Yandards

Yandards' 16VG60 - Running Report 23 Jul 15

that's what i was going by... you've had that ASD box in there for a while though and it was shifting fine last year... you had the ASD fitted then yeah??

yeah alex, was scratching my head for a while when i first installed it,trying to work out the tower and different angles on tdi tower.Every gear bar 3and 4 was a pain in the a$$ to engage.Original tower sorted it.

was it same for you?

yeah alex, was scratching my head for a while when i first installed it,trying to work out the tower and different angles on tdi tower.Every gear bar 3and 4 was a pain in the a$$ to engage.Original tower sorted it.

was it same for you?

Not fitted mine yet, trying to get the car MOT'd first. Will also need a good clean I think, the box looks a little tatty!

yands,your having the same problem i did when i put the ASD box into my G60. keep the original shifter tower,its much better cause tdi one the cable are stressed at certain angles!

Its selecting ok now after I adjusted the throw on the cable for the shifter tower height. Cables feel ok through the range although 5th was a bit sticky until I relocated a pipe and the back of the ISV to clear the balance weights when it is in 5th gear.

Did you also replace the cable to gearbox attachment bracket that swaps the cables over from side by side to one on top of the other?

Will need to take it out on a diagnostic run tomorrow to check the brakes and fill up wth petrol etc, hoping the gear selection feels ok but if not I can always put the original shifter tower back in.

It takes a little while for the 'stuff' in the Redline to work it's way into the syncros too (PTFE I reckon)

Just drive around in first gear :lol:

It takes a little while for the 'stuff' in the Redline to work it's way into the syncros too (PTFE I reckon)

Just drive around in first gear :lol:

I did a bit yesterday, when I say gear selection was an issue it was finding the right gear in the right place than an issue making the selection once I knew where the various gears where given the tower height cable was in the wrong place.

Did you also replace the cable to gearbox attachment bracket that swaps the cables over from side by side to one on top of the other?

Will need to take it out on a diagnostic run tomorrow to check the brakes and fill up wth petrol etc, hoping the gear selection feels ok but if not I can always put the original shifter tower back in.

I believe i used g60 one because tdi puts it at a different angle.been a while since i done it but pretty sure i kept g60 one

I believe i used g60 one because tdi puts it at a different angle.been a while since i done it but pretty sure i kept g60 one

Tdi shifter tower is designed to work with the Tdi cable support bracket, propbably why your gear selection was a little rubbish. The cables come out of the builkhead the same way on a Tdi powered car and the later Corrados also use the one on top setup as oppossed to the earlier side by side arrangement. I think the cable length is a little longer but after tweaking mine I know the issue lies in getting the cables fixed to the shifter tower in the correct spot.

Steve, frankly if it works right now then it can stay like it - I don't feel the need to start thinking about mods to the car right now although I do have a rear end underside and brakes overhaul planned for the winter as the rear beam is looking nasty and the only MOT advisories were the rear beam solid lines.

Brakes all sorted, just need some tax and a quick wash and wax and shes ready to go!

Some pictures of the current installation and belt tensioning setup prior to the engine refit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47741[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47742[/ATTACH]

Edited by Yandards

Right small update.

Just over 1000 miles covered during the run down and back from BVF so the engine is well run in now. Got an issue with 5th gear de-selecting when coming off the throttle which made the trip down and back up interesting, have made a lot of adjustments on the cable so the next line of attack will be to swap the shifter tower back to the older style one from the original gearbox to see if that cures if. If not then 5th gear is relatively easy to get to for furthur fault finding.

Car was pretty well behaved on the journey, the oil breathing system needs another line feeding into the boost return to stop it firing an oil mist over the inner turret, as I am running a stock 16v block breather and hose I can used the small take off piece for a narrow bore hose which should solve the problem.

Fuelling is way out and only really held in place by the lambda, despite that I did open her up a bit more on last leg through the twisties and it pulls really very well indeed. So plan now is to sort the gear shifting issue out, fabricate an undertray, run another oi breather line and then get it mapped correctly.

Was very impressed on how the car was looking down at BVF! Doing a 1000 miles for the first run was brave but seems your close to getting it all set-up as you want it.

I found the cause of the gearbox issue on Friday afternoon, I had ordered up a new syncro ring for 5th to fix the issue of it popping out of 5th when I come off the throttle pedal.

On removing the gearbox end plate I was suprised to find this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48163[/ATTACH]

There was some heat damage to the paint on the end casing so it would seem that the only thing holding my 5th gear in has been the end plate for the last 1200 miles!!

Amazing it all still continued to work without any major issue that I could not drive around and the three small pieces of metal that retain the syncro mechanism and one of large metal rings were just floating around in the casing so it was lucky one of those didn't get stuck in the gears.

All rebuilt now and working perfectly, shift is much nicer although I need to adjust the height selection cable slightly to improve the shift feel.

Been giving it a bit more loud pedal recently just to see what it's like, when it wants to pull properly it feels very quick but the fuelling is off most of the time and I have to keep it off the wide open throttle microswitch or it all goes very wrong. The idle is still very rough and I have an occasional missfire at all points through the rev range - I suspect this is fuelling but I will be pulling the spark plugs at the weekend and doing a compression test to see if everything is settling down properly.

I suspect the supercharger drive belt is a little bit too tight so I am looking at longer options now, I want to swap out the 2 pulleys I am currently using for the idler rollers for a set of standard ones to make maintainance easier in the longer term so I need to factor that into the belt length guesswork.

The only other engine issue is the oil breather continues to vent a little oil mist over the O/S/F inner wing area, it's a cheap K&N style item so I plan to replace it with a proper K&N one to see if that improves things prior to adding an extra oil breather line back to boost return.

Sheeet - was the the box you bought or one you rebuilt??

Box that was bought, aside from that it has been working without any issues!

This build and your skills are incredible, absolutely immense.

I think we must buy our luck from the same shop Yan! What caused that? The bolt not being tightened enough?

I don't think either the main shaft or the 5th gear bolt where done up more than finger tight, as it was miss-behaving with 5th gear selection from the start. It was a cheap box for the specification and had not been tested so there was always a slight gamble with it. If I had more time prior to the run down to BVF I would have pulled the end plate earlier to see what was going on. It's only been the end case that has stopped the bolts coming out completely so its a good advert for how durable the gearbox is - no wonder I had to double de-clutch and rev match to get it to engage 5th!

I think I may have to clean the earths up a touch as my in car voltage meter is not showing more than 12v during the charging phase post start, I would expect to see numbers closer to 13v just after an engine start as the alternator is working to charge the battery, that would also explain the complete lack of extra revs during the cold start phase as well and the generally poor idle behaviour, another job for Friday along with the comp test, oil change and a few other bits, the joys of a rolling prototype I guess!

Aide, thanks it's been through a few evolutions to get it where it is now and there is always a better way to do something once you have it worked out the first time!

I need Ham.

How's your excitor circuit for the Alternator Yan? Or the Alt itself? Had a similar thing happen on mine and I replaced the Alt. More or less immediately after the car starts, the voltage increases to 14.4V then gradually reduces to the normal running voltage of 13.8-14.

I need updates!

Its been parked in the garage unused for 2 months getting dusty...

Seriously though it comes off the road for the winter shortly and I need to get a closer ECU map or I am going to make a mess of the cylinder bores with the over fuelling - not a problem on a long run on the motorway as the lambda sorts it out on closed loop with adaption but short running and lots of starts makes a mess of it. I have been chatting with my chip coder to get a closer map prior to a custom session though.

Kev, the voltage gauge is built into the head unit (now old Pioneer AVIC-X1 sat nav unit) but it has proven to be pretty acurate in the past - although it has stopped seeing the illumination signal so I need to check the charging volts at the alternator and battery from a cold start up to see if it is making the correct levels. Another job I have just not got around to as the car isn't going anywhere at the moment!

I have sourced an undertray from the old B4 Passat TDi estate (which Mrs Yan managed to write off recently) before it was taken away so I want to trial fit that on the 2 post life in the car club prior to the winter layup; it should nicely as the inner wings have the same mounting points, just need to get the leading edge attached cleanly although a sheet of black ABS plastic is easy enough to work with.

Long list of jobs to do over the winter like drop the rear beam, front and rear bumper metal work off to the galvanisers, refurb the front calipers and replace some more brake lines and work through the engine shakedown issues mentioned previously.

Ooops sorry about that Jan, just popped in to see whether you had fitted that box I built so long ago. Guess I must of dropped the ball at the last minute. Don't worry though I definitely gave all the case bolt that extra quarter turn as per the bentley manual. Btw I always found the diesel tower with weight and bracket gave a much better shifting feel than the old G60 item, but that could of been due to age.

EDIT: Ahh I remember now! I left the fifth gear bolts just as tight as I could get them with the intention of tightening them fully once the box was fitted as it's pretty hard to keep the gear box still when your trying to torque them bolts up fully. Sorry I must of forgotten to tell you that. Sorry mate.

Edited by CTWG60

Ooops sorry about that Jan, just popped in to see whether you had fitted that box I built so long ago. Guess I must of dropped the ball at the last minute. Don't worry though I definitely gave all the case bolt that extra quarter turn as per the bentley manual. Btw I always found the diesel tower with weight and bracket gave a much better shifting feel than the old G60 item, but that could of been due to age.

EDIT: Ahh I remember now! I left the fifth gear bolts just as tight as I could get them with the intention of tightening them fully once the box was fitted as it's pretty hard to keep the gear box still when your trying to torque them bolts up fully. Sorry I must of forgotten to tell you that. Sorry mate.

No drama, it all got sorted in the end and was an easy fix once I checked it.

Although after putting the nugget back to factory spec boost plumbing I now understand why folks have issues with the selector tower, the gearbox balance weight fitted to the later Corrados than you can retrofit to the earlier cars does not fit a G60 with factory boost hoses - I fitted my balance weight when I fitted the BBM boost pipework which does give enough clearance.

I have a new ECU chip sat on the desk to go in the car this afternoon, it is a better map but might need some tweaking, unfortunately the weather up here is terrible so its only going to be an warm up and idle check but as the engine knocks very badly during the warm up phase right now it should be very noticeable if this new map helps.

New MAP is in, still running very rich at warm up but the car seems happier, not sure if my catch can had anything in it before hand but it was half full of gunk when I had finished - mostly full and some mositure from over the winter I suspect, just need to check CO and timing but hopefully the wideband log file that is on route to the 'ECU MAPs by post' tuner will mean some more progress.

Edited by Yandards