Jim

The definitive "what exhaust?" discussion thread!

A year ago Infinity Exhausts fitted a no-nonsense Stainless system on my 8 valve. They asked me how loud and what tailpipe I wanted. I told them I wanted a sporty system, but no boom! I got a single tailpipe, nice burble, and a discount bringing the price to £300 fitted,(probably a few quid more now). Can't praise the company highly enough.

SS borla exhaust with 2 tt tuning resonators and 42 draft design hi flow cat.

Love it, sounds very throaty and has held up quite well.

It's very quiet while cruising at low speeds but when you give it a little more gas it starts getting very "g35".

Can't go wrong on a vr6! :)

Borla Exhausts have a vwry good name for longevity, but I think we are talking in very different price leagues. I would rather have a practical exhaust which does its job well, but would not bring on the tears if it was totalled in one of the potholes kindly supplied to us motorists by the government and the local authorities. I understand in Wiltshire it would be cheaper to excavate the road down to the level of the potholes than to fill the holes. - Happy motoring in 2014.

Can someone please tell me the I.D of a standard 1.8 16v back box where it joins the system? I have a Janspeed mild steel system from downpipe back and want to know if I can fit a box designed for a standard system.

If anybody has a suitable box please let me know..

hey guys.So ive read through this thread which has some great info,but the only decent exhaust i can find off the shelf now are the jetex systems.Are there any other manufacturers im not finding?Think i would be happy with the 2 box jetex or maybe even go down the custom route but you never really know what your gonna get

Give Peter at Dub power a call mate the exhaust system's they make are work's of art.

You will not do better than Infinity Exhausts. They will build an exhaust as quiet or as loud as you want. I've had mine for two years and have no complaints. My son has one fitted to his Porsche and is also delighted. My stainless system was £300 - fitted! You will not get better value than that. Go on, you know it makes sense.

Interesting and confusing reading back through this thread.

What's the general consensus on Power Flow exhausts? I've read about them and people seem to rate them. Has anyone had any experience?

The Jetex is as far as I know made by a Swedish Company, WHO also sell it under other names. I got one on thise:: two boxes and one flame silencer, so one would call it 3 box maybe. I does not nit a lowered car like mine (ke inoxline v1, and it hits the rear beam all the time. I've knocked dents, I've tried various hangers, rubbers, stiffer ones, remade hangers, remade the tubing etc. I've installed a free flow cat and made tubing to ensure better flow too. This gave 16 Hp and quite some Nm's.

I still need to solve the tubing that passes over the rear beam (axle).

It holds okay and is two years now. But quality wise it's not nice made. Lot's of small Things from the welding, Brown and Black spots etc, and bending is not fitting well. So be prepared to do some modding and it'll fit okay.

Btw. mine is a G60 from 1991

Cheers,

Redfox.

Infinity is a bit of a trek for me as I'm up in Yorkshire.we have a few custom guys up my end but the only exhaust I have heard was on a G60.sounded awesome though

I got a custom exhuast made by emd performance in at Albans. £370 and couldn't be any better, awesome noise and great workmanship. On a vr6, one of the guys there know vr6's really well and knew excetly what to do, I could recomend them enough. Much cheaper and 10x better than a of the shelf one

Company in Wellingborough called weld lab , google them . They currently make the exhaust systems for the red bull formula one team , the mclaren formula one team . Numerous time attack cars . There work is fookin epic . Top lads . Quality work . You want a funky exhaust give em a try

Tis true mate . That I can't comment on , there alloy welding is awesome though . So it will look good lol.

Neither do I mate tbh I don't often wash my car let alone go all gangster pimp lol , Maserati bi turbo quadraporte is an awesome sounding car ? Sorry off topic but is a fruity note !!!

Edited by Gwr vr6

duplicate post from my members gallery so as to offer feedback on exhausts......it is a Longlife 2.5" full stainless system (from downpipe back) with sport cat

OK then video time

again please forgive poor audio & my cabin's rattles

In the first video I tried to let it run up the rev's in each gear so as you can hear how the sound builds & drops as you go up the gears. I then tried to capture the burbles as you slow down & down change but it is difficult to hear on headphones. I also then tried to capture how it sounds when you have accelerated in 2nd gear, then let off the fast pedal & let the engine slow the revs down

unfortunately the audio doesn't capture the way the sound travels in the cabin; from exhaust at the rear until around 3.5-4K revs & then moves to the front as the BMC / engine sounds take control

https://youtu.be/ypoqtPkLXks

In the 2nd video I wanted to try to show you how when accelerating normally & at usual cruising speeds the exhaust gives a nice grunty build up in sound, but not overly loud, & then quietens right back down. FYI just before I hit the bumpy dropped section of road I am already in 5th gear travelling around 35mph ish & you can barely hear the exhaust

https://youtu.be/ICpGtbPmRYM

sorry there are no pics yet, it was a very busy weekend & I really need to get the autosol on the exhaust before taking any lol

Car: G60

Exhaust: Mk3 golf Stainless steel Jetex Back box clamped to original/OEM tail pipe then fixed to car via vertical steel hanger bolted through spare tire well...

Opinion: Pay better attention to cars when you buy them! :bonk:(Sorry couldn't resist)

TBH though, it actually sounds pretty good... just looks a mess and it has messed up and melted the bumper where it doesn't hang correctly!

Had a bit of a read through as I need a new exhaust, am I right in my assumption that the Jetex is as close to a stock/standard system you can currently get?