Sign in to follow this  
lukeage

abs?

Hi All,

Just went to view a vr6 and noted the following:

When turning on the ignition (the power phase before you fire it) the abs light would flick for about 2-4 secs and a load of fast bleeps would emit. Also noted that there was no phump / pulse when holding my foot on the brake.

What do you guys reackon?

As far as I understand, if the ABS has any faults, it will fail safe, i.e. off, so that it doesn't try and use any dodgy components. Did the light stay on?

You can get more detail from the VAG-COM if you're otherwise serious, and there's anyone nearby willing to lend it.

ABS light coming on for a few seconds when the ignition is turned on is normal. The car checks the ABS system (light on) & if the system checks out okay, the light goes out again.

If the ABS light stays on - there's a problem of some kind.

Maybe it was ok - the light did go out as normal - but prior to that there would be a fast immitent type flash- not sure where the bleeps came from?

Maybe all the gurning and dancing round in field off the a4 is having its flash backs :)

There is normally a pulse felt through the pedal though i am right?

There's no ABS pulse through the pedal until you drive away and hit 10kph, when it runs through the valve self-tests. Anything else that happens is a figment of your imagination...

I get a pulse through the brake pedal when starting the car.

And it's not my imagination either :)

I get a pulse through the brake pedal when starting the car.

And it's not my imagination either :)

i get the same pulse aswell..i thought it was the abs setting up

You talking about the push from the brake vacuum assist coming in when you start the engine? Or an ABS pump pulse?

Afaik (and I didn't design it mind), the ABS doesn't operate any valves at all until the 10kph self test.

It sounds as if its OK as the lamp initially flashes and then goes out. Other than vagcom checking, the easy way to test it is drive the car and brake hard. If the wheels lock up then it's not working.

When you turn the ignition to stage 2, the ABS system builts up pressure and checks sensors on both circuits (hence the light flashing twice)