Sign in to follow this  
swfblade

uprating brakes

Right, I need to replace my disc's and pads all round. I figured that now would be a good time to uprate them seeing as they need changing andthe fact that im currently pushing around 200 ponies, and soon to be more.

I want to keep my 15" BBS's, so what options do I have? Whats the best setup for front Disc's/pads/calipers and the same for rear?

I'll warn you now that I know very little when it comes to brakes......except that I push and I stop ;)

Cheers guys.

I've got Zimmerman drilled disc and Pagid fast road pads on my G60, they do the job pretty well too. You can get them from GSF.

About the biggest you can get under the standard 15s is a 288mm setup from a mk3 golf. The standard C disks are 280mm, so 8mm bigger disk doesn't sound like much, but the caliper is completely different so you get almost double the contact area.

You can pick up 288mm setups with disks for about £60 or so.

On the rear brakes I'd just stick some mk4 calipers on so that you actually have a working handbrake. The rear caliper and hose set from C&R is about £200 new, but again you can pick them up second hand for about £40.

Disks and pads wise I'd go for the pukka VAG disks but go for Pagid Fast Road pads. They work really well without spending silly money.

Off the top of my head...

Front disks are about £60 a pair and rears are about £40 from veedub.

Pagid FR pads are about £35 for the fronts and £25 for the rears from GSF.

If you want to upgrade from the standard G60 setup but keep 15 inch wheels, you can fit Audi S2 Calipers. They are a twin piston caliper and the pad area is much bigger than the G60 pad. They work with standard G60 discs as well.

You can use them as is if you want but because the S2 disc is 276mm and the G60 disc is 280mm the pad is sitting 2mm in too close to the hub (if you know what I mean)

So to get around that I filed out the holes in the carrier by 2mm to enable me to move the carrier out 2mm.

Geo, you got any pics of the mods you've done to the calipers?

Dinkus, aren't Mk3's 5 stud?

You lowered it yet mate??

Not yet m8, thats next month. Figured I be safe and do the brakes so i can stop first!! LOL :lol:

This is more than I expected!! LOL! thanks guys. I fort someone was just gonna come back with "swap it for some tarox discs" or summit!

OK, so the mk3 conversion is out of the window, being only 4 stud an' all.....

The S2 conversion is interesting tho, u got any more details on how to do wot u've said about?

I'll get some pictures at the weekend. I don't have them on the car yet I still have to check which brake pipe I need to use.

Can't you get 288mm disks in a 5-stud tho?

Erm....yeah!??

Not sure what's happening here but the original poster has a G60 (4 stud) so the 288 conversion is unsuitable for him!

I really should engage my brain before posting :roll:

I meant can you not get 288mm disks in 4 stud?

I don't think you can but you could probably get 5x100 discs redrilled if you wanted.

ok, well while we wait for more details on the Audi brake option, has anyone else got any other suggestions for uprated disc's/pads? lets assume Im keeping standard front calipers, whats the best aftermarket disc's pads for the front?

And what about the rear? I know people have suggested mk4 calipers, but ive only just put mk3 VR6 rear calipers on, so wots best for disc/pad replacement at the back?

Don't worry about the back if you have new calipers. The fronts do all the braking. I would suggest that the pads are more important to get get right IMO. I don't rate drilled and/or grooved discs over plain ones. I have had all the variants in my time. Even battering around on trackdays has never proved one to be better than the others.

I would go with quality, VAG, Brembo or whatever plain discs and Pagid pads. Fast Road if you fancy them. I have no complaints about the std replacement pads though.

I did like the bite of EBC green stuff and they do stop well but in my experience create loads of dust and they are not very long lasting in a track environment. Road use only may be better.

I too would be interested to see if anyone has drilled 288s to 4 stud. The brakes on my mate mk3 anniversary are pretty good and JoeMs Vr6 was excellent at Oulton, right up until...........

Just flip a coin

Gavin

dinkus, yup, probably... but the carriers are different, so the whole 288mm setup won't fit a 4 stud car...

RE: the audi conversion - you'll have to mount the calipers the wrong way round though because the S2 has trailing calipers and the corrado has a leading position.

Use the S2's near side caliper on the corrado's offside and you'll overcome the issue of the bleed nipples facing upwards - but then the staggered pistons will be the wrong way round...... rather than counteracting tapered pad wear, it'll accentuate the issue. Never tried it in practice, but if i tried the conversion, I'm make sure I regularly monitored how they were wearing ( the pads are held in place by sliding channels in the ends - twist the pads and there is a risk of jamming).

Just my 2c - I know aposegil has tried this combo & not heard him report any issues......

I've got the set up that RACK describes (Zimmerman discs with Pagid FR pads) and I've got Mk3 GTi rear calipers and it all seems to work well together. I even blagged a 10% discount form the nice man at GSF! It was very reasonably priced. Pics of the discs are on my Dubforce links below.:)

dinkus, yup, probably... but the carriers are different, so the whole 288mm setup won't fit a 4 stud car...

Saw 4X100 288s on eurospec site you posted in another thread about cylinder heads.

Gavin