Sign in to follow this  
CaiosG60 PWR

Best place to buy tools online

The cheapest I can find are Jawel paints (eBay shop) and justoffbase.co.uk. Neither is very convenient to use because there websites are terrible. But there cheaper than anyone else I can find. They sell mainly Sealey and Draper tools which do me fine.

Where's the best and cheapest place to buy tools online?

Have been using justoffbase for years and dont have a bad word to say about them :) like anything usualy pays to compare prices, machine mart are cheap yes but most of there stuff is clarke

Have access to Oscotts, a trade only supplier, they do mainly Laser tools and Draper, most of which is fine by me. Some bits I get from Germany whenever I'm there.

Tempest

Have been using justoffbase for years and dont have a bad word to say about them :) like anything usualy pays to compare prices, machine mart are cheap yes but most of there stuff is clarke

well mate i have have a hole garage full of snapon britool and mac tools and yes there very good but having said that i've just taken a new job on at work which i need alot of tools for and i are'nt going to take mine from home so i've just bought a load of the clark pro tool range and i'm very impressed with it cheap lifetime warranty you cant beat that :)

billinjahg60, where do you get your snapon and mac tools from, eBay?

yes mate i just shop around,i get some nice stuff cheap recently got a brand new long shaft 1/2" drive snap on ratchet for £25 its a meaty bugger!! although some of the mac tools arent that hot, some of the halfords professional stuff is good for light general work.

The thing about Halfords tools is that the Professional range has a life time warranty and it you break them they will replace them.

I've bought Snap~on for years and have a lot or receipths for them and Mac, some of Mac tools are better than the Snap~on equivelant, but not many, Britool was always good back in the day!

Chris

the Halfords Pro stuff is made by Sykes-Pickavant and is good stuff, a little agricultural at times, but should hold up well with age, and with a lifetime guarantee, why spend more? 8)

I've got the Halfords pro 150 piece kit and it's awesome. Just realised we're talking about car tools so my mate's site might be no good. He did get me a good torque wrench for £20 though. The lifetime guarantee with the Halfords proffessional tools does'nt cover any of the ratchet mechanisms, just the metal tools themselves.

Yep, Halfords Pro socket set, ratchet spanners, Torque wrench, Tool chests and a few other bits - biggrim, your right they don't cover the ratchets like Snap-On do but you can but a repair kit for not much...

Snap-On and Mac are a bit expensive for me. I usually buy Halfords pro or draper expert. Not had a problem with either so far. I've recently bought a Sealey compressor which is the dogs. So I'm going to order some of there tools to see what there like.

I could do with a good quality 1/2” drive ratchet though. I’ll keep an eye out on eBay for a good quality snap-on one I think.

I can recommend Jawel paints as they sold me my Sealey compressor for about 1/2 of the recommended retail price. They'll beat any price that you quote them too.

Mail order number – 0121 558 6193

Chris, they've got a massive range of tools too.

I stand corrected on Jawel paints, they couldn’t beat justoffbase.co.uk’s prices. Odd thing is I just phoned justoffbase and they couldn’t take my order because they where just leavening for the afternoon to go wakeboarding. Is that good customer service? :lol: At least they where honest and said even if they did take my order now it wouldn’t get posted until Monday anyway.

Looks like striping my gearbox will have to wait until Tuesday!

I'm in the market for a socket set at the moment and was looking at Britool stuff etc on eBay.

Just checked Halford's website this morning and the Pro 150 piece set is now down to a bargain £99.99 (from £149.99) again. I missed this deal by two days last time!!!

Reserved mine and picking it up later on today.

http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_det ... e=0&cat=68

Just checked Halford's website this morning and the Pro 150 piece set is now down to a bargain £99.99 (from £149.99) again. I missed this deal by two days last time!!!

Yep, I noticed that they were doing that again - absolute bargain for what you get, that set will probably last me the rest of my life!

Snap-On for me for ratchets, sockets and spanners (you cannot beat the flank drive system) but I like Facom for Pliers, punches etc, but dont really like Snap-On screwdrivers I find the tips a bit soft. Never really liked Mac stuff either bit Tractorish if you know what I mean. For snap-on dont buy from there website go to ebay if you can or the dealer as a last resort, the website is far more than a dealer charges as they set there own prices. For facom Ive not found anywhere as cheap as Partco even on the web.

I use the halfords pro range bought the big 150 piece kit about 5 years ago when it first came out as I was getting an Truimph and figured I would need some good tools!

Its lasted very well despite some abuse over the years and all the ratchets are still in a good working condition. Really very useful having all the sockets etc well laid out in a tough case - stops you wondering if you left anything in the engine bay if its all in the box!

My only criticism with the kit is the lack of a step up or down adapter, but you can buy those off the shelf anyway. Have recently bought a set of Halfords flexi head ratchet spanners and they are really very good.

I also own a large (2ft) breaker bar from them and it has broken on one occassion about a year after I bought it. No receipt but they just looked at it and ordered me a new one, no arguments.

So I think I am recommending the Halfords pro range after all that!!

I recently took back a oil filter removal tool made by Halfords - some of the cast iron casing chipped off whilst I tried to get the bugger of a filter off the C. Took it back and the numpty at the till (must have been a Mcdonalds graduate) reckoned he couldnt take it back cos I didnt have a receipt! I calmly pointed out that it had 'Halfords' embossed into it before he finally relented!

Hazet tools are good - and the ones VW are supplied with I believe

Cheap tools can be ok too, I picked this set of clips up from ALDI the other day, they are really strong and feel about the same as the Halfords one's except these cost £3.99 for the whole lot!! - quite a good addition to my tool box i thought as they are padded so should not damage fuel hoses etc...

(pictured on my mums pink carpet just for Dinkus..)