Sign in to follow this  
Bally

Car wouldnt start??

as above, drove to work, came home. Went check oil etc for run to No Rice meet, went to start it up & it was facking dead!! its got a new ignition switch, so not sure what it is?? the car was did this before after fitting new switch when car had been on a long run.. checked all leads, everything looked in place..

Ive got a CAT1 alarm & did notice the alarm LED flashing, reset the alarm & still nothing.. the fuel pump switches on & the dash lights come on, but car just wouldnt start!!

I left it & came back lastnight abt 11.30 & it started up fine!!!

what the fack is wrong??

my mate had this sorta problem and it ended up being a faulty wire on the ignition switch..have you checked it ?..

dodgy starter motor?

When you turn the key does it do anything at all? Good way to test is to have your headlamps on dipped as you turn the key, if it's dropping the headlamps to sidelights when you turn it, then it's unlikely to be the X-relay. If it dims the dash then it could be either the earth or +ve feed to the starter or even a dodgy battery or jammed starter motor.

Personally, I'd be stripping off the power connectors to the starter and the earth straps, cleaning 'em up and seeing how it goes from there.... ;)

dodgy starter motor?

When you turn the key does it do anything at all? Good way to test is to have your headlamps on dipped as you turn the key, if it's dropping the headlamps to sidelights when you turn it, then it's unlikely to be the X-relay. If it dims the dash then it could be either the earth or +ve feed to the starter or even a dodgy battery or jammed starter motor.

Personally, I'd be stripping off the power connectors to the starter and the earth straps, cleaning 'em up and seeing how it goes from there.... ;)

When you turn the key, the fuel pump kicks in.. all the dash lights come on too, but when I turn the key the car doesnt start? Ive got a new starter spare.. some1 else mentioned the starter...

cars running fine today, no probs, it started fine..

But next time it doesnt start I'll try that headlight method & I post up the outcome..

cheers

:lol: bill...

cheers for the replies.. yeap Flusted it wont do anything as you turn to 3rd position...

ok, another way of testing the loom, is next time put a wire from the solinoid to the positive terminal of the battery, i had a simular prop with my 16v and it turned out to be a dodgy connection at the ignition end

by direct feeding the solinoid you bypass all the electrics, mind you the ignition must be at the lights on position for this to work

Bally I've got teh same problem in my C too mate. I changed my Ign Switch a few weeks ago too and the same problem is still to be had! I'm now afraid to switch the car off in the event that I can't start it again! Hope you can find a solution mate, I'll try to find one too and if I can solve it thrn will post too.

Sanj

RMN, the RAC guy did that once when I got stuck in london.. he striped the wire & made a new conection, but did advise the starter maybe on its way out.. that was abt 4months ago..

hey sanj, I no what you mean.. got stuck at a car show on sat had to push start it lol.. havent had anytime to change the starter..

is it easy to swap over?? done a few on old cars but on on a VDub before..

cheers

Piece of piss, 2 bolts top and bottom, the earth connection and the positive feed, all really easy to see. Once its out you will need a jack to jack the engine and box up a bit as it drops when you take the bolts out. Not too tricky tho

well update, replaced starter.. what pig of a job!! after being sold a MK2 16v one starter, not realizing the gearbox's are different..

anyway got another starter today.. seems fine so far!!!

anyone need a golf MK2 starter???

thats a good start! the worst thing is if u change something over and it makes the situation worst

changed starter, ignition switch and checked every connection and cleaned them, had a guy come out and check the alarm nothing wrong there. So in the end put a push button start on, use it when it wont start. no problems now.

well after noticing a funny noise when starting a few times over wkend the facking starter i bought died lastnight!! ggrrr!! whats wrong with it??

Am I better of buying a new one! cant be facked messing abt with 2nd bits anymore!! gggrrr!!!

Ive replaced the starter.. noticed when the car get hots & I try to start the car it wont start!!!

on top of that the MFA oil temp is reading upto 160!! but the buzzer doesnt come on, the car cools down fine.. Ive cleabnbed all the sensors of the coil that go to the block etc.. what is causing this??

pls help..