Sign in to follow this  
andy

Autoglass Windscreen Badly fitted

LOL, I can see bits of sealant inside too, but that's mainly because the Rado A pillar trims don't butt right up to the screen like modern cars do.

Well, I had a chat with the bloke that did my mate's Focus screen the other day and learned some interesting facts.

Corrados - Yes, they are notorious. Reason being is because the external captive seals are difficult to get their cutting tools underneath. Look at most other modern bonded screens and there is no captive seal like Rados have. On modern cars, all they do is run the cutter round (a knife with a 90 degree blade in it) and lift the screen out....but you can't do that with Rados as the blade always snaps! So god knows what they do with rado screens, but some people manage it, some don't. He said Mondeos, Focuses and Corrados are his top 3 hated jobs!!

The reason screens are bonded in is nothing to do with chassis strength etc, oh no, VW wouldn't go to the trouble.....it's because of the Americans :roll:

They have a law that states 80% of the screen must remain intact and on the car in the event of a crash and the only way to achieve that is to glue it in.

The reason screens are bonded in is nothing to do with chassis strength etc, oh no, VW wouldn't go to the trouble.....it's because of the Americans :roll:

They have a law that states 80% of the screen must remain intact and on the car in the event of a crash and the only way to achieve that is to glue it in.

:-P A law from a country where you can drive with no MOT or insurance, and not have to wear a seatbelt!

I'm sure they would gone to bonded screens anyway to improve looks/security - the corrado was probably a test bed for bonded windows in the mk3 golf.

Regarding the 'cutting tool'. I watched mine being replaced last year (after reading horror stories that increased my paranoia) and saw them use a 'cheese cutting' wire.

It was horrid to watch, especially as it kept breaking and had to be reattched to the handle.

But I am sure I was happier to be watching than sitting wondering what was going on for 3 hours.

I've noticed on a couple of corrado's that the A pillar trims have been damaged (probably when the old screen has been cut out with a tool) leaving jagged edges which looks really shit. My VR needs a new screen now so I think I'll remove the A pillar trims before I take it in.

My G60 windscreen developed a small leak from the top near the rear view mirror, water would drip on the gearnob after a heavy/prolonged downpour! I took it back to RAC, they put a hose on the seal for hours, but sods law, not a single drip in the car!

Interior A pillar trims? They're part of the whole panel that goes from to B pillar, not cheap!

Are the scuttle panel trims still obsolete? Nice of VW to do that :roll: Surprised they haven't obsoleted the head light glass aswell as that's another essential item that can easily break.

:nono: DONT USE AUTOGLASS :nono: they use pattern parts and send monkeys to fit them :bad-words: wont go into my story to long and boring :sleeping: but im on my third screen and its cost them £500 in the bodyshop for my roof to be repainted, total w##kers IMO .

Autoglass repair, autoglass replace...... BADLY.

Work in a main dealer bodyshop for a prestige german car manafacturer, the amount of bodge jobs that come in because of people like them is unbeliveable. They mostly dont use genuine glass, bonding kits (The manafacturer i work on has 4 different types depending on the glass and the panel it goes onto), dont take care, dont know how things come apart so usually break trims.

I WOULDNT EVEN LET THEM CLEAN MY CAR LET ALONE WORK ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!

In all honestly the only way to do a screen is in the dry, with all the tools to hand, where you can take your time and not have to rush, with ovens to paint when you scratch the pillars/roof when cutting the screen out etc etc etc.

I need my windscreen replacing, and my Insurer (Brentacre, Highway) now uses Autoglass.. there's now way i'm taking my car there after what I've read about them.

I'm considering moving Insurers to someone who uses RAC, does anyone know of another insurer that uses them? I tried RAC insurance but the quote was 4 times more than i'm paying now!

Bugger! Just had my screen replaced by them. The guy came out to my place of work, was nice enough but said the dreaded words - "Any problems, just call us". I called them. The trim around the outside of the screen peeled off when I was on the motorway (I was progressing, admittedly! :D ). The fitter is coming back on Monday so I'm going to have a damn good check around the inside and outside of the screen before he does after reading this thread - any damage will be noted and he'll get a bloody good ear-bashing over it!

The trim around the outside of the screen needs to go in before the screen does to fit properly, so if it's come out then to put it in properly again they'll need to re-fit the window :eek:

When I had mine done at RAC a few years back, they kept it in the depot for 5 hours in total to let the adhesive go off properly. They also secured the whole trim/seal down with masking tape for my journey home, they must of had some experience with bits flying off before! I drove home pretty slowly.

It did work though, never had a problem with the trim or seal coming out. What make of screen did they fit btw?

No idea of the make. Didn't even think that there would be differences to be honest. They're coming tomorrow to sort it out but it's p***ing it down here so maybe not! Fingers crossed it doesn't leak overnight.

If it is marked with 'Sekurit' on the bottom of the passenger side, then it is a proper OE screen. If its unmarked or another make, it could be a pattern screen which causes problems in itself. I'd take it into the depot if your able to, more chance of them putting it right properly.

Well he's been and gone and hopefully the problems solved. Thankfully it does have Sekurit marked in the corner and the bit that I though looked the messiest is actually done in the factory where they manufacture the screen so that's a bit more reassuring (I think!).

He's glued the trim back in which I don't think is exactly what's supposed to be done but it looks neat and doesn't seem to be leaking, fingers crossed!

Keep checking it though mate, i've seen a fair few rados with rust around the windscreen due to water sitting under that seal! Glad its been sorted out though :grin:

I did have a cheeky check when he was doing it and didn't see any rust so I know it'll be because of this if it starts. Cheers for the info re : OE screens etc guys, much appreciated.

Just cos the screen has the same name as the manafacturer fitted one, doensnt mean its the same, the amount of windows and screens we see that are made by the same company as the manafacturer uses and still dont fit, rattle, wind noise (espescially), leak, shatter etc is a joke.

Unless its ordered from the manafacturer or a dealership and you see the recipt to prove it id tell them to go away till they sort it out.

Good point that, a proper OE spec screen shouldnt have any messy looking bits in it.

Went to VAG dealer today to price up a new windscreen, £206 inc. VAT (not as bad as expected) they have stock in this country but apparently they are obsolete now!

The rubber seal was about £23 (available) top trim £9 (available) left & right trims £44 (getting back to me about those). They list adhesive & cutting wire also.

I'm going to get quotes from RAC & Autoglass, and find out what they are paying/charging for the actual screen, and what make etc.

Anyone been mad enough to consider doing the job themselves?

Had my windscreen done at RAC yesterday, no longer recommending them because I have problems with glue showing around the outer seal, and wind noise from a small gap on the passenger side (admittedly i've fared much better than some!)

It's annoying because last time the screen alignment & seals were done perfect on the g60 (bar the small leak) and the old screen on this car was a replacement when I bought it, that too was well fitted and had no glue on the outer seal at all, it was a snug fit because it held itself in.]

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=75328&p=901145#p901145