Sign in to follow this  
gradeAfailure

Passat G60 swap - seriously considering it...!

Well, it looks like I may potentially be in a position to do a G60 swap into the Passat, but I need to realistically weigh up the situation as I don't want to get myself into a situation that I can't afford to get out of...

I'd be sourcing myself the complete contents of a Corrado G60 engine bay, but really need to know if this is going to be as plug-n-play as everyone says it is, as I really can't afford for the car to be off the road for very long at all... I know the engine mounts will be exactly the same, and that the driveshafts will pop straight in, but my main concern is the wiring issue. Obviously the only G60 Passats ever made were LHD, so I can't get the loom from one of them as the fusebox will be on the wrong side - but will the Corrado's looms a)be the right dimensions, and b)simply plug into the fusebox in place of the standard loom? And does anyone know if the coolant hose connctions on the 2.0 8V engines are the same as the PG engine?

What sort of timeframe would I be looking at to do the swap, and is it actually within my capabilities, as previous to this, I've not done anything more than basic servicing (brakes, exhausts, cooling system ;), that sort of stuff)?

I just want to make sure I'm not going to be making an expensive mistake by starting something that I have to pay someone else to finish as I just don't have the money for that!

Cheers guys!

Oooooo, I feel qualified to answer this one.

I reckon you should be in the garage now mate.

Would you change the clutch? if yes then read on..........

Seriously, using RHD bits, loom, clocks clock loom etc it should be little more than a plug-in deal. Gibber discovered that his fuel pump wasn't up to the job of running a G60 over a single point 1800. So you defo want that in there too. std wiring will run that.

The only other issue I can think of will be the intercooler. In a perfect world, I'd go with a front mount. Do you have aircon? With factory air like me, you'll be having a cahrgecooler if youre loaded or a std one in the same place as the Corrado and my car. I would reckon the pipe work will be very similar if not identical. A good check of ETKA will tell you for sure.

If you have access to the C then just get everything from under the bonnet and use it. Nowt worse than tripping back and forth for clips n stuff when you could have had the lot.

DON'T forget the brakes. The Passat is a big mutha. I have only had mine on the road 10 mths and there is noticeable wear on the 280s I fitted.

This is a 2-3 day job IMO.

Admittedly, I am well practiced, removng the 2 litre can be done in 2 hours easy. Then take out the engine loom. another hour or so..

Fit the intercooler and engine loom

Hanging the G60 can be done in couple of hours.

Fuel pump fit. It should go straight in the tank, a bayonet fit to the bottom of the tank. I found out the hard way. A VR6 pump is the same 4BAR. Bets to use the corrado one IMO. Probably more accurate with the contents indication if its a 15 gallon tank C.

A quick whizz round the block and then fit the brakes, another hour a side.

Back home in time for 'tea and medals'

Gavin

If anyone should have answered that - I'm thinking it should have been Gavin. :D Get in there Dave, you know it makes sense. It'll be a wicked project to take up, and as you say - how many G60'd passats are there kicking about??

As a time frame it took me 3 weeks to get it all into my km4 cabrio (basicaly a mk3)

But I had problem swapign the cluch from cable to hydrolic, had to swap the gear selector from rod to cable shift.

But basical a lot of it is plug and play.

I found I had to use the corrado clocks.

If you need any more help let me know. it all tho it has cost me near to 2k to get it in and to do it right with all new consumables.

Cheers for the responses guys - Gavin, I was hoping you'd be one of them! My Passat does have aircon, and I'd want to keep it too, so it's a good thing I've been offered the aircon compressor, pipes and (importantly) bracketry from a G60 that had the aircon removed...

My immediate problem is that it looks like I will have nowhere to store the G60 whilst breaking it :( , and nowhere to keep the engine til I can do the swap... Which pretty much sucks, but hey, if it's meant to be then it'll be; if not, then life will just carry on anyway!

You can always come up to the Harewood show and crib off mine.

Can you not rent a garage locally for a few weeks to keep everything in til your done???

Or what about g-man, can you get the Corrado down there and cut a deal on storage for the bits you don't need?

Gavin

Am gonna be contacting the council/housing association to see about renting a garage for a month or so, so hopefully that'll pan out...! When/what's the Harewood show...?