Sign in to follow this  
sciroccotune

quick rear disc question..

Just a quick one. Should the rear discs on an abs Corrado have the same cage/round thing with holes in it as the front?

(I’m talking about the things behind the disc on the front that works with the abs sensor :roll: )

Yep, they are 'rotors' and best to get new ones when changing discs as they can distort when removed - about £10 a side from VW

Erm, the disks themselves are plain, then they have a mini collander type thing strapped to them for the ABS sensor...

Seems I don’t have these rotors on the back, the thing is I can't see how they would fit as the abs sensor sits very close to the disk.

Are they very thin, I mean very?

Oh well back to VW to get them tomorrow i guess. I'm sick of taking the rear wheels/discs off :evil:

Have you chucked the old discs away. The cage comes off a piece of pi**. Have you got an ABS fault now?

They do sit close to the sensor but thats all in the physics of how they work.

Pretty sure I have a spare pair in my garage somewhere.

Gavin

As far as I know they are not the same front/rear. The fronts are thin flat rotors and the rears are a smaller diameter "cage" like thing.

Perhaps this will help..... Item 26 is what you are looking for if it is there.

Hmm, don’t think I have such a thing.

I replaced the wheel bearing the other day and no such thing was present.

I take it that number 10 on the diagram is the rubber seal and 24 are the larger bearing and race.

What is 25?

Oh dear oh dear this may explain my abs problem, I have had the light come on over 15mph since I got the car!

Thanks for the help thus far chaps!

The ABS does its self check when you turn on the ign. It can find the 4 sensors but there will be a couple of missing signals from the rear wheels without the cages. This gets snagged at about 15mp0h as you say. That's when the fail light comes on.

Gavin

I take it that number 10 on the diagram is the rubber seal and 24 are the larger bearing and race.

What is 25?

10 is the back plate ring, a distance piece.

24 is the inner wheel bearing.

25 is the inner seal to the inner bearing.

Don't get fouled by the diagram. The speed sensor rotor is "collared" onto the rear of the disc itself. ie. it fits onto the disc on the outside where the inner bearing sits inside the disc. Its not part of the bearing assembly as the diagram might lead you to think.

How annoying is it when the previous owner has done stuff like this! : shakes fist:

I can see him now, "what does this do? Oh well wheel is back on now"

Anyway thanks for the help guys - guess I will just have to get new cages! At least they sound cheap.

Thanks for the info rw1. Don’t think I have an inner bearing seal either, but then again I have never seen such a seal on any of the dubs I have had (and that’s a few lol)

Once new sensor arrives (to replace the one I destroyed) I will be taking disks off again and getting said rotors..

Cheers