Sign in to follow this  
Ice White Socks

How much will VW charge for new radiator?? (VR-Fitted)

Hello- Put a previous post up about coolant leakage on ma new storm. It looks like the radiator has been holed. Its booked in to a VW main dealer on Tues. How much can I expect to pay?

I went out and got one from the stealers for my VR the only thing is that the front bumper has to come off as well as the lights to fit. from the stealers i think £160 but you can get a copy from german and swedish for a lot less, but i would go for a VAG part.

opps for got to add stealers will charge 2 hrs to fit so £100 +vat all in £280 :shock:

if from the stealers i guess not, they go after 70000-80000 miles from what i have being told, so should have them in, if not next day.

can i ask how much miles you have done..

Good Guess- 76800. I have only just bought the car on Staurday so I have been giving it some real hammer. Its 95 Storm & I hit 140 on the clock driving back up the A1. I think thats probably what did the damage!!

nah , vw are well built its one of those things that go with age..... 8) welcome btw and enjoy the forum

I found a bill for £500 relating to a radiator replacement on my VR6. It was sold via a BMW dealer and came with a warranty. The previous owner used it to good effect when the rad blew!! Being a BMW dealer, they seem to have done a good job of it! Nothing it seems is cheap for Corrados!

Kev

£230 i was quoted just for the rad :shock: unfitted about 1000 miles ago!! So i got a bloke from my local garage to get it recored £200 all in with labour although he had it for days

The bumper must come off as well as lights, grill then the slam panel is connected to brackets that are in front of the rad so has to be unbolted and levered up to slide the rad out of the bottom.

Dont do what i did and see how the guy was getting on with the job only to see my car in bits, a horrible sight.

Its ok now tho

Oh yeah and the freaky thing is my rad went @ exactly 76800 miles as well !!!!!!!

I also have a £500 bill relating to a radiator replacement on my VR6, that was from some dealer in London called “Scotts”.

Bit Steep I think.

how comes you guys paid a mint? i'm very sure thats what i payed for my rad from the stealers as i just checked my Bills, is it because i have a Golf ?? not sure, but do try GSF instead of repairing it again

Half way through 95 the VR6 rads apparently changed and are ultra expensive cos you cant get the £87 one from euro parts cos it ha the wrong mounts!

Thats why the guy had my car for days :mad: :mad: :mad: and i had to get my rad recored rather than shelling out £230 then fitting!

If you have a Storm the chances are you will have to pay the same. Do what i did, keep it off the road and get it recored cos the end tanks will still be there with the VAG stamp on £200 all in

Hey Kev what mileage was it changed at, out of interest ?

how comes you guys paid a mint?

Because it was done under warranty :lol:

There's no way I'd pay that if I had the car when it went as I'm more than capable of doing it myself, but if the car has a warranty, let someone else do the graft!

Kev

OK- Bit of a change of plan here. The stealers quoted £280 for the radiator fitted :shock: . Took it to a place called Volkspartz in Durham (as recommended by James) The guy fitted a new radiator and six new plugs for £287!!. The stealers would have been well over £500!! The guy who owns the place has a storm with 20k on the clock & a polo G40 so I knew he would take care of it. have just been able to rag the knackers off it for the first time in a week- I had forgotton how fast it was :D :D . Couple of points tho-

1) The guy sais it was exactly the same as the VAG part- it even had the VAG part number rubbed off. How do the stealers get away with it :x

2) Cos its a Bosch service centre- he fitted those Bosch four way spark jobbers- are they going to be OK?

3) A previous post talked about two different rads on the VR6, changing over mid '95, thats not correct- there is only one VR rad part number.

4) The guy only billed me for one litre of coolant-has he used enough?

5) The car now goes up to 114 'C on the oil temp when thrashed, is that OK

Sorry about length of post, I just kept on writing!!

Cheers

4. Probably ok, it dilutes with water but im not sure on the dilution ratio. If hed charged for the full capacity for coolant then worry.

5. Thats fine, bout the same as mine.

OK- Bit of a change of plan here. The stealers quoted £280 for the radiator fitted :shock: . Took it to a place called Volkspartz in Durham (as recommended by James) The guy fitted a new radiator and six new plugs for £287!!. The stealers would have been well over £500!! The guy who owns the place has a storm with 20k on the clock & a polo G40 so I knew he would take care of it. have just been able to rag the knackers off it for the first time in a week- I had forgotton how fast it was :D :D . Couple of points tho-

1) The guy sais it was exactly the same as the VAG part- it even had the VAG part number rubbed off. How do the stealers get away with it :x

2) Cos its a Bosch service centre- he fitted those Bosch four way spark jobbers- are they going to be OK?

3) A previous post talked about two different rads on the VR6, changing over mid '95, thats not correct- there is only one VR rad part number.

4) The guy only billed me for one litre of coolant-has he used enough?

5) The car now goes up to 114 'C on the oil temp when thrashed, is that OK

Sorry about length of post, I just kept on writing!!

Cheers

Glad to hear your VR is back up and running mate,possible c u around the area...give us a pm if you fancy a meet up..arni-ect :D