Sign in to follow this  
Blown

G-lader rebuild

How difficult is it?

Trying to weigh up the pros and cons of having to rebuild my charger by either stumping up and sending it off to somewhere for repair,or,as I think is the case,getting a kit and just taking it apart and replacing all the oil seals and apex strips myself.

As it's already been stage 4'd by Jabba,I won't be looking for any mod work to be done,so,back to the qeustion,how difficult/whats involved?

Cheers.

Firstly unless you know the ins and outs of the charger and you're a competent mechanic then get somebody to do it for you. Work will be gauranteed and you know that you'll get a top job done. If you mess it up and damage the delicate scrolls you may be looking at £800 for a new one. Second use either G-Werks (g-man) or JMR (16VG60). Both are proven to provide excellent service and quality workmanship. Mine's going to JMR in August. Also, the porting by Jabba is not known for being all that thorough so you may wish to ask whoever does it to "tickle up" the porting whilst the charger's apart. :) John (JMR) is on 07974 020031. If you leave a message he'll call back this evening and talk over what your requirements are.

I have done a few in the past and it's really not rocket science BUT as Neil says it doesn't take much to $hag one completely.

Plus you have the bother of finding someone who'll sell you the bits. g-man doesn't do it any more, not sure if pitstop will and who else can you go to??

They may seem awkward but the theory is that they cannot be blamed for anyone elses bad workmanship. Which I can fully understand.

Send it away as it's not that pricey in the scheme of things. I think the peace of mind is worth the 200 quid over the price of the parts.

Gavin

I asked pitstop when I was getting mine done, and I don't think they sell the kits anymore either... They are available from Germany though:

http://www.bar-tek-tuning.de/cgi-bin/co ... 16461&ls=e

For £264 ish... personally I'd like to attempt it myself next time just for the experience. However if its cost thats the motivation for doing it yourself, then I wouldn't bother, because you don't save a significant amount.