Sign in to follow this  
Shilakadaddy

Golf G60 Intercooler - Installation is finished!

I've just taken delivery on a Golf Rallye intercooler purchased off german ebay... it's huge! I'm dead chuffed! :lol:

Anyway, I now need to get the pipework sorted...

I'm guessing I can get the u-bend outlet from g-werks. But after that where do I go to get the other pipes? I've seen the stuff Bar-Tek offer HERE. From that I'm guessing I want the G-60 Golf CO-boost-pipe and G-60 Boost Hose big Intercooler RALLY Golf... but is that everything needed to get this fitted?

I remember Henny saying the boost pipe was a bit too long from Bar-Tek (as I believe he bought the same pipework, but also got the metal boost return pipe which I'm not bothered about) and had to get it cut down... so I'll PM him about that when he gets back.

Also once fitted where would people recommend going to get the car properly setup (timing etc.). The choice is really between Stealth and G-Werks... stealth racing is closer and has a rolling road, but obviously G-werks are used to dealing with G60's??

Finally, are there seperate chip maps for FMIC's... after getting this done is there any benifit to getting a new chip for the car? I'm assuming I don't need one, but I may as well ask.

Cheers guys, Chris

you can get a samco boost hose kit for the rallye fmic

all you need is the rallye elbow and the piece to connect the boost pipe from the cooler exit flexable to the pipe inot the throtle body, you can just use a straight piece of tubing for this if you get a bung put into it for the air sensor

It will make a huge difference!

what sort of pulley are you running?

the chip is dependant on that amongst other things like the injectors

ps you may have to mod the towing eye on the front of the car to clear the intercollers intake

Replace the word "mod" with butcher. Took me all day to fit mine. Damn oil cooler sandwich plate had to be turned to clear the u-bend. I would change the oil filter while you're there as well.

Thats not actually a rallye intercooler its a golf g60 one which is 1" shorter in overall length ...these fit with alot less work than the rallye item.

Its a definately a golf one? Silly germans, but that makes things a whole load easier!

So if I get a U-bend from G-werks, Samco hose U-bend to cooler, and the boost pipes + other samco from Bar-Tek then I should be sorted? I'm getting excited!! :D

You're a world of knowledge Darren :) Can you supply the pipework to get this fitted by any chance? Oh also does the U-bends you have come with the gasket etc. with them?

Cheers :D

Bar tek for the piping or get it custom made. An the u-bend you can use the RSR outlet an a 135deg 76mm samco.

Do you know where I could get the samco from?

Just worked out that the pipe work will cost me about £320 if I buy a u-bend outlet, and then the samco from that to the cooler... so if I can save some money by combining those two into a single samco, and using my existing RSR outlet, that would be a bonus :)

You could try the Samco sport website an look for a list of distributors in your area.

You can definately save some money an not buy a u-bend an use your RSR with the samco pipe to create the u-bend effect. As for the pipework you want to find a local fabricator to make some up.

If bar-tek can supply the samco in black, then I think I'll get the pipework from them... then I guess I'll have to work out the exact specs of the samco I need for the charger to cooler - unless someone else already knows it?

Also do I need to get the cooler cleaned or pressure tested?

I'm looking at doing this mod soon aswell.

I was also wondering about pipes etc, don't the Golf G60 IC pipes fit in the Corrado ?? Stealth told me the U-bend was available from VAG, what about other pipes ??

Would be nice to have custom made alloy tubing though, if you're thinking the same chris me and a mate could get them made at the same time to save ££ Possible GB ?

I like the sound of that!

The Golf IC pipes do fit as far as I know, I just didn't know where I could get hold of them, and also really like the idea of having alloy tubes as you said :)

I think the u-bend is available from VW, however I seem to remember someone saying they charge about £250 for it! So much easier to get it off Darren, or ebay etc.

We actually only need one pipe making, the rallye u-bend, and then a few samco pieces to bring it all together. If you take a look at the picture attached (Henny's IC pipework bought from Bar-Tek) The main IC pipe is the one at the top. The 2 90° elbows connect that tube to the throttle body, and the outlet of the intercooler. Finally the large piece of samco on the right of the picture, connects the U-bend outlet to the inlet of the intercooler. The other pieces shown in the picture are for the boost return - although on a seperate note, while doing this I was thinking it would be cool to make up a twin inlet system on the supercharger, that had a tube from the charger to where the battery is...

The basic items listed above from Bar-Tek cost around £220... The big piece of samco costing £90 alone! Even then, the tube still needs to be cut down an inch or so according to Henny, and have the end re-crimped (I don't actually know the proper term, but you know... kinda made fatter to stop the hose falling off).

So... should we see who's interested, and ask Darren if he can sort out a couple of kits?

Cheers for that Polo Classic, that really illustrates what a tight sqeeze the Rallye intercooler is into the corrado :)

I spoke to Darren this morning about getting the pipework made up for this, and he says he can provide all the Samco hosing and the Rallye U-bend outlet at the moment, and is currently trying to get the main boost pipe sorted... he said he'll know more soon

Thats cool !! Deffo up for those aswell, i'll speak to my mate later (keystarG60) who i expect will be interested aswell. Just need an intercooler now !!

Spoke to Stealth today because i've heard they're teaming up with Forge to make replica G60 IC's, but this won't be for another month. A new one from VW was £527 + VAT !!! Ouch.

So is yours a Rallye or G60 one Chris ?? Dare i ask how much you paid ??!!

Part number should be 191145805 H for the G60.

Well it would seem it's a G60 one, which seems to be the best one to go for, so I'm happy :) I bought mine off german ebay - ended up costing me £235 including delivery, which is a bit more than I was hoping to pay (someone threw in a bid 2 seconds before the end which hiked up the price by 50 euros!! :mad: ) but considering they seem to go for around £400 on here, its not too bad... looks to be in a lot better condition too, although I'll pressure test it to confirm this.