Sign in to follow this  
Joe M

Engine gone BANG

There was a loud bang from my engine now when its idling it sounds like its firing on 2 cylinders and when I rev it there is a loud clattering noise. I also cant take it above 20mph as theres no power and now I aint using it at all. My mechanic is getting the car Monday but if anyone wants to hit me with horror stories of what it could be nows the time so I know what to expect.

If it comes to the worst and I need a new engine im considering a g60, theres a few on PVW for about the 1500 mark with gearbox, wiring loom and driveshafts. Anyone got an idea how much fitting would be on something like that.

bad news about your engine if it is dead :cry: ......................if you speak to paul allan on this forum he did a pretty similar thing that you're proposing as he converted his 1.8 16v into a 1.8 8v g-60(vr6 eater)

If it comes to the worst and I need a new engine im considering a g60, theres a few on PVW for about the 1500 mark with gearbox, wiring loom and driveshafts. Anyone got an idea how much fitting would be on something like that.

I may be able to help.....I have a full G60 engine out of a Corrado ie. engine/charger/loom/ecu/box that I was planning to drop into my Mk2 Golf. May wait and do a VR6 or possibly a 20vT so I might be selling if you're interested?........

Cheers

Definately interested but I need to wait until ive had my mechanic to look at it. Was supposed to happen today but the Laguna piece of **** I got to tow it had knackered threads on the towing eye.

What sort of price would you be looking for and does the engine have any history, idea of mileage and has the supercharger had a recent rebuild?

No probs, just drop me a mail or something. The engine has done about 100k IIRC, and I'm pretty certain has FSH - I think the charger was done about 20k ago but I was gonna have it rebuilt before putting it into my car anyway (not that I'm paranoid or anything!! :shock: ).

I would be looking for approx £1200 ono..........

Cheers

Joe M, Sounds like a dropped valve sorry to be the prophet of doom,not cheap :( :( :shock:

Mechanics just had a listen and reckons this is the case so its going to be taken apart. I dont really know what a dropped valve is though and have no idea what sort of damage it could cause. Can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers

You got it Joe. usually :( but I know people who have v v lucky and only suffered min damage. Fingers crossed

Just spoke with my mechanic, he wont be able to strip down my engine till monday but he reckons the damage shouldnt be too bad. Theres no smoke and when its running at idle there is no noise, its just like its firing on 3. From this he thinks that the block and pistons will most likely be ok and at worst the cylinder head will be damaged and need repaired or replaced. Wont know the damage for definate till its stripped but for the next few days I will be keeoing my fingers crossed as he reckons ive got lucky.

GOOD NEWS: I phoned the garage yesterday about 5.00pm and they said they had started stripping the engine down but didnt have the head of yet. I popped in today as I was passing about 4.00pm and they told me that they stripped it down, there was minor damage to the cylinder head which was fixed and they were now in the process of building it back up.

This time tommorow I will be driving my C again :D

And the bill is going to be around the £350 mark which is well below what it could have been.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Joe,

Thats excellent news.. glad to hear the damage isnt as bad as you had first thought.

:)

Car back today, everything back to running the way it was before. Cylinder head stripped, repaired put back together with new gaskets and bill came to £300 exactly. There was a few minor probs though. Water light came on 2 miles from garage so I looked under the bonnet and the expansion tank was empty and I noticed a loose pipe at the front of the engine. Got lots of bottles of water and drove back to the garage. It turned out it was just an airlock so no prob there and the pipe was a breather pipe that they had missed putting back in place. No biggy but they apoligized and on the whole I am impressed with the work done at that price and recommend the garage.

Donaldsons Motor Company, Yorkhill Quay, Glasgow.

Not sure but the car feels more powerful than before, probably just me though as ive had to drive an Almera for the last week and a half.