Sign in to follow this  
alan_edward

Petrol/ oily smell

This is a regular now, when I have just started my car or being motionless, there seems to be some petrol/ oily smell coming from the engine bay through the vents. I am worried, as I dont want to smell complex hydrocarbons and die soon. Therefore, as I come to a stationary point, I first turn the vents off.

It all started after I got the blanking plate fitted, as far as i know.

Any one please shed some light on this situation.

Yeah got the same problem, Its because the engine breather isn`t fed back into the boost return pipe anymore...

I take it you put a K&N filter on the engine breather pipe ?

What seems to happen is when you stop the engine bay fills up with flumes from the breather, then when you pull away the flumes are sucked into the cabin...Very annoying isn`t it !

The petrol smell comes from the petrol tank breather that used to connect to the carbon canister. What I have done to elliminate this problem is to extend that pipe through the cc hole so it exits under the chassis leg, outside the engine compartment.

u dont really want to be able to smell fuel ... i would also recomend you have a quick look around all the fuel pipes to make sure there is not a weak clip and you have a slight leak on one of them ..

As Darren stated, also check the fuel lines (rubber hoses and clips inside the engine bay), as according to a recall document from VWoA, the originally used clips did not cope very well with the contraction/expansion of the rubber hose underneath the clip on temperature fluctuations, hence on a cold day, it could happen that the clip didn't exert sufficient pressure on the rubber hose, and fuel could seep past until the engine heat would cause the rubber to expand again. Fuel leaking on potentially hot areas like the exhaust manifold isn't a good thing, hence the recall issued by VWoA. They now use self-tightening clips, which I've also fitted after mine had smells of fuel entering the cabin (despite a completely intact carbon canister, no messing about with breathers or anything, all original).

Tempest

Update on the petrol smell :roll:

The car stinks of petrol now, and when I pull up anywhere the whole block stinks of petrol. There is no oil smell at all.

The mpg values have gone down at an exponential rate too.

£30 petrol (optimax) and does about 20 mpg on a descent run.

Not happy at all.

I am thinking that it might be a fuel hose or even the vent which is part of the blanking plate conversion.

Not sure now.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan

That's an MFA-measured 20mpg? If so the engine is overfuelling - check your lambda.

If the MFA is still reporting fine MPG then you must have a leak. ..

this aint the sorta thing you should leave to see if it sorts itself out aswell mate!!....if you do drive anywhere make sure you have a fire extinguisher with you!!

i take it you did check your fuel lines ???

found the bugger.

It was a hose which was spraying petrol like a fountain. I did not open the bonnet for these days as it requires two people for it. Finally, I managed to get a second person (LOL). here is the hose.

DSC00113.jpg

Thats the one... why does it require 2 people to open your bonnet??

probably cos his bonnet not opening when he pops the latch?? by pushing down the side & having some1 else apply pressure on the bonnet it releases the side that doesnt come up...

yeap, VR6 bonnet in a G60. I have to do some slight adjustments.

Just took it apart and put it back and there was no petrol smell. Hopefully this has sorted out problem...