USR disc & green stuff pads all round & thinking of going for the red stuff pads next time

the hispec sound like a good option to get better braking but retain the speedlines - I have no idea when I could stretch funds to bigger wheels to fit brembo's for example

I didn't want to move away from stock wheel size of 15" as that is what the car is designed for so good to know they fit under Estorils.

Not compared the supplied disc offset with the stock G60 items as I don't have the car at the moment - will do that when I do the conversion, hopefully I can work out what the discs are off too.

I had a photo of the two discs laying flat,I've spent nearly an hour looking for them !

Probably turn up after you've compared them !

One step forward two back..

Got most of my required spares to sort the belt issue along with a new FPR at 3 bar instead of 4 bar.

Had to order some belts for collection as Amazon failed to meet their delivery quote and have still not managed to get one belt here yet.

Got the belt system rebuilt and have about the right tension on the damper - still need to replace one pulley for a stock G60 item along with a slightly longer belt to suit but its all off the shelf VW stuff then as alongside the G60 idler pulleys the other 2 are 1Z diesel engine cambelt idlers.

Temp repair on the inlet manifold servo vacuum line sorted, started her up and she still runs badly at idle.

Much head scratching and then fired up the MFA into diagnostic mode to provide a boost pressure reading - pretty much running at atmospheric pressure at idle which is rubbish.

Lots of hoses squeezed, disconnected and generally fiddled with but no change in either the reading or the idle condition sadly.

Called it a day there to get her back home where I can do some proper investigation.

Went out this morning to trial fit the new brakes, the discs still had the EBC part number on them so I now know they are from a Ford and that the offset is about 5mm more than a stock G60 disc.

Sadly the calipers don't quite clear the G60 BBS wheels - a mere 3mm infact, so I am ordering some 5mm spacers for all 4 wheels, not ideal but as I am on 195 width tyres they will be 5mm under 205 width tyres when fitted.

As for the idle issues I suspect the inlet manifold may be a bit dodgy, so will be removing after lunch for a check, taking it off also gives better access to the other components that may be at fault.

On a brighter note there must be more performance in the engine given the vacuum/boost leak! :)

mate, sounds like you're having a right old mare! chin up and all that, it'll be fantastic once finished

If you find out what the discs are from,could you post the outcome please ?

Would JMR have you required belts ?

Good luck

If you find out what the discs are from,could you post the outcome please ?

Would JMR have you required belts ?

Good luck

Yup, EBC part number is D813 and they are listed as from a range of Fords including the Mondeo 4WD, Cougar and others, although it seems to have a bigger centre bore. Will do some measuring and report back.

I can get belts easy enough as its 6pk and then the length in mm, its just not easy to work how a pulley size increase from 78mm up to 90mm when the belt is in contact with 270 degrees of that pulley will have on overall belt length, 6mm is the radial increase at max in each 90 degree segment so a belt length increase of 18mm should be about right from the 1510mm version I am running at the moment.

Dragon Green,

Doing some digging and it looks like Hi-Spec re-drill the D813 discs, I have managed to find some alternative items that may fit off the shelf from a Renault Captur of all things - you might need 3mm more wheel width clearance and 3mm milling off the caliper carrier to hub mounting face but its a once only application instead of mucking around getting 4 x 100 PCD holes drilled in discs..

Only other issue is that the centre bore hole diameter is 4mm smaller than stock but only 2.5mm smaller than the Ford disc.

Please see attachment for disc images and comparison info: [ATTACH=CONFIG]81967[/ATTACH]

In other news, the inlet manifold is off - its not 100% flat so a new one is on order along with a boost return re-jig too.

Ripped out the centre console so I can wire in the additional instrument gauges (boost and oil pressure) and then spent the afternoon re-wiring the stereo after the horrific job I seem to have done 10 years ago, decided to label a few wires just so I know next time I am in the area.

Might do the full set of tappets while I have the inlet off - it still sounds quite tractor like at idle despite the other issues and its a bit easier in terms of access.

Nothing like a 2 week deadline for getting the car back in one piece and it still needs a good polish too!

Good few days of work.

Yet another German supplier of spare parts has failed to deliver on time despite their website stating 'stock' against all the bits I ordered.

Had to make a dash for spares supply (some brake pipe unions) as the drivers side front solid line nut was not coming undone, made up a new line and completed the caliper fit and then bled the brakes. Had some debris from the N/S rear caliper which I wasn't expecting so hopefully the pedal feel will be coming back; on a brighter note only 2 original brake lines left on the car now!

Then it was interior rebuild post centre console removal for aux gauges fit, stereo re-wiring works ok and the voltmeter on the headunit is giving a reading within battery volts +/- 0.5V again now so the old wiring was not brilliant. Sadly the 2 metal brackets that hold the aux gauge panel in are something I do have but are located several hundred miles away so had to do without for now. Gauges (boost and oil pressure) are working nicely so pleased otherwise.

Got the new set of INA tappets through so fitted them yesterday, no major dramas aside from the Haynes MK 2 Goof manual being a lying b***ard about the torque loading required on the distributor - cue some stripped threads and a partial dismantle so I could helicoil the end cap.

On looking at the removed inlet manifold it was clear the gasket had fairly good contact throughout due to witness marking - closer inspection revealed some pitting through the casting manufacturing process near 1 and 4 inlets so I used some instant gasket as well as the proper gasket to try to improve the seal. This worked as I now have some vacuum at idle now although I am not sure if it is enough or its just the way the engine behaves normally.

Finished up with an oil change, then a good engine bay clean up and off this afternoon for a quick test drive to see if everything is working ok, then its onto a spot of buffing for Sunday.

On the still to do list the inlet manifold and boost return are being replaced when the spares arrive, this should sort some clearance issues at the front and fix the dodgy manifold problem.

I also need to sort the block breathing arrangement as it ends up firing oily vapour around the catch tank area and fumes end up in the cabin, not pleasant at all, there seem to be some options but I suspect a better catch can with a baffle plate will help and I can also fit an inline oil separator to assist the process further if required.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81998[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]81999[/ATTACH]

Update on progress so far.

After rebuilding the car ready for the CCGB National Day at RIAT and managing to get it buffed up, I popped out for a quick shakedown and some fuel on the Saturday night before, car feels a lot more responsive on throttle and revs much better - idle still not great as its hunting around the 750 RPM mark but again better than before and the fuel stink from the catch can has pretty much gone.

Drive over to RIAT was good, brakes not bedded in yet so can't really report on those as an upgrade, stopped at RIAT and the car wouldn't start again - battery is fecked, I knew it was a bit ropey but it has been ok up until then. Luckily the next Corrado to arrive appeared with a jump starter in the boot (thanks Sarah and Neil) so got it going and kept it running through the various checkpoints etc.

This presented another issue - cooling, whilst I didn't see anything higher than 112 deg C oil and 100 deg C water temp in traffic during the morning or afternoon the fan is already running at full speed and I had the heater on full blow as well, on a brighter note more heat usually means more power being generated..

As I wasn't really driving the car hard I think my coolant system lacks a bit of capacity especially when stuck in traffic, options for the future include trying to squeeze the largest radiator fitted to the Corrado in there - the G60 aircon one at 675mm core width but I will need to tweak mounting holes in the rad support panel as I am one hole over due to the intercooler pipework at the battery end of the engine bay.

I have been trying to source a small fan to fit behind the oil cooler for a while with the intent of running that from the stage 2 temp selection on the fan, as the oil cooler sits where the stock intercooler lives on the G60 it has its own airduct direct from the front lower grille so would respond well to that. Finally managed to get a Spal fan complete with shroud - its about 10mm too width and 20mm too short on the shroud to correctly fit my narrow (115mm) 19 row oil cooler but will be better than just shoving a fan straight on the back.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82023[/ATTACH]

Hey Yan, anymore updates?

I finally got my 16vG on a rolling road yesterday, 241 with 215 torque.

Thanks for all the advice over the years, made my life alot easier!

Hey Yan, anymore updates?

I finally got my 16vG on a rolling road yesterday, 241 with 215 torque.

Thanks for all the advice over the years, made my life alot easier!

Glad to hear yours is complete and putting out some healthy power, what's the driveability like?

As for mine, got the manifold in late August and just couldn't be bothered with it - give it a good dry weekend and it will all be done ready for another go at mapping it.

She's a dream to drive!!

Dumped the isv and drilled the throttle body and it transformed the idle and how she acted at low revs coming to a stop.

I haven't read too far back but from what I did read your nearly there!!

What manifold did you go for this time

One from BarTek, its a better item comparing the casting quality, also has ISV connections to shift about as not happy with the pipe size and location compared to a stock G60.

Glad to hear it was worth the effort from your end.

Ah I see, hope it all works out now!

I had alot of issues with the isv, binned it a few weeks back and the engine is alot happier without it!

Looking forward to your next updates!!

hi mate what brake servo vacuum hose have you used i have had a look throu all 55 pages

& could not wot the hose was off btw nice buld:thumbleft:

hi mate what brake servo vacuum hose have you used i have had a look throu all 55 pages

& could not wot the hose was off btw nice buld:thumbleft:

I think it's simply a Corrado or maybe MK3 VR6 item but sure Yan will confirm...