Sign in to follow this  
StormVR6

VR6 OWNERS MUST READ!!

As you may or may not know I buggered my MAF after trying to detect my power loss problem. After phoning different sources I received prices ranging from £189+VAT - £318+VAT !!!

Anyway I decided to take a risk and go with one from German & Swedish as the P/N was 021 906 462A, just the end letter differed from mine which had none. Bosch unit and same 4 pin connection and 80mm diameter case.

£69+VAT (including exchange) and it works perfectly, and unless I'm mistaken the car feels as perky as it use to!!!!

So unless your lucky enough to find one on ebay then G&S is the place to go.

Cheers

MB

And that would be a refurbed unit, no doubt?

If the part number is the same, but it adds an "A" then often it just means it's a genuine, but refurbed, part.

Just to clarify - is that the MAF for a late, coil-pack VR (you have a storm, after all)? I thought the coil-pack cars had hot-film MAFs?

AFAIK Bosch are selling mostly refurbished units as a "ECO" thing and to keep Greenpeace happy! The only original part is the case.

Yes my car is a '95 and the new unit looks exactly like the old one apart from a slight difference in the "clamp" that holds the probe/sensor.

I'm not sure if they will work with earlier VR6's but G&S said that this particular MAF is for the Sharan so should work on most if not all VR6's.

Coilpack or distributor has no bearing on the MAF used. Only Corrado VR6s with 021 906 258CP ECUs use the later-style MAF with replaceable sensors. The sensor is a generic part, the diameter of the sample tube determines the output for a given mass flow rate.

After fitting the new MAF and erasing the previous MAF fault with VAG-COM I went out for a test drive and WOW, it looks as if the MAF needed replacing anyway!!

The most noticable improvement was the standing start, I struggled to keep the car in a straight line which I haven't experienced for a long long time, it felt like it did when I first drove the car, and second gear definately picks up a lot quicker.

I am surprised how much the MAF actually affects performance even though the idle and MPG were perfectly acceptable.

So in my case it looks as if the MAF was the problem all along, I knew I wasn't just imagining things!!

I thought the CP in the part number of the ECU meant "Coil Pack" ..?

Coincidence I think.... as there is also "AG" with coil pack VR6 engines with that MAF "462" mainly 1993/94 models.

Correct, AG has coilpack, CP has immobilizer as well. B and CC are distributor. Early Auto is BF.

Correct, CP has immobilizer as well

An interesting one as 718 C's in September/October 1994 didn't have it fitted although the ECU is capable which means it could be retrofitted.

And CP is the autobox engine combo ECU as well, electronically switched.

StormVR6, good to know mate.

For owners of the non immobilised VR6s, you need MAF 461 which is the 5 pin hot wire job....and therefore £150 + VAT exchange direct from Bosch or £330 from the stealer.

After fitting the new MAF and erasing the previous MAF fault with VAG-COM I went out for a test drive and WOW, it looks as if the MAF needed replacing anyway!!

The most noticable improvement was the standing start, I struggled to keep the car in a straight line which I haven't experienced for a long long time, it felt like it did when I first drove the car, and second gear definately picks up a lot quicker.

I am surprised how much the MAF actually affects performance even though the idle and MPG were perfectly acceptable.

So in my case it looks as if the MAF was the problem all along, I knew I wasn't just imagining things!!

How can you tell if your MAF is knackered without knackering it? :-P

I have an AG ecu on my VR, mid '94, does this mean I have a coil-pack ignition system? (I know I really should just go out and have a look, but hey I'm at work for another few hours and I'm bored :lol:)

Sorry wasn't meant to sound like I was taking the piss, it was a question, I should have put "How can I tell if my MAF is knackered without knackering it?" :oops:

I'm not sure mate, VAG-COM reported no faults with mine, my MPG was fine and the engine runs well. I just noticed a drop in performance across the board and thought it strange.

The MAF seems to work but not to its full potential, apart from trying a new one I don't think there is a way to tell how well the MAF is doing its job.

Cheers :)

Has anyone else fitted a Bosch MAF 0280 217 512 (think this is a VW no. 462A?) to a late '95 VR6 lately?

Anyone had any running problems or poor performance etc?

I have just got an Bosch Exchange one from GSF (£61-odd inc. VAT) my original MAF was a 0280 217 504 (VW no. 462) but GSF were insistent that a 512 it isn't suitable for the 2.9 ABV and refused to sell it to me! so I had to go back the next day and ask for a '97 mk3 VR6 MAF!

The housing is brand new, exactly the same as the original one on my car, and the sensor inside looks identical as far as I can tell.

Could it be that the 512 number is related to it being an Exchange part? The best price I could get for a new '504' unit was £155+VAT from a Bosch agent (VAG wanted £190+VAT!)

462A is for an OBD2 Golf and may not work correctly on your OBD1 ECU. The sensor scaling may be different, I'm not sure. You should really use the same one as original.

It's worth noting though that I've had two exchange 462A MAFs from GSF that were dead on arrival. On OBD2, the engine won't start, but on OBD1, it will carry on regardless....but with crap performance. So if the 462 is compatible with OBD1, it could just be you got a crap MAF.

Ring Vince at Stealth, he knows these MAFs inside and out.

Okay, okay - enough!

WHAT THE HELL IS A MAF?!

I can't be the only mechanical dumbass who owns a late ('95) Corrado VR6!

Okay, okay - enough!

WHAT THE HELL IS A MAF?!

I can't be the only mechanical dumbass who owns a late ('95) Corrado VR6!

Mass AirFlow sensor, its what is connected to the airbox with a big wire connected :lol: basically it reads the amount of air coming into the engine and the ECU sets the fuelling accordingly.

The big black tube thing? How on earth do you tell if its knackered?

I hate threads like this, makes me so paranoid about my Corrado :pale: