Sign in to follow this  
CaiosG60 PWR

Not my charger!!

My chargers gone on the way back from tatton park! :cry: :x Typical charger damage, (see pic) cant really tell if the little belt lost some teeth or a bearing sezied. The belt has half its teeth missing and a bearing in the little shaft (syncronising shaft??) feels a bit notchy with one particularly bad click. :-( :-( :-(

Whats the going rate for a charger thses days? I'm not prepared to spend much. If it costs to much I'll go for a hole 20v engine and break my g60 engine. :cry: :cry: :roll:

gulp. hate seeing chargers gone bang! make me want a vr! nope that feelings gone make me want a refurb to r1 spec! theres a charger on ebay at the minute mate £400

harsh mate! charger in mine went before i bought it. a freind owned it at the time.

btw if you do go down the 1.8t route, i'm hunting for a chip/pulley/3.5 bar reg.

good luck with the search!

Baz.

cheers for replys and encouragment!

If I do go the 20v route it wont be untill Ive finish the camper van I've currently got in about 100 pieces all over the shed!

man, that sux big time!

sorry to hear that man, although it was good to meet you on Sunday!

hope you get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Cheers

Lippy

Another one :( really nice engine spec too, it'd be a shame to see you getting rid of it, but at the same time 1.8T would be even better :twisted: If you do go down that route theres probably a couple of bits I'd be interested in :lol:

Bummer....and you were doing so well with the Gearbox and all....

I hate to say it but that is one major reason why I avoided the G60 Corrado....but as with everything, some G60s go on forever on the original charger and some pop....

Yeah, I was doing about 45 to 55mph in some road works when I turned the music down to hear what sounded like a blown boost pipe. I was even still geting some boost as the boost return was hissing.

I know Kev, I spent a couple of 12 hr days rebuilding my gearbox only for this to happen. What ever I end up doing the gearbox is a keeper. I'd probably keep it even if I sold the car. Lot of work and worth quite a bit. ;-) Never know kev, VR6 engines are quite cheep now, could put one of them in instead. :lol:

aarggh! Chargers are still expensive! It looks like £400 or so then maybe a rebuild on top of that. Bugger!! Thats quite a bit to spend on something that could just blow up a couple of months later. :-( My mates got some intact outercaseings, so at the moment if I can find one I only want a scroll.

I know Kev, I spent a couple of 12 hr days rebuilding my gearbox only for this to happen.

I can only imagine! I watched Vince do my box and it took him all day non-stop, and he does them regularly. Wouldn't fancy doing it myself. It's bloomin typical that you reward the car with a nice new box and it returns the favour by lunching the charger :?

Never know kev, VR6 engines are quite cheep now, could put one of them in instead. :lol:

Indeed they are, just stick a VR in with a Vortech blower and forget about it for another 100,000 miles 8) The worst that can happen with a Vortech is a seal or bearing will go at or around 100K. It'll never ever smash a hole in it's casing.

aarggh! Chargers are still expensive! It looks like £400 or so then maybe a rebuild on top of that. Bugger!! Thats quite a bit to spend on something that could just blow up a couple of months later.

You have my sympathies. I suppose it's the overhead that comes with such a unique engine :( If you can rebuild a gearbox, you can sure as hell rebuild a charger 8)

kevhaywire, whats with the new avatar mate?? FI and the old days!

if you got any can you post a few links to stuff about 16v turbos, never being able to find much stuff that stealth did... just the old webpage!

cheers

CaiosG60 PWR, it`s a proper bummer, glad your being so upbeat about it

can we not build a monster g60/turbo in your shed?????

ben

ben16v, Yeah, the good old days! Been doing some housekeeping on the PC and found a pic of my old 16V Turbo. It brough back some fond memories :lol: 1800 Turbo, Garrett T25, Water/Methanol injection etc, it was a nice car. That pic was taken at an Evo Magazine meet in 2001 which was a good day out. Loads of 911s, Astons, Scoobs, Ferraris etc. Highly recommended. I kept up with my mate's 911 (993) along some B road thrashes.... and so I should with a Power/weight ratio of 242bhp per tonne, which is 10 more than my charged VR 8)

Stealth don't do the conversion anymore, which is a shame as it's such a brilliant engine. Haven't got any links, just what's in my head.

Anyway, slightly OT, LOL!

Maybe a subforum called 'Readers old rides' ? I'm sure many of us have some decent machinery from our pasts!

kevhaywire, cool looks like i was 5 years late!!!! doh!!!

thats all i would want my car to have :lol:

the `ol lady will have none of it though

back OT!

(although i know cai doesnt mind)

No worries benji! If I break my engine, the bottom end could be used by you to go 16vG60. Well I think it can be done that way!

Anyway, I stripped my charger this morning and found that the scroll was knackered. The outside edge with the seat for the apex seal had a massive chunk out of it and loads of cracks. Its definetly hit the casing when the chargers got out of sink. But it looks like the damage has been building there for a while. When Steve and Darren rebuilt my charger last they did point out some repair work on the edge of my scroll as a weak point of my charger. The few chargers that I've seen open have shown wear on the scrolls where the apex seals sit. I think that seat gets thin over the years. :-( There was grease/oil present in some of the cracks on the scroll which makes me think they where there before its went. Its likley that a peice broke off and jammed somewhere causeing the belt to loose some teeth and the hole thing go out of sink. Resulting in the loverly picture on the previous page. I've got some pictures of the damage on the scroll I'll try get them off my phone and put them up.

Right I'm off to Las Vegas tonight for a week, so I'm gonna forget about chargers and dubs untill I get back!!! Hopefully I'll hit the jackpot and can build the dub of my dreams when I get back! See-ya :lol: :lol: