Sign in to follow this  
randal

Powder coating V's Paint

I'm looking into the different finishes for engine bits and pieces and was wondering which of the two would be more suitable.

Is powdercoating heat durable? i.e enough to coat the inlet manifold and rocker cover? Is it expensive?

The block/head would probably get painted, is hammerite HT paint enough for this or is there a special method?

thanks in advance

randal

Powder coating should be heat durable, no worries, and I'd say high temp paint will be fine for the block.

If you need the numbers of a good shotblasters and powdercoaters then let me know as I had my Hoffman bmx frame done to a very high standard recently for only about £20 each for the blasting and powdercoating...

The block really doesn't need high temp paint. This is my old Punto GT engine DSCI0032.jpg

It was done with normal spray paint, primer paint and laquer. So far its been on about a year and had no problems.

Nice one guys. Dave, I'll drop you a line about the blasters/coaters. Hopefully should be able to get the bits I want done for that sort of price too.

chris g, that is pretty much how I want my new... ...that's a nice clean engine dude :D P.S How chuffed was your other half/mother/flat mate about the pink radiator? :lol:

Yeah I can confirm powder coating is more than up to the job of resisting all that underbonnet heat.

My 16V inlet manifold was powder coated blue by a unit on Stealth's estate and it lasted years...even with spanners being dropped on it regularly. A very tough finish.

Yeah I can confirm powder coating is more than up to the job of resisting all that underbonnet heat.

My 16V inlet manifold was powder coated blue by a unit on Stealth's estate and it lasted years...even with spanners being dropped on it regularly. A very tough finish.

Now thats what I wanted to hear. OK, defo powder coat for inlet and rocker. 8)

I bet you were popular with all that paint on the radiator and floor... :lol:

Its just a reflection, It was sprayed outside!

Now thats what I wanted to hear. OK, defo powder coat for inlet and rocker. 8)

so... what colour are going to go?

Aurora Powder Coating

Unit 4, The Arches, Rotunda Estate, Aldershot, Hampshire GU11 1TG

Tel: 01252 317197

Elgamec Ltd (Shot blasters)

Unit 10, Station Road West, Ash Vale, Hampshire GU12 5QJ

Tel: 01252 518177

HTH buddy!

Nice one :D

So, shot blasting to get rid of all the crap and then powder coating for the finish? Or is it something to do with how the powder coat attaches itself to the surface that means it has to be shot blasted?

Cheers again!

Yeh powder coating is the daddy, all the silver bits on my engine were powder coated and the black bits were painted with black engine paint

lump.jpg

On a side note ' gradeafailure' wot type of hoffman frame was it??

So, shot blasting to get rid of all the crap and then powder coating for the finish? Or is it something to do with how the powder coat attaches itself to the surface that means it has to be shot blasted?

Yup, that's the best way to do it. You can just get it powder coated but the powder coat won't stick very well and it's a heat treating process, so chances are it will loosen the crud that's stuck to it, which in turn will fall off and take powder coat with it. Also, if you've got lumps of dirt still stuck to it then you won't get a very smooth finish afterwards.

Sweeeeet. Well, I've just sourced some parts to shot blast/coat too. Ooo, today is shaping up nicely. :D

Blast the parts with polyester beads, not shot or sand, LOL! Otherwise you'll have nothing left to powder coat!

Here's hoping the blasters will have enough savvy to twig! The thought of picking several kilos of mangled metal and paint doesn't fill me with much joy... :?

Elgamec are really good, just speak to them and I'm sure they'll know what type of blasting to do dependent on the material...

Rossco, it was a Dirty One-Thirty frame and forks - had the frame done military grey and the forks black... Don't have any money to build it up into a nice bike anymore though!

Dirty one thirty, decent. I used to have a Taj back in the day it was nice, upgraded to a T1 Barcode but some shit nicked it, got me a haro now.

You still ride??

You may as well have been speaking Flemish there Rossco - I'm a skater, not a bmxer! :oops: Caught out... Just bought it out of the freeads a couple of years ago to hammer across town to work on, but then I moved so I decided to strip it down and get it sprayed and rebuilt with decent components... However, the usual lack-of-funds monster reared its ugly head and now all the bits are sitting in my garage...

Back on-topic: randal, did you manage to get in touch with the numbers I gave you?

Not yet, want to see the state of the bits I've got coming before I call them up. I'm picking that stuff up on Monday night, so I'll probably drop them a line on Tuesday. :D

I love this forum, ill shall mostly be using those numbers to good effect when my bank account has recovered.

Graham, take a look in your Yellow Pages - there's probably some more local to you tbh - probably hidden round the back of some teeny industrial estate that you never even knew existed; those two are! :lol:

thats all very well doing that but cant guarantee that the work is gonna be good quality. Personally i would prefer paying a bit extra and travelling a bit further to go somewhere that has been used and proven to be good, but thats just my opinion.