Sign in to follow this  
trebor

weird tinny noise and mis-fire

Hi

Have problem with un-healthy noise coming from top of engine. Sounds like a cam problem of sorts. I have 268 cams and a schrick manifold. There is no loss in power. However the idle is 550rpm and has a very small misfire.. :( Im worried some things about to let go :(

Have you checked the compression ?

If the "wierd tinny noise" only happens when you step on the throttle, the timing may have become too far advanced. The cause of this would need investigating.

I have a similar problem with mine, it is a bit rattly, the aa man didn't know what was wrong but just said it was coming from the cylinder head... what a genius! not. And maybe it is me but I think it has lost a bit of power. Maybe vag com would help?

Sonds like it could be pinking which would indicate that the timing is out.

I'd check this first as it is the cheapest and easiest to cure.

Timing is all electromagically controlled on the VR. Can't adjust it manually.

When does it make the "weird tinny noise"? If it's between 3000 and 4000 rpm on 75%+ throttle, then welcome to the joys of Schrick manifold ownership (it's pinking). If it's not, it's something completely different..

Need a bit more detail on the noise as Mat says...

'Tinny' could be anything.... exhaust heat shields, tappets, chain related stuff etc etc....but when you had the cams fitted I'll assume you had those checked, especially as the work was done at Stealth IIRC?

Timing is all electromagically controlled on the VR. Can't adjust it manually.

When does it make the "weird tinny noise"? If it's between 3000 and 4000 rpm on 75%+ throttle, then welcome to the joys of Schrick manifold ownership (it's pinking). If it's not, it's something completely different..

The noise is most present at idle. As you increase the throttle the noise is less apparent. Less rather than more. If you get my drift... When driving it sounds and performs great.

The cams and schrick has been fitted by stealthracing mid december 2004

A friend said he had not heard the noise before. However one of the cam followers could be cracked or lose . As the followers and cams are new it doesnt make sense.

More likely to be something cracked, resonating. There's more engine vibration at tickover than at higher revs.

so.... if this is the case, whats the worst case scenario.

Ive taken the car off road until the 1st of june. However Ive got to drive it 189miles to stealthracing is this possible--- Im not sure...?

Neither am I...

Take it easy till you know what it is, but it's probably something loose..

Neither am I...

Take it easy till you know what it is, but it's probably something loose..

Ok.....Im back from stealthracing. The car made it the 375 mile round trip at a greatly reduced speed.. I drive it in, pop the bonnet and begin to explain the problem. Basicly sounds likes a bucket of bolts.. So were standing around listening to the engine. The tech guy chin in hand half listening to engine and half listening to me explaining how worried I am "Its been of the road for 2 weeks". etc etc. So you can image how

:mad: :cry: :D I feel when the problem is a easy fix. On top of the schrick manifold there is a rubber vacuum stop and hose. Light finger pressure on this and the noise stops. I couldnt believe it. Apparently there is a metal rod thats vibrating inside the manifold. The noise it makes sound bloody terrible.

The tec guy said they have seen a couple like this. The only way to stop it is to drill out the hole and change the rod for a better fit...?? If it stops that noise Ill get in done.

The misfire was a combination of the 268s, dirty idle control on induction side.. .....

trebor