Sign in to follow this  
chris g

Anyone ever considered a TDi engine conversion?

Might sound stupid but I think a 200BHP diesel powered Corrado would be great. My dads got a Golf GTTDI with about 180BHP and it feels really quick and still gets 45+ MPG.

Is it possible?

Jurgen TDI has already done it but I don't know how hard or easy it was to do.

Diesel in a Corrado is sacrilige imo.....but the ingenuity of installing one involves mucho respect though!

Here is his car

quite a few have been doen, i know of 2 in ireladn and there are lots on the corrado database.

But i am with kev on the sacrilidge

I dunno.. a well sorted, rechipped diesel at 200BHP/300lbft is a bit less sacrilidge than a 115BHP 8v engine IMHO!

I dunno.. a well sorted, rechipped diesel at 200BHP/300lbft is a bit less sacrilidge than a 115BHP 8v engine IMHO!

True, but my argument is to just buy a MK4 with the engine already in it and keep the C as VW intended 8)

Kev, you speak the truth! :lol:

If it was meant ot be diesel it would be on day one

pah....do it mate....i was seriously considering plopping a TDI into my 8v before someone bought it from me.....you can pick the engines up cheapish...but the convertion would cost a mint..if you could find a (foolish enough) mechanic to take it on....unless of course you fancy a go yourself :wink:

some would consider Koni TAs, H&R Springs, Quaife Diff + G60 3.68 Final Drive, 288 brakes (soon to be 312s), 17" BBS RX on a nice clean VR6 as sacrilidge :wink: ......you can't please em all

LOL.....a few subtle mods is one thing, but a diesel engine??!

By all means the gentleman can go for it, but it wouldn't be my first choice of engine, not when Diesel costs the same as Optimax!

not when Diesel costs the same as Optimax!

Yeah but Optimax doesn't return anywhere near the same kind of economy! And depends where you shop.. I don't exactly buy Tesco fuel (never would in fact!) but Sainsbury diesel is about 85p/litre and from a full tank I can get about 500-600 miles! :)

Don't get me wrong.. there is no comparison to a proper petrol engine for refinement and noise but diesel does have some serious potential and capability.. 53MPG on a run, and better fuel economy around town than I used to get with my G60 on the open road is just hard to ignore!

You get 55mpg if you drive like a Granny, trust me, I can get a TDI golf down to 35mpg EASILY.

There really is no incentive to buy diesel unless you do shed loads of miles pa. The cost of the conversion into a Corrado would never be recouped unless you keep the car for life.

True, but my argument is to just buy a MK4 with the engine already in it and keep the C as VW intended 8)

you could say that about a 20vt or VR6 24v conversion as well though...

No, they're still petrol and the 24V is an evolution of the VR6....diesel is completely different and was never offered in the C....which is what I'm getting at. I'm not looking to turn this into a thread bashing engine conversions.....as I've already said, I admire the work that goes into it.

Diesel in a Corrado is sacrilige imo...

absolutely, and if you need fuel economy that much you won't be able to afford to maintain a Corrado anyway :lol:

Seriously, my mate has a 2.0 16v TDI mk5, very quick but just not the same as red-lining a performance petrol engine somehow, he still prefers his wife's Ibiza 1.8T, and the smoke and smell is foul not to mention the plastic gloves you need to wear when filling up.

David.

No, they're still petrol and the 24V is an evolution of the VR6....diesel is completely different and was never offered in the C....which is what I'm getting at. I'm not looking to turn this into a thread bashing engine conversions.....as I've already said, I admire the work that goes into it.

cool..

funny enough I did think about putting an oil burner into mine and strap an IHI or something bigger onto it! An oil burner 4wd Corrado, now thats something VW would be proud off...lol

Would be cool also if you got some off road tyres and made the ground clearance more - Dakka Rally Corrado!

now your just going OTT.... :lol:

Oooh ooh and fit a snorkel and an emergency jerry gan on the back! :D

How cool would that be though? Doing the Paris-Dakar in a Corrado

Most of them can't make it to Tesco and back without something breaking.

....and you want one to do the Paris-Dakar?

:lol:

I am seriously with Kev on this one. its horrible to think that people have actually done this to a corrado.

If you are thinking of sticking a diesel in a corrado then my advice would be this - drive a tdi motor around for a couple of months then think about what your were going to do. they are awful - no throttle response to speak of, they sound crap, and they dont engage you at all.

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no non no no no

its interesting, but evil diesels have come a long way in recent years but even so..

go find a v12 to tuck under the bonnet.