Sign in to follow this  
Shilakadaddy

Golf G60 Intercooler - Installation is finished!

that seems to be the top price they go for too... 251 euros is what the germans keep bidding for them (I lost another auction by 1 euro)... see if you can download one of those programs that auto bids 1 second before the auction ends - I think thats what other people do!

Type in "G60 Ladeluftkühler" into UK ebay, and it will show you the ones willing to post to the UK - postage only cost me 28 euros which I thought wasn't bad :)

I randomly checked that part code you listed, and its the same as on the intercooler i've got, so yeah definately a normal G60 one

No need to expend money for this.

You can build up your own CO2 Pipe.

Have a look at the original Corrado pipes.

All you need to do is to cut /remove with a solder-iron the CO Pot place from the original hose.

And then place it on the IC one using the soldering iron once more ( You will need to open a hole on the pipe first, so than you can place it there).

You may also use some metallic grill to reinforce the new pipe. Melting it on the plastic hose, you won´t see it in the end if you´re handy!

This is how i made my own custom pipes.

It works very well.

I wish i had some pictures to stick here, as my english is a little poor...

im pretty sure forge allready make a replica rallye intercooler

What do you need to do to get the Rallye one in ??

Have you done this Darren ??

yes i have done this a few times now.... the german how-to is exactlly how i had to fit them... see above. the box-section towing eye has to be tweaked to fit.. :wink:

OK cheers mate. Found a Rallye one so could be worth looking at.

I spoke to keystarG60 who is also interested in the pipework :wink:

I think thats the second time thats been up for sale, as I'm sure its the same one I got outbid on...

kongo127, I kinda follow what your saying about modifying the original CO pipe, but what are connecting it to? or is it just modifying the old one?

For the Golf IC outlet you will only need to modify the old one:

- The CO-Pot place from the original pipe (cut it with some big margin, otherwise you may damage it)

- The other pipe from the stock IC (open a hole on it, you will weld the CO2 place here)

- And a small IC rubber hose (short) i don´t remember correctly where i got it from... i believe it was from the IC inlet or even from the black silencer box from the charger... :wink:

Of course... if you can get the orginal Golf G60 pipework that´s great!

Take it as a hobby and save some pences! :-P

I´ll paste a picture here tomorrow showing how it looks after the job. Maybe it will help. :)

Ah ok so your using both the inlet and outlet IC pipes from the corrado to create a single one you can use? I think I might give this a try as a temporary measure of installing the intercooler, depending on how long it takes to get the alloy pipework made up. I'm guessing in addition you still need the U-bend outlet and some kind of connecting hose to get the intercooler fully installed (on the inlet side of things)?

There's a few G60 intercoolers on ebay at the moment. I'm bidding for one, obviously the most expensive one............

Keep in mind that if you go for the Rallye on as a opposed to the std Golf G60 on, you might want to mod the end tank like the one in the pic of my mates ex-16v G60 Rado

*Mod edit - image resized - Henny*

Quick update for anyone interested...

I emailed bar-tek and they said they can't supply the samco hosing for their kit in anything but blue :( which is unfortunate...

Also I was watching an ebay auction for G60 boost tubes, but the price has gone a bit high for me... the guy said he'd post to the UK for 20euros I think, so if anyone else wants to bid:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 7992780429

not long left...

Not really an update, but some more information...

I very nearly bought the Bar-Tek pipework and samco yesterday, however it would seem buying from them is more expensive than I realised. They accept bank transfers or paypal, which means either paying £27 + a poor exchange rate to Western Union. Or 4% paypal fee's + currency conversion fee's, taking the total cost of the pipes and samco up to £241 (western union option would have cost £262) :(

I hope Darren is having better luck getting the pipes sorted with his pipe bender!

OK, I've only just seen this thread... :oops:

Right, the Bar-Tek kit is VERY good... the reason that I bought it was that I needed it ASAP after bursting the Ubend to intercooler rubber pipe and needing to use the car for work. They were the only place I could find at the time who could get me one for a good price and on a short delivery time (samco said 6 weeks, Bar-tek took 4 days!)

While I was spending I decided to replace the metal pipes and other hoses with their silicone kit too as the other rubber hoses were starting to show their age and I didn't want to pop another hose straight after buying one silicone one.

I did have to trim off the end of the metal pipe by the throttle as it seemed to sit a little too far back for my liking, however I never actually got around to getting my mate to flange the end of it, :oops: so it's a straight end on the pipe. It's done several thousand miles since (mostly being thrashed silly :twisted: ) and the pipe is still attached with no problems... 8) The mod just involves getting a hacksaw and lopping off about 2.5cm of the pipe! :lol:

I paid them by bank transfer direct from a HSBC bank (actually one in Cornwall 'cos I was on holiday when I needed to pay for it!) and it cost an extra £9 for a 7 day transfer and you got that days exchange rate.

Second hand rubber boost hoses are gonna be at least 14 years old and ain't gonna be much good. Similar applies with the plastic tubes, they do go brittle over time and if they've rubbed against the P/S pipework they can crack and leak putting you back to square one... If you're gonna change 'em, go silicone and metal... ;)

Well the pipework arrived from bar-tek, so I've started installing the intercooler now :D I'm taking pictures as I go so that a 'how to' guide can be written.

However I've come across a problem that I wasn't expecting - I'm using the standard corrado radiator, and when lining the intercooler up using the standard mounting points on the cross member, it would seem the intercooler is fouling on the radiator :?

Has anyone come across this problem before? Or should I be ignoring the standard mounting holes?

Cheers, Chris

You must ignore that mounting hole for the water radiator.

Just place the IC in all holes.

It will run ok.

You will also need to bend those two iron clips to fix (on top) the water radiator properly.

personally, i would get a bigger radiator,since now it gets the hotter air from the FMIC.

The original radiator that comes behind the FMIC(on a golf G60) is as wide as the intercooler itself.

Just keep in mind that the water temperture could go a bit up in this setup.

This pic lets you see how big the radiator is:

http://home.concepts.nl/~jeroenlo/rallye-set.JPG

i wouldnt worry too much about higher water temps. ive fitted a rallye intercooler (which i paid silly money for!) and have not had any issues. i think you have to move the radiator into another hole. i dont think you have to modify your towing eye quite as much as i did!!!

I expect that with your set-up Chris you'll be OK because you have an oil cooler which will bring water temps down aswell ............. keep updating the thread mate, i'll be doing mine soon.

Strange that the cooler hits the rad though, are you saying that the rad is in its standard holes, the IC in standard holes and this is what happened ??

I've cut a big hole in the front bumper too, so hopefully everything will have a bit more air flow. Luckily cooling shouldn't be a problem this time of year anyway, but we'll see next summer...

carpoid, yep it would seem that due to the corrado radiator not being as wide as the rallye one, the mounting points are different, and they don't quite fit together - very close tho!

I've got all the pipework now, so I'll be able to position the intercooler where it has to go, and move the radiator back an inch or so

Will post updates tomorrow evening to show the progress overall :) I have to admit I'm having fun doing this, just hope it does something! :lol:

Cool, Darren reckons a 15-20% power gain, thats goota be good.

I've got a Rallye cooler and radiator (for the Australian sun) for mine. Did you get the gasket and bolts sorted ?? And what about the weird support bar thingymajig !!??

15-20% would be around 30-40bhp on my car! :shock: I'm certainly not expecting that, but would be nice :D

Hopefully the gasket will be here in the morning from zerocool. Just got the bolts from VW as they cost me about £2 :) As for the support bar, I think I'm just going to modify the old one, or make a new one - shouldn't be too difficult (famous last words :?)