Sign in to follow this  
mistrall

what would hapen if i did this?

You would totally confuse the ECU for a start. The MAF measures the mass of air flowing through it in a given time, and relays that to the ECU for fueling adjustment. But, what the ECU really wants to know is not just how much air, but also how much oxygen it has available and it assumes a concentration of that oxygen in the air. If you increase the oxygen concentration artificially, the MAF won't be able to detect that at all well and your fueling will be completely out, running well outside the usual ratio of fuel:oxygen. You would have to have a proper metering system for your oxygen feed to ensure a consistent concentration, and your ECU remapped to account for that. Only then would you get higher engine output, at the expense of greater fuel consumption, (and lots more waste heat to deal with.)

Best wishes

RB

well - it was worth a shot lol - nitrous it is then :batman:

ps:if i was to get a better cooling system would o2 be beter or cheeper than n2o - what does the nitrogen do?

pps: was talking about feeding 02 into the airstreem - thought the lambda may pick up the extra waste o2 and ajust the fuel consumption if i got a mappable ecu - also it would be handy as a cool air feed

(you could get high when changing the oil lol)

Nitrogen feeds plants :)

Nitrous Oxide causes rapid cooling and therefore makes the inlet charge denser....the denser the inlet charge the more fuel atoms you can attach to it and the resultant burn is a lot more powerful.

My missus is a nurse and said she can get NOS and NOX what ever that is, LOL!

Hmmmm.....

P.S Adding Oxygen wouldn't do much without the corresponding fuel to accompany it... it'll just lean the mixture off....in theory, I'm no chemist!

You would totally confuse the ECU for a start. The MAF measures the mass of air flowing through it in a given time, and relays that to the ECU for fueling adjustment. But, what the ECU really wants to know is not just how much air, but also how much oxygen it has available and it assumes a concentration of that oxygen in the air. If you increase the oxygen concentration artificially, the MAF won't be able to detect that at all well and your fueling will be completely out, running well outside the usual ratio of fuel:oxygen. You would have to have a proper metering system for your oxygen feed to ensure a consistent concentration, and your ECU remapped to account for that. Only then would you get higher engine output, at the expense of greater fuel consumption, (and lots more waste heat to deal with.)

Best wishes

RB

yeah, but, a 16v don't have no MAF :scratch:

davidwort, what do you reckon the big flappy thing in the metering head is?!? :?:

It's a mechanical MAF... ;)

It's a non starter mate!

You'll just melt the piston or valve, i'll sell and fit a propper nitrous kit for you but that's the only way to do it plus it's going to be cheaper to flog your car and with the money and the cash you'd spend on a nos kit you should go buy a VR then you can get a charger kit then you are up to 280+bhp but if the money's the problem then the nitrous kit is the ultimate answer.

What kev said is correct and you would need to meter in the correct amount of fuel to burn the oxygen.

Top fuel racing boats used to use direct O2 injection back in the day when there was only carburetors around but too many of them blew up and killed people so there's your answer.

Chris

davidwort, what do you reckon the big flappy thing in the metering head is?!? :?:

It's a mechanical MAF... ;)

yeah, OK, but my sarcastic point was the previous message was talking about MAF's sending data to an ECU blah, blah, blah and that K-jet or even KE-jet is not quite as clever, the post seemed to be describing a digifant or other fully electronic injection system, but I get your point, basically the 'MAP' is the shape of the cone etc... on the metering head.

David.

The reason nitrous oxide (N2O) is used rather than pure oxygen (O2) is that oxygen cannot be kept as a liquid at room temperature. As a result any useful amount of oxygen that you wanted to carry would need an enourmous and heavy tank, with the gas stored at an enourmous pressure. Welding oxygen bottles are at 2500psi when full and is still only as dense as 280g/litre.

Nitrous oxide, on the other hand, becomes liquid at room temperature at a mere 800psi, and the liquid has a density of 1.2kg/litre. Admittely only 430g of this is oxygen atoms, the rest being inert nitrogen, but this is still an easy way of storing a lot of oxygen.

It also has the characteristic that the oxygen is not liberated from the nitrogen until it is subjected to heat - the heat found in your combustion chambers. As such it is *slightly* less dangerous than pure gaseous oxygen when released into the atmosphere.

I bet you really wanted to know that.

--

Olly

n2o is better than o2 for this application as the nitrogen, being a relitively innert gas, has a very weak chemical bond with the oxygen. The double bond in 02 is much stronger, so the oxygen atoms in a load of n20 is available much more easily for burning.

Think the difference between nos and nox is the shape and structure of the molecules.... that could be rubbish tho!

NOS stands for Nitrous Oxide Systems....it's a brand name, like Nitrous Express. NOx is just a general term for nitrous compounds.