Kevin Bacon

The Forced Induction VR6 thread

This (cleaned up!) thread is for all things force fed on the VR6 motor.

Of the 2300 posts in this thread prior to the clean up, 85% of it was bickering, chit chat and unrelated banter/gassing. I have removed it all in a non-discriminatory fashion with the aim of "starting afresh", ergo I have retained all the pertinent posts with good pics. I'm sure it will expand again but please keep it on topic peeps 8)

Here's the basic VF Stage 2 kit fitment guide I did some time ago, which may still be useful to some folks.

Fitting, the Haywire method....which isn't the only way, but is what I was happiest with personally:-

1) Buy sump - £40

2) Punch and tap it then fit return union. Reason being, loads of cr@p gets in there as you can see in the pics. Better to be safe than sorry.

3) Remove old sump and fit new one. Nip bolts up to 18lb/ft with a new gasket.

4) Remove belt tensioner

5) Undo front engine mount top nut and jack engine up and remove alternator support bolts.

6) Fit idler pulley with supplied bolts into the holes where you removed the standard bolts. Spacing may be required as per pics.

7) Fit charger and 6 ribbed belt with supplied bolts. Second person maybe required to assist with fitting of the inlet pipe, which needs to be done at the same time.

8 ) Tension belt so that you get 30 degrees reflection between charger and idler pulley.

9) Fit Oil supply and return hoses.

10) Fit MAF clamp as per pic. Red and black wires to +12V and Ground, Blue wire with red stripe to MAF signal wire (red) on the VW loom, and plain blue wire goes to the red wire 'from' the MAF. So it's working in series intercepting the signal, if you see what I mean? For a switched live, I tapped into the wiper power supply which keeps the loom short and earthed to the ABS sensor bracket.

11) Fit oil catch tank and other hoses etc.

12) Remove ECU and fit chip

13) Fit red top bosch injectors.

And erm I've forgotten but I think that's it-ish....it's easy, just take your time and you'll be fine. I would fit the chip first and turn the engine over. If it doesn't fire, abandon the project and contact NSRacing.

Does anybody have a VGi with a VF kit? If you guys don't already know...the VF inlet pipe WILL NOT fit the VGi without modifications.

Heres mine:

Corrado_077.sized.jpg

With all this grunt going through the front wheels these days, a front turret brace is a wise investment. It stops the turrets pulling apart when deploying big torque. You only need an upper one. Lower braces are only useful for extreme decked cars and ULTRA grunt. I like this Eurosport one. Fits super and turboed engines a treat and doesn't foul anything.

I still think this is the way forward when using the OE management.....a 4" MAF housing. Or a MAP sensor, but I couldn't one of those to work on the OE ECU :(

mafhousing.jpg

A typical Stage 2 VF dyno plot. One of my early ones. I think this was with the original GIAC chip, which as you can see, is some way off the advertised numbers!!

Don't need to say an awful lot about this, suffice to say Vince is the man 8) This was my best S/C map by far. OBD2, MAF map, Stage 2 8psi. It was awesome.

Nice one, so you're defo booked in then?? :-)

What else did you get from Bill? Pipework?

that'd be too easy - like everything else on the car - its all bespoke -

can't be doing with paying people to do things - even get the wife to do the decorating and gardening :oops: :lol:

Gawd knows what it'l be be when its finished - its such a mixture of bits :roll:

See below for "pipe kit" and MIG - Schimmel-shmimmel!!! have welder, will.........weld? :roll:

at last, people in the UK are actually starting to push the boundaries once again with some real tuning kit, just ditch that sodding Moronic management and it's poxy MAF will you!

struggling to get sorted but i thought i should jump in and participate to the thread again. Hope to get down to vinces before 9th but have been bloody loaded with flu and not got much done :(

anyway - cars in bits still but here's a few shots

finally got a map to be proud of yesterday -

i've always regarded Vince and Stealth very highly, but the time and expertise put in for the map yesterday was unbelievable and I honestly believe the expertise and dedicaton to getting the best from a car and producing the best map available would be hard to find elsewhere. Thanks a lot Vince - for everyone who already knows Stealth, I can only reinforce their reputation and for everyone who doesn't, be assured your car would be in safe hands.

Quotes of the day.

before first run

Vince " Watch the gauge (KW gauge for rollers) - if we get to 140, we're doing really well!!"

after first run with guesstimate map to 5000rpm

"F*&KING HELL!! 193KW!!!!!"

Vince " If it gets any higher, we'll be out of range and that'll be it, can't complete the map!!!"

"I've only rough mapped to 5000rpm, we'll see what we get - 324bhp!!!!, for a first run partly-mapped run!"

second run

"58bhp!, wheres the power gone!!!!!!" (Frantic panicking by all!!) - Blew the intercooler pipes off......... ;)

12 runs later, after

- spraying sticky stuff on the rollers to stop wheel spin

- lashing the front, back and over the slam panel and anywhere else we could tie the car down

- blowing the extrator box, pipe and weight across the room etc...

oodles of torque due to the crank and manifold but not as much additional bhp as we initially expected as all the power is below 6000 with this crank - where you want it really. Gave us a shock as a first run of 324, we were expecting mapping up to 6800rpm and getting 350bhp!!! But a fantastic, smooth, linear, VERY torquey map - majority of power and torque below 5500 so no need to rev the engine. Superb result.

Mods - how can i post 3gp vid on the thread? i've uploaded to photobucket but theres no sound?

331.1bhp @5884

311.2lb ft @5150

bhp_graph.jpg

torqu_graph.jpg

we ;)

secrets get out quick, eh....

with that setup, i haven't experienced any noticable slip after sourcing the 7 rib belt as well.

pulley size is trial and error i'm afraid kev as its hard to predict with your setup. All i can offer you is custom made pulleys to whatever diameter you want. And on the topic of square engines, all i meant was squarer than it is, not totally square. Still want the capacity but "more square" will get that top end power. In all honesty, it just becomes a game chasing higher bhp for the sake of it. It doesn't honestly need any more power.

Anyway, as i mentioned on the phone, here's some quick shots of the business end of the engine as it progressing with the tidyup exercise - camera phone only at the mo, i'm afraid - and a video which for some reason hasn't got sound????

th_07042006001.jpg

Picture36.jpg

Picture34.jpg

Hi lads can someone tell me whats going on in this picture ??. i was looking around for a couple of pics for a vortech stg3 upgrade for the golf just to get some ideas and came across this, can anyone set it right ????

it takes upto 6 hours to fit a stg 3 apparently :)

thanks vr6boy