Sign in to follow this  
Yandards

Knife Edged Throttle Body

Finished knife edging my TB for my project last night at work, quite pleased with it so here is a picture..

..and yes I know it does not need to be shinny but it looks nice and you can see you have taken all the sanding and filing marks out then :wink:

Looks pretty sweet 8) Let us know what improvements you get over the stock, cos I think I'll be doing mine too. Albeit without air tools, might take a little while longer....

Not at all Gavin...:lol: It was of course worked during my tea breaks :wink:

Can't let you know what the improvement will be Randal as its part of a larger package (16v G60)

Can't let you know what the improvement will be Randal as its part of a larger package (16v G60)

Nice, very nice. 8)

If you look at a 16v TB (Not sure about a VR) you will that VW have made the casting similar to the work I have done on my TB.

Previously it looked like the picture below (Its the back but it will do)

As you have air entering this area it creates turbulence because of the large flat area - this is very ineffcient as it creates excess pressure. By knife edging the flat lump you allow the air to separate cleanly and it reduces turbulence.

The guys on here that have done this report an increased crispness in the throttle response (No turbulence to overcome) and a noticeable increase in acceleration (Improved effciency)

got you, so basically you've 'thinned out' the middle section between the two circles to improve the flow through the TB?

If you look at a 16v TB (Not sure about a VR) you will that VW have made the casting similar to the work I have done on my TB.

Previously it looked like the picture below (Its the back but it will do)

As you have air entering this area it creates turbulence because of the large flat area - this is very ineffcient as it creates excess pressure. By knife edging the flat lump you allow the air to separate cleanly and it reduces turbulence.

The guys on here that have done this report an increased crispness in the throttle response (No turbulence to overcome) and a noticeable increase in acceleration (Improved effciency)

would it be worthwhile narrowing part of the spindles too, they seem like quite an obstruction, especially on full throttle?

David.

Yup, creating a smoother path for the air flow, you can see the old gasket marks on the pic above to give you an idea of area that was worked.

In an ideal world you would take more out but the TB is not a uniform width so you would end up with a hole in it!

its also worth porting the adaptor that bolts between the throtttle body and the boost inlet pipe as it is about 4 - 5mm thick where it enters the pipe,, also not good for turbulence,,

olly elworthy, ooh, yes... mine's about 2mm thick now... ;)

Looks cool Yan. Once I get moved and take the valver to bits I'll be round to see you........

olly elworthy, ooh, yes... mine's about 2mm thick now... ;)

ideal, gonna sort mine out when i fit my flowed inlet manifold and big valve head,,,, cant wait!!

just gotta get my nurburgring trip done first!! :wink:

I slimmed my spindles down and fitted countersunk screws cos the screw heads are massive and a big restriction

Not at all Gavin...:lol: It was of course worked during my tea breaks :wink:

)

Which, as you are a heavy are much shorter than those of the fairies eh :roll: :wink:

ot but flusted where did you get the ally expansion tank?

Allard motorsport used to sell em on ebay,give em a buzz

Fairies dont work they just come in and attend 'Card School' :p

Was already 'de-coring' the other section of the TB, thanks for the tip about the bolt heads though flusted :)