Sign in to follow this  
Ad2408

Yet another Sunroof question?!?.....

Hi

I've tried looking through the search function (honest!) but I can't find a definitive answer.

My cars sunroof tilts up and down fine its just when it comes to sliding the problems start.....

It slides back fine just when you come to slide it forward to close it it scratches on the roof panel (on the right hand side as you look from the front of the car if that makes a difference)

Whats the problem then chaps (and more importantly how do I sort it!)

Thanks in advance (once again!)

Adam

typical problem where silver bracket thingy - can't remember proper name - has broke. this happens when the roof hasn't been greased up sufficiently and the bracket just snaps under load.

you can either

- get a repair kit - other on here will have details

- fit a second hand cartridge as its fun and games to repair yours - i've done this numerous times and know the sunroof inside out but that comes from hard experience and i didn't enjoy the learning process

- fit a glass sunroof which have stonger silver thingy brackets and are more durable long tern than the corrado's - i personally like the glass roof - some don't

I have a spare glass roof if your interested?

Nah, the cable guide wouldn't allow sliding at all if it was broken. What happens there is the pass side snaps (and it's always the pass side) and the roof twists coming down from a tilt as one cable moves and the other doesn't.

Adam's problem is caused by a worn water plate guide. It's the intricate milled steel plate on either side that a pin follows to tilt and slide the roof panel. Both the pin and the steel plate wear out causing slack. You can feel this slack when you tilt the roof. It should be solid in all positions of the tilt, but if you can grab the corner of the roof and wobble it......it's water plate guide time and a roof out job.....

I've had MK3 Golf, Passat and Corrado subframes in my hands and apart from the small differences in the MK3's subframe and wind deflector, all the mechanical parts are identical....bar a few changes to the sliders for the glass roof.

Why the Corrado ones break all the time is probably down to the lazy gits at Karmann not lubing the mechs....and how many VW customers think about lubing their rooves?

H8RRA...tell me more about this glass jobbie....is it from a Passat?

water plate guides as kev says , if you tilt the roof open and compare the guides each side , the passenger side will have wider tracks (worn), so rather than being held down it starts to rise too soon

Ah ok, Think I understand now.....

Is it an involved/difficult/expensive job to sort?

Many thanks for all the replies Lads!

Adam

Can someone give me the details of the repair kit please, mine will tilt up fine, only tilt down one side (you have to slide the runner back manually to close) and will not slide at all.

Cheers folks

The problem you describe can also be caused by the silver rocker being worn. Specifically the small wheel at the back of the rocker but the problem can be compunded by the pin that the rocker is mounted on being bent upwards. What happens is that the rockers normally engange in a slot in the sunroof rails and as the sunroof slides back the rockers are meant to disengage from the slot and allow roof to slide. As the mechanism wears the rocker on the passenger side can be reluctant to disengage and so slightly bend the mounting pin for the rocker and often warping the water plate guide that was mentioned earlier.

The rockers job in life is to keep the tilting mechanism locked to the rest of the cable and sliding mechanism until the rocker falls into its slot at which point the sunroof will then tilt. Once the rocker etc is distorted/worn it fails to lock together the sliding and tilting parts of the sunroof. This isn't a problem when sliding the sunroof open as this pushes the parts together but when trying to close the sunroof the parts are pulled apart, the rocker doesn't do its job and the sunroof starts to tilt as its sliding and if you're unlucky you get some nice scratches in your sunroof panel.

Anyway enough of this essay, the upshot is still the same. You will need to take your roof lining down and take the sunroof out. If you haven't done this job before then allow a day for it. You will need a new rocker repair kit some white grease possibly a new guide although these can sometimes be straightened back out and a lot of patience. Whilst you have the roof out it may be worth renewing the passenger side cable for peace of mind as you will kick yourself if it snaps the week after you fix your sunroof. :wink:

A second pair of hands will help when you need to manoeuvre the headlining out as it is very fragile and easy to break.

The part number for the rocker repair kit is 1HO 898 019 (this is the Golf part but it looks identical apart from the colour of the rocker, I think the Corrado part is the same number but with an A on the end: 1HO 898 019A

I think the cable is part number 1HO 898 014A although you should be able to verify both part numbers elsewhere on the forum.