Sign in to follow this  
theRuler

steering rack wobblage

if wobblage is a word then it applies to the tie rods on my steering rack.

the steering has been vague for a while now, there is play. you can wobble the steering wheel and feel it, quite a lot.

now initially i think ball joints and / or track rod ends. But when we had the car up on a lift the play is actually in the individual arms, that disappear into the rack.

can the rack be tightened?

the car has done 151k (vr6)

If Bondage is a word, then Wobblage is allowed into the CF dictionary.

They'll be your innerage tie roddage jointages squire. This season, you'll be mostly wanting to change the whole roddages sir, £73 from your local stealerage, or £30 from GSF. Both roddages come with both ball jointages.

The inner ones need a major sized spannerage to undo...and space is tight, as per usualage.

Is it me, or is there an inordinately large number of silly posts on the forum this week? :lol:

I think that the sunshine we had over the weekend has melted people's brains... :silly: :lol: (no it's not just you... )

The inner ones need a major sized spannerage to undo...and space is tight, as per usualage.

i am no stranger to tight spaces when it comes to rod action :crazyeyes:

thanks for the tippage.

i will change them there arms then.

Good luck mate!

The GSF rods use a smaller size spanner slot IIRC, so you may be alright.

And just remember not to bend your rod too much as you negotiate it into the tight space....

i'll have the car on a lift, so i should be ok.

i'll bet they are done up tight too. :(

still, tight is right, i guess.

is it worth changing the rod ends while i'm in there?

Track Rods = 32mm spannerage - make sure you get ones with 6 sides (as opposed to 2) if you buy from GSF as space is very limited, you need to move the rack until you can get a spanner between the wishbone and subframe...

The inner end threads need to be scrupulously clean and treated with thread-locking compound before tightening. In fact, the Russek book advises taking the rack out, but it's possible to do in situ.

Have a good look at the gaiters at the same time - it's so much easier to replace them when the track-rods are out because one side has a fixed (non-removable) outer end, and they are cheap enough to do as a precautionary measure.

On my 16V Passat (LHD, so a bit of an odd-ball) there was lots of head-scratching about whether the rack is a TRW or ZF item; it makes a difference. Maybe this doesn't arise with a C.

Best wishes

RB

thread lock eh

good call. i would probably have omitted that.

good heads up on the gaters too. if they dont come with the rods i'll get them aswell