Sign in to follow this  
sgaites

Rough Idle

Have just been advised by local garage that my valve timing may be out, hence the hunting and surging idle problems I'm having. Car only idles around 600 even when hot. I know there are LOADS of threads on this but......

I've just checked the spark plug leads (Magnecourt, replaced Aug 04, about 2k miles), and the resistance varies between 4-9 Ohms. I've read that 6 is normal......anyone with any ideas ? Want to try this first before I go looking at the rest of the possible problems ??

Cheers

Si

Ah cheers Tom !

Yip 1993 VR with the early 2x2 VAG-COM if that helps...

4 Bosch 390 plugs, with a couple of 482s might that be a problem ?

4 Bosch 390 plugs, with a couple of 482s might that be a problem ?
Certainly won't help m8 - 6 of the standard VW jobbies would be a good start.

LOL - I've never heard of someone mixing spark plug types....

I'd doubt it was valve timing as the VR cams are chain driven, they would have to be very slack to 'jump' sounless you've had work done in that area recently or the engine is on a very high mileage.

LOL - I've never heard of someone mixing spark plug types....

I'd doubt it was valve timing as the VR cams are chain driven, they would have to be very slack to 'jump' sounless you've had work done in that area recently or the engine is on a very high mileage.

This is what I told Simon as well.

What he hasn't mentioned, which I think is fairly relevant, is that Vince has recently done an absolutle load of work on the engine.

This was previously Phil's car on the IOM and before he bought it, VW had done a lot of engine rebuilding on it. Phil then started having problems with burning a lot of oil etc so they said it needed rebuilding but it wasn't their fault or problem.

So the car was shipped off to Vince who did a lot of work, although I'm entirely sure what but I think it was pretty extensive. Perhaps Simon can elaborate.

And now it idles very rough and Simon thinks it's down on power. A garage over here has said it's valve timing issues, which I find difficult to understand/believe.

Hmmm - I wonder if Vince used the different plugs for a reason then??

What cylinders where the 2 different ones in?? 1 and 6?

The car had a rebore and rebuild at Stealth last August, after some pretty serious problems developed when Phil had the car. I naturally assumed all would be well with such a recently worked on vehicle !

Took it out yesterday....Tom will vouch that the car doesn't behave badly when hot, so I would doubt valve timing is the problem too. However, when cold it will either start and die, start and then die when i move off, or start and idle erratically between 400-600. I would expect something around 1000 surely ?

The water temp sensor was also replaced in 2002, and the hoses all look in good nick.....Anyway, car booked for VAGCOM next week, unless anyone knows someone with the gear on the island ??

Watch this space, cheers for any advice guys :)

or start and idle erratically between 400-600. I would expect something around 1000 surely ?

VR's should idle at around 650

Simon means from a cold start. Mine sits at about 1000 until it warms up and then it drops to around 650ish.

I think Simon's hunts a lot and idles very low when cold.

The saga continues. Had the VW dealer run diagnostics....lo and behold the temp sensor was reading -49 degrees, so ECU would be over fuelling.

Changed the temp sensor with one from GSF...no better. Got a genuine one from VW...no better. Did the whole ECU reset and all that, but it still struggles to catch from cold.

Is going back in tomrrow to have axle bushes and bump stops done, so they'll run diagnotics again and see what's changed.

I have got a fine head of hair at the moment, but feel that will be changing soon when I start really tearing it out !

Oh and PS....if you change your temp sensor take care not to lose the O-Ring seal like I think I must have done.....had to use loads of PTFE tape to stop coolant pissing out.