Sign in to follow this  
Bees

Hand Break Cable

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me where the adjusters for the hand break cable are located on my 93 VR6 – I would have thought they were either under the plastic surround where the hand break is or under the car – could any one clarify this for me.

Thanks a lot

Ok thank you very much for that - just wanted to check i was not going to take it apart for no reason :)

you can also adjust at the caliper end - details are on here somewhere...

apparently its better to adjust at the caliper rather than the lever...

All the adjustment is at the handbrake end. All you get at the caliper end is a sprung loaded cantilever which you can unclip the cables from, but there's no cable adjustment on the caliper itself.

Yes i located the cable fine and adjusted it to one of the wheels (thanks alot :) )- but the wheel still does not spin as freely as it should - as other rear wheel spins fine.

The rear brake calipers are uprated golf MKIII - ones with the springs - but i think that it is the caliper sticking or seizing up a bit - i drive and it normally ok but sometimes (twice in last week) smoke starts coming out from the rear brake and i can sometimes smell the pad on the disc too when i brake hard - and like said the wheel does not move as freely as it should

Do you think it is Seizing? and if so would it mean a whole new caliper?

Yes - it is seized & yes - you need a new one.

BTW - MK3 calipers seize just as easily as the MK2 ones .. :wink:

If you want calipers that won't seize, you'll need MK4 ones with conversion brake hoses.

ok thanks for that - i will be taking car to get that done then!!! :(

I have only recently bought the car and the person i bought the car from said that he had late style MK3 rear calipers - which have alot less chance of seizing - put on the rear - with that in mind i thought that the handbreak cable was a little tight on the wheel, so loosened (as it was a touch) and still the problem exisits - but as you say it sounds like i need a new caliper!

off hand does anyone know how much money a new caliper would be?

Thanks alot for help

Bees

Mk2 & Mk3 calipers are both prone to seizing with equal regularity (after a few years). Unless you're going to be keeping the car for several years, stick Mk2 calipers on. If you're keeping the car - stick a pair of Mk4 calipers & conversion brake hoses on.

The guy who told you that Mk3 calipers were less likely to seize than Mk2 ones was talking crap.

I recently fitted the Mk4s - simple - each one was done in about 40 mins (and I did actually adjust only at the lever end ;))