Sign in to follow this  
task

Blown my supercharger.

I was always afraid it whould happen to me.but today it did.

I dont know what to do now, get a new charger or fit a turbo or just sell the car for half it's price.I am thinkiong of turbo setup but I need some advice from some one who has done a turbo setup to his corrado. what are the plus and the minus of it. I hear that the turbo is more reliable than the supercharger I dont know how true is that .

You can get recon superchargers for about £750.. not a huge huge bankbuster.

Provided you were not giving the car mega beans at the time it went (and you stopped the car as soon it happened) there should be no fragments of the old charger in your intercooler or block so it would just be a swap and replace job.

the car has about 170000 the charger was never rebuild

what happened that made you so sure that the charger is blown?

a big hole on top of the charger that was never there should be a clear indication that it is not in working order I guess? I hope I am wrong :roll: . I will post some pics tomorrow.

task, sounds like the top bearings have seized and punched a hole in the outer casing... New charger time if that's the case...

Saying that, 170,000 miles out of an none-rebuilt charger isn't exactly bad to be honest... Most people reccommend a rebuild every 40-60,000 miles so you've saved the cost of 3 rebuilds which should buy you a nice new charger! ;) :|

Clear indications of lack of prescribed maintenance of the charger are:

- big hole in the top of the charger accompanied by poor engine performance!

alright thanks henny. but can you give me your opinion on a turbo setup? is it really more reliable than the charger?

task, swings and roundabouts really... I know a guy who ran a MKI with a G60 engine and a turbo and he was never really happy with it and had lots of problems getting it setup properly, but I've seen a couple that have been done with good results...

I suppose it depends entirely on your budget and what you want to get out of the car... :|

You need to find out which bits are damaged in your charger, if you have managed not to damage your displacer, I have a charger with just a damaged displacer, that I would let you have cheap!

All i hear about these G-lader chargers is plagued with faults and breakdowns!

What's the craik, i'never ever buy one from what i've seen on here.

Chris

Yeah but i don't do shit to mine and it's got 168000miles on it and it geta c**ted about all the time and never breaks.

I'm sure these chargers are gay!

Thay always seem to be going 'puff' :lol:

Chris

Blow me, your charger has 168000 miles on it??? You've been a busy boy then... :lol: :roll:

You'll find that the G60 engines are well upto doing silly high milage, but the supercharger was somewhat on the limit of available engineering production methods when it was built, so it's understandable that they need servicing every now and then... The charger on my 1940cc engine is the original one and has been rebuilt only 4 times in 250,000 miles that I know of and is still good... 8)

lol 250,000miles and you say i've been busy hahaha good one Henster!

My charger's prob got 23+K miles on it but the engine at 168,000miles has never been rebuilt to date but i may do something in the near future to crisp it up some.

Chris

I know what you mean Chris, I have a charged VR with high millage to, all Im saying is the G chargers you hear about that have gone puff, are usually down to them not being serviced as per manufactures instruction.

It is yet to be seen if our chargers on our VRs will do 170,000 miles, okay the engines will, as will the PG engine.

I've done that mod when i first bought my g60,i used a jetta TD manifold,kkk24 turbo off an Audi 5000 5cyl engine,made up an extra take off for the wastegate,heavily shaved the G60 inlet manifold,fitted bigger injectors,made up a custom down pipe,oil feed,sump mods,water hoses to and from turbo,oil catch tank etc,preformance was quite good,got fed up with the small turbo,added a Garret T3/4,got fed up,added a 16v head,bigger intercooler,injectors,ecu.....,like rolling a snow ball down a snowy bank...

lol 250,000miles and you say i've been busy hahaha good one Henster!

My charger's prob got 23+K miles on it but the engine at 168,000miles has never been rebuilt to date but i may do something in the near future to crisp it up some.

Chris

Ah! you see, that's what I was on about... your ENGINE has 168K, but the charger's only on 23ish-K... :roll: If you'd got 168K on your charger, then I'd be a bit more receptive of your comments against G60 chargers... ;)

J-DUB's engine AND charger have done 250K+ miles in the 13years it's been around which, I think you'll agree, is pretty good going. Show me a charger like yours that has that kinda milage on it with only 4 rebuilds... ;)

Conclusion: G60 superchargers unreliable? nope, not if they're looked after properly... 8)

got 168000miles on it
it is getting pretty close to 170,000 better watch out buddy. :)

im seriously considering a rebuild now!! R1 here we come or shall i risk it? done 15,000 miles ago by jabba the clutz! :D

It turned out that this little belt has caused my super charger to blow . I could have changed it for 6 euros and saved my charger .**** :x.

no not yet. I tried but I dont have the proper tools or time today .I'll try over the weekend to get it out and open it with the help of a friend

It turned out that this little belt has caused my super charger to blow . I could have changed it for 6 euros and saved my charger .**** :x.

It's subject to a chicken and egg rule that belt.

Did it break through old age which then let the displacer get out of time. OR did it break as a result of the bearings in the top of the charger seizing, while the displacer kept rotating driven by the engine??????

From what Pitstop have told me, they think most failures are down to bearings seizing, which is possibly true as Jabba replace all items 'that require replacement' ie not everything!

Gavin

get 1 off ebay and rebuild it mate, second hand 1 usually goes for about £300-400 and ive seen new ones go for 1000-1200 dnt sell the car G60 are a car you`ll never replace, ive been at my wits end with probs at times and once they`ve been sorted ive been so happy i didnt sell it. what u gona get a car like every 1 else... get over it and buy your new super charger and send it to g-werks stage it up ! u know it makes sence...