Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

Can you help a poor helpless newbie please...

i want to get some stuff for my C but as im new to owning one im not sure,

I have search and found info but people abriviate words and ive no idea what it means?

Im after some new:-

Power steering fluid (also where is the cap to drain my old stuff away?, i know im to tilt the car up at the front but not sure where to drain it from)

Engine oil + Oil filter

And a new Cat (mine is smelling of eggs!) + original or a QUIET back box

But ive no idea where to go for them as i have heard only original stuff is best.

I do have a mechincal mind and have fitted Vaux engines in the past so i know a little, so as much info is greatly wanted please guys as i know nothing about my C!

Cheers!

Neil :)

find out where your local GSF (german, swedish and french car parts) is... they will have all the stuff you need and they are pretty cheap!!!! or try http://www.gsfcarparts.com, i've had to go a couple of times to get bits that i had noooooo idea about and they were really helpful.....

as for finding where to drain the PAS fluid, stick a post in the Drivetrain section, someone will know that one!!!

hth....

I have search and found info but people abriviate words and ive no idea what it means?

Power steering fluid (also where is the cap to drain my old stuff away?, i know im to tilt the car up at the front but not sure where to drain it from)

Engine oil + Oil filter

But ive no idea where to go for them as i have heard only original stuff is best.

I do have a mechincal mind and have fitted Vaux engines in the past so i know a little, so as much info is greatly wanted please guys as i know nothing about my C!

Cheers!

Neil, PS fluid and the other service parts can be got from GSF or Eurocarparts. PS fluid is not a service item so no need to change it. It might need a top up though.

Oil filters, GSF do genuine ones VWs synta silver is a good all round oil.

Your cat doesn't need replacment. Most cats produce the eggy smell it's just part of the 'cleaning' process.

Saved a fortune there.. :lol:

Gavin

Engine oil + Oil filter

Cheers!

Neil, PS fluid and the other service parts can be got from GSF or Eurocarparts. PS fluid is not a service item so no need to change it. It might need a top up though.

Oil filters, GSF do genuine ones VWs synta silver is a good all round oil.

Your cat doesn't need replacment. Most cats produce the eggy smell it's just part of the 'cleaning' process.

Saved a fortune there.. :lol:

Gavin

Gavin I could really do with changing the fluid on my G/F's valver as its really black. I dont think topping up is really gonna help so could do with a change.

Do you know where you drain from :D

Disconnect a pipe at the lowest point in the system. Probably the pump itself. I am tempted to say spin the engine to pump it out but I don't know what kind of pressures are involved.

You could take the belt off and spin the pump by hand, which would be safer. There is no drain that I am aware of.

Gavin

High pressure Gav and good flow after watching 2cc's car wee itself today where we did not do a union up tight enough..

Spin by hand then JBOB........ :mrgreen:

Will do :lol: another job for tomorrow

Thanks Gavin

i have heard that people changing their PS fuild has helped the whining noise, mine is really bad!

As long as i can get it all from GSF i know where it is as ive been there a few times already for a headlight lense, air filter, spark plugs etc!

CHeers guys!

As long as that's not the belt slipping. They tend to make moore noise on full lock as well.

Gavin

yes mine makes the most noise on full lock! is noisey all time tho but really whines on full lock. how hard it is to change the belt?

not hard at all - you loosen and remove alternator drive belt, then loosen PAS pump and plonk on new belt (you'll need to get under the car to do this easily).

I doubt changing the belt will make much difference if its the pump thats whining TBH

EDIT - mine was loud, new fluid made a bit of a difference but belt made none