Sign in to follow this  
steveo29

pic request? ign timing mark on flywheel/gearbox

which engine? (not sure but I think they may be slightly different on VR6s)

You can't see the flywheel mark with the gearbox on because the pressure plate sits on top of it.

Get the engine on TDC using the crank pulley marks, then shine a light into the bell housing hole. If you can't see any dot punched marks on the pressure plate, spin it round again until you can. The TDC mark is the one that aligns with the arrow on the bell housing. And that's TRUE TDC, i.e. the middle of the piston's dwell movement....

kevhaywire, you can on a G60 'cos that's how I time mine up... :|

The gearbox casing must be different then because you can't see the flywheel marks on a VR with the pressure plate on....

isn't that what I said above? ;) :lol: 8)

steveo29, what engine do you have as it DOES make a difference... ;) :lol:

Henny, Any chance of a piccy of the G60 flywheel mark ?

I've timed mine up using the front pulley & just want to know what I'm looking for on the flywheel.

I had to use emery cloth to clean up the flywheel on my turbodiesel before I could see the timing mark on that .. :shock:

I think he has a G60...

After Darren and Steve set mine up I got the engine to TDC today to have a look as i'd never been able to see the flywheel mark before, I can now just about make out a l just behind the toothed section...

I think he has a G60...

After Darren and Steve set mine up I got the engine to TDC today to have a look as i'd never been able to see the flywheel mark before, I can now just about make out a l just behind the toothed section...

That | is the make for 6 degrees BTDC. There are two marks on the flywheel. A '0' which is for true TDC and the '|' for getting the timing spot on 6 degrees BDTC.

T.

use the flywheel then, cant be wrong.

There's a wee peep hole on top of the gearbox. Need to remove the rubber bung.

The '|' mark wants to be slap bang in the middle of the hole when you're using the timing strobe.

T.

Found the marks on my flywheel this evening. Front pulley is spot-on, although it should be - I've just finished rebuilding the engine .. :D

Flywheel marks took a bit of finding - even when I knew I was in the right area.

blob some white paint onto the timing marks on the flywheel if you ever do a clutch... makes life one hell of a lot easier... ;)

Guys...2 quick questions.

If im setting the static timing using the flywheel and cam,do i align the cam to the o- on the flywheel?

Secondly,if im using an adjustable timing light for the ign timing at the flywheel.

When the gun is set to 6deg on the dial,which mark am i using on the flywheel?

The -?

Im hoping the above may solve the problem with my corrado! :D

And a pic of the slash on flywheel as originally requested.

radotimingflywheelslash.jpg

Neil.

The flywheel marks on my G60 appeared to be all over the place when I had to replace my crank pulley after the crank bolt worked loose last summer! Ended up just using the cam, crank and rotor arm marks to set it up to TDC and its been fine ever since, although I do feel it wants setting up properly at some point its certainly not slow! :twisted:

Was told at the time that the flywheel can be put on 90 degrees out thus meaning that the marks will all be out of aliginment? Sounds about right going on what I have discovered so far on my motor :roll: I found a set of Goodrich hoses on the rear brakes last weekend... Standard rubbers on the front though! :?:

From memory -

0 = TDC

1 = 6 degrees advance

Use a non adjustable timing light & time to the '1' mark (6 degrees BTDC).

If you're using an adjustable timing light, set the timing light to 0 degrees advance (TDC) & time the car to the '1' mark, as above

Don't forget to unplug the blue temp sender when using the timing light, this will disable any corrective timing that the car will make. Re-connect the blue temp sender after you've set the timing.

Aye :lol:

Steve! Cheers m8...Are those marks definately the right way around?

Today i set the static timing via the camshaft/flywheel and i think ive gone and used the - on the flywheel.

Jesus these things confuse me!

:roll: :oops:

Easy way to tell which way round the marks are - when standing in front of the car, looking through the spy hole in the bell housing & rotating the flywheel towards you, the 1 should appear about an inch or so before the 0 does. If this is the case, the 1 is definitely the 6 degrees advance mark.

Nice one Steve.

I think the o- comes first on mine! :?

Will double check tommorow.

And just to make sure ive got my head around this...

Setting ign timing,using gun at 'o' pointed at the first mark on flywheel.

This would be the same as setting gun to 6deg and pointing at the second mark basically?

Neil.

If the 0 comes first when rotating the flywheel towards you - that will be the advance mark.

You're correct on the timing - timing gun set to 0 degrees advance & use the 6 degree mark on the flywheel.

Cheers for the help Steve :)

Ps:Your old g60 was sold on not so long ago...Still looked well. 8)

Neil.