Yandards

Yandards' 16VG60 - Running Report 23 Jul 15

Another Kings Lynn Corrado :) Good luck with the MOT Tomorrow. Mine was last week. If you need to set the car up for emissions i may be able to help. Thats what the company i work for sells so i have access to emissions whenever. can't help with the mapping though.

Glad to hear it's getting some attention again mate. Looking forward to the big day when you finally get her mapped! If you wanted to consider getting it done at Stealth Racing, you'd be more than welcome to crash over here if they needed a couple of days at it.

Kings Lynn Eh? Lucky you! Through choice?

Er, no, job enforced move and not quite in Kings Lynn, more Marham, but moving again in a fortnight thankfully.

Jim, got someone lined up for the ECU MAP, will be even closer shortly so that will be easier.

I thought as much, I'm at Coningsby myself. Well I was, now a few weeks short of being a free man again! Where you off to next?

I thought as much, I'm at Coningsby myself. Well I was, now a few weeks short of being a free man again! Where you off to next?

Brize, 1st time I have got something I wanted off the list of 3 since 1998, finally got a ground eng job on Hercs.

Brize, 1st time I have got something I wanted off the list of 3 since 1998, finally got a ground eng job on Hercs.

Small world Yan, my brother lives just up the road in Minster Lovell.

Ian.

Ian, its a lot more central which is good.

Well the run down the hill to drop it off for the MOT was not good, brake pedal back to full squishy mode, so I am getting air into the system somewhere, that and I was reminded that it runs very badly cold!

After a spot of thinking and some digging I suspect the rear beam brake compensator is shot, it moved freely when I was bleeding the brakes yesterday and stayed there, forgot that it should be stiff to move..

So a new one is on route after tracking down a proper ATE flavoured item - not too annoyed as the original has been there since 1989 and is one of the few parts of the brake system that has not been replaced or overhauled.

It may still go through the MOT as you only need to achieve drum brake performance after all.

Congrats, I used to be from Benson before Coningsby and the wife is from just outside Chipping Norton. Ace part of the world. I'm currently trying to worm my way into Air Tanker as an option.

Any luck Yan?

Failed, need to replace the O/S rear beam solid brake line and the N/S one is an advisory so will do that too.

Brake compensator has just arrived so I am off out in a bit to get those jobs done and in for a re-test on Tuesday.

Everything else is a pass but 2 advisories issued for slight play in rear wheel bearings - which is fine as they as supposed to have that, must get around to the 'proper' rear bearing modification.

Productive day, checked to see if I could split the pipes on rear beam first, managed to get 3 to loosen and one was going to need cutting so I could get a extractor on it, lucky as I only had one new pipe union nut and VW didn't have any either. New pipes made up and flared using the genuine VW pipe the brake pipe kit I bought a while ago continues to perform well.

Rear beam compensator was the easiest job of the day, straight in and out done in 20 minutes!

Re-bled the brakes and got a lot of air out, new compensator felt a lot more positive than the old one despite the old one being free to move, notably the brake fluid flowed more freely and I did have to open the bleed valves a lot less - fluid is nice and clean now though and the electric pressure bleeder continues to pay for itself.

Took the opportunity to clean the rear wheel whilst they were off, came up nicely.

Final check with it back on the floor and the brake pedal feels good and firm right now, have to check again tomorrow to see if it acquires air again.

Only original brake lines on the car are now one rear line from the compensator to the rear beam and the front pair - all of which will need doing over the next couple of years - not bad for a car that's over 25 now.

MOT passed, speedo still over reads by 10 mph so already had another fiddle with that and decided to fit the German spoiler control module I have had for ages.

Brakes are better but still not great, suspect its the combination of lack of use and still a bit of air in the system, might have another shot at bleeding them tomorrow but at least they don't go squish anymore.

Next job is house move then onto a spot of ECU mapping..

Great news mate :) I look forward to seeing this car on the road at some point this year and even getting a passenger ride in it. We should really do a feature on it too for the club website, given the unique engine!

Sigh.

Well after a fantastic drive over to my friendly neighbourhood ECU mapping expert it all started going downhill.

Idle still a bag of spanners and could not get that to adjust although its not as rich as it was.

Went for a drive to see how the rest of it was and no dramas although idle was still rough, Dave suggested we swap the FPR for a 3 bar instead of 4 bar as it causes idle fuelling issues, no stock on a shelf anywhere, Dave tried a friend no joy so we ended up borrowing one from the Golf temporarily instead.

Still with a poor idle but not as rich as before we headed out for another setup run - going well until a thunking noise from under the bonnet at just under 7k, ribbed belt was destroying itself. Managed to pick the debris out and made it back to Dave's on a 3 ribs instead of the full 6.

New belt sourced from Euro car parts 15 mins before closing and replaced with a bit of swearing (due to V belt setup driving both PAS and water pumps the ribbed belt goes between them) then back out. Another clunk at high RPM followed by an alternator light on the dash.

Limped back again to find another shredded belt which had come off the crank pulley this time.

Tracked the issue down to an idler roller moving, its an aluminium cylinder with a bearing having been pushed into it - as its got hot the cylinder has moved on the bearing causing the misfeed.

Also found the brake servo vac line connection on the manifold is rubbish - probably causing the rough idle.

So jobs to do are new FPR at 3 bar, source a new idler, new ribbed and V belt (last belt failure has messed this one up too), recover vac line fitting to make it air tight.

Hey ho...

Is the standard G60 FPR 3 bar mate? If so I might have one sitting in a box from my old Corrado G60.. though it's not been on a car in at least 10 years so no idea if it's in good shape or not.

Is the standard G60 FPR 3 bar mate? If so I might have one sitting in a box from my old Corrado G60.. though it's not been on a car in at least 10 years so no idea if it's in good shape or not.

Alas not, I have the newer smaller style unit as per the 1.8T and everything else on the planet it seems.

Got all the spares ordered so hopefully they will all arrive in time, get to see how good ebay and Amazon's delivery quote times are now..

Despite my recent belt tensioner issues I had already ordered some shinny new 4 pot front brake calipers to replace the G60 ones, this was mostly due to the brakes still being a bit rubbish despite numerous bleeding efforts and the G60 ones have not worn well due to quality Halfords brake caliper paint..

So once I recovery the car from Dave's with a few mods to the pulley system and the inlet manifold then it will be time to see if I can get the BBS rims over the top of these calipers - they were ok when I measured this up a few years ago but without actually trialling them its difficult to work it out.

Sticking with the stock G60 280mm solid disc for now although there is a long term desire to fit hats and rotors are the same size.

If this all goes ok then it will be the Polo rear bearing swap out and maybe some 2 pot rear calipers with a handbrake application at the same time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81950[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]81951[/ATTACH]

Despite my recent belt tensioner issues I had already ordered some shinny new 4 pot front brake calipers to replace the G60 ones, this was mostly due to the brakes still being a bit rubbish despite numerous bleeding efforts and the G60 ones have not worn well due to quality Halfords brake caliper paint..

So once I recovery the car from Dave's with a few mods to the pulley system and the inlet manifold then it will be time to see if I can get the BBS rims over the top of these calipers - they were ok when I measured this up a few years ago but without actually trialling them its difficult to work it out.

Sticking with the stock G60 280mm solid disc for now although there is a long term desire to fit hats and rotors are the same size.

If this all goes ok then it will be the Polo rear bearing swap out and maybe some 2 pot rear calipers with a handbrake application at the same time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81950[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]81951[/ATTACH]

HiSpec 4 pots, nice

do you mind asking from where & how much Yan?

thanks

From Hi-Spec direct, complete kit including, hoses, fixings, brackets, pads, discs and brake fluid.

A somewhat eye watering £662 inc VAT and delivery.

But a refurbed set of G60 calipers (which all look a bit rough now) are around the £120 inc delivery mark, pads are £40, discs are about another £100 and a set of caliper carriers (used) £80.

Throw in a set of calpier carrier refurb kits at about £5 a piece and its not too bad.

A bit nervous regarding the wheel clearances and Hi-Spec have had a very bad reputation in the past but less issues in the last 3 years it seems.

Obviously this kit is the MK 2 Golf one they sell but the mounting brackets and calipers should suit a VR.

From Hi-Spec direct, complete kit including, hoses, fixings, brackets, pads, discs and brake fluid.

A somewhat eye watering £662 inc VAT and delivery.

But a refurbed set of G60 calipers (which all look a bit rough now) are around the £120 inc delivery mark, pads are £40, discs are about another £100 and a set of caliper carriers (used) £80.

Throw in a set of calpier carrier refurb kits at about £5 a piece and its not too bad.

A bit nervous regarding the wheel clearances and Hi-Spec have had a very bad reputation in the past but less issues in the last 3 years it seems.

Obviously this kit is the MK 2 Golf one they sell but the mounting brackets and calipers should suit a VR.

many thanks Yan

I will keep this info in mind.

I keep seeing hispec pop up quite often & wheeler dealers had some made & fitted to one of the cars they did