Sign in to follow this  
BarneyVR6

What are the best spark leads and plugs for a VR6

The best plugs are the standard or platinum ngk ones.

I would also be interested in knowing what leads to get.

Anyone got any experiences with leads and plugs what with the engine running so hot, good or bad let me know.

i've always been told that the NGK's are the best for coping with how hot the engine can get.........as for the leads not too sure really just like everything else get the best that you can afford

The best plugs are the standard or platinum ngk ones.

also joe M the platinum ones are only worthwhile if you have the likes of the vsr fitted as they standard NGK's cost less than half the price of the platinum NGK's and have 20k and 40k service intervals respectively......though its wise to change either a bit more frequently

Gone for the Magnecor leads and standard plugs but have been looking at the Denso Iridium plugs. Anyone else tried them? Heard good things about them on Jap cars but the VR is a funny engine.

The VR6 runs the same plugs as a Toyota Celica GT4, so I would presume Jap stuff is fine...

They're also the same 5-stud hubs too, since my neighbour has 15inch Speedlines off a VR6 on his GT4 :)

All to their own I suppose. I've got some horrible 15" 5 spoke things on mine at the minute. They are coming straight off as soon as my nicely dished 17" League 119 Tanto's arrive wrapped in lovely Toyo Proxes, :D

I've got the triple platinum Bosch plug in mine with standard leads,not had any probs with either as far as I am aware!Should the platinum plugs be changed as frequently as the normal ones?Just going slightly away from the topic,I have used the Fully Synth oil from the stealership for the last two changes.Can anyone recommend that I change my ways and turn to Mobil1 or something different........

ClassicStorm, Stick with the plugs VW reccommend for your C. The stealers told me that the best oil to use in my VR was castrol Magnetec.

My car runs really well with this setup! Just need to upgrade my leads to 8 or 9 ml

RAMS

Cheers mate,will I need to change the plugs this year again?I will look into the Magnatec oil,fully synth tho I guess?I presume that you are going to go for standard VAG leads?I think I saw a post about the Nology Hot Wires,I thought that they were the daddy's....

NGK platinum plugs are supposed to last for approx 40k mile intervals........though to be honest they are more than double the cost of the standard NGK plugs which are good for 20k intervals.......so unless you hate changing plugs or have a VSR 8) its not really worth changing to the platinum ones IMHO

.... Just going slightly away from the topic,I have used the Fully Synth oil from the stealership for the last two changes.Can anyone recommend that I change my ways and turn to Mobil1 or something different........

Avoid Mobil 1 it's too thin! I've heard some horror stories of VR6 engines run exclusively on 0W40 from new dying of oil pump failure at 70 to 80k ish miles due to the pressure relief valve in the pump getting stuck in its bore. VW recommend their Synta Silver which is 10W40 I think?

Ideally should run 10W40 in winter & 15W40 in summer.

Its not a bad idea, VW sell the stuff and woulnt sell rubbish oil for their engines. Im sure there isnt a massive difference ecspecially if you take car with the rev range from when you start your engine from cold.

The magnetec is supposed to cling onto you moving mechanical parts very quickly, well that is their moto on advertising, '' your engine is protected from the moment you turn the key''.

Your best bet is to change the oil more regulary, I have just thought of it like a hair cut, nice, clean and feeling fresh and ready to get the ladies!

The guy that is going to be doing all the servicing on my car for me has said not to use Magnatec because it's "s**t" for VR's as the heat of the engine breaks it down.

Ideally should run 10W40 in winter & 15W40 in summer.

This is SPOT ON advice..... :lol: 8)