Sign in to follow this  
KADVR6

changing heater matrix

seeming that mine is f****d, and im filling my header tank every day due to it, i will be changigng it on saturday, do i need to take out the entire dash to do this?? or can i get away with only taking some of the dash out?? :( i dont want to do this job :(

Hi mate, there is another recent thread on this if you have a search, it's really not too bad a job, I'm pretty inexperienced and had no hiccups. PM me if you have any questions.

your right, you don't want to do this job - i'm told its easier 2nd time round but i've only done it once and didn't enjoy it.

Theres an urban myth going around that you don't have to remove dash but i can't see how it can be done - i stand to be correct tho.......

watch out for the 2 nuts taht bolt the dash to the underside of the scuttle and need to be reomved from under the bonnet below the windscreen behind the wiper mech.

Good luck :( - soory to be so neg.

watch out for the 2 nuts taht bolt the dash to the underside of the scuttle and need to be reomved from under the bonnet below the windscreen behind the wiper mech.

Lol this should come as a warning label on the box!

I also heard that you can do it without taking the dash out, some Scotsman with freakishly flexible wrists IIRC :shock:

I did it by removing the seats and swinging the dash round to the N/S

EDIT - - I think taking it all out is a good excusee to stop all those bl00dy squeaks.

Changing the heater matrix is a piece of piss!

Getting to the heater matrix is the bit that is a pain in the a$$!!

i took the dash out on mine when i got back from e38 to start fitting the SEAT climatronic stuff and it only took about 30 minutes to get the whole thing out.

the bolts and nuts that need removing are

2x 8mm on either end of the dash

2x 10mm nuts in the scuttle panel (dont need to remove ecu or wiper mech)

4x screws from the bit in front of the clocks (carefully remove plastic caps from bottom 2)

i think removing clocks is optional but i did it anyway (2x screws at either side of the clocks)

2x screws in cubby at bottom of centre console

4x screws behind heater control trim

1x screw in left hand centre heater vent

1x screw at top behind blanks/foglight switches (will need very short or angled screwdriver)

5x screws from left hand under dash

5x (i think) from right hand under dash (a couple are behind fuse box cover)

1x 10mm nut from back of metal plate behind centre cubby

unplug all switches, stereo, unclip all cables attached to underside of dash ect

i managed to get the dash out quite easilly without removing the steering cowling or steering wheel

to remove the heater matrix

remove

1x plastic knob/nut/round thing on the left under the shelf

3x 10mm nuts with big washers and rubber washers behind them in engine bay on firewall (looking from the front 1 on the right 2in the middle )

2x hoses that run into the matrix behind the throttle body(g60)

may need to unclip various heater hoses and remove 2 screws that hold the top vent to the bulkhead

lift the heater box out and remove 2 screws that hold the matrix in and slide it out and replace with a nice shiney non leaky new one

may be more but im doing this from my admitedly crap memory

i managed to get the dash out quite easilly without removing the steering cowling or steering wheel

:shock: nutter! that was the first thing i took off lol

just put the wheel at its lowest setting and lift the left hand side of the dash up first and it has a reasonable amount of clearence to lift out 8)

i've got climatronic to fit - a breakdown of that wold be nice collrado - i've heard you have to fabricate brackets for the vent sensors? Haven't really investigated yet but any tips would be good.....

well i have the whole system from a leon and i will be using the leon heater box which has all the sensors built in and the matrix (corrado matrix is identical but the seat one has quick release couplings on it)

the only sensors that need custom mounting are the one for outside temp (can be mounted next to the one in the lower right hand front intake)

and a sunlight sensor that needs to be mounted in the top of the dash (can be mounted through one of the slots in the windscreen heater vents)

i got all the controls working last night but i have not got the aircon working yet as i need some custom pipework, the correct pulleys, and a re-gas to get it working fully as i had no aircon to start with

the dash should be back in tonight though so i will try and take some pics before i put it all back together

if you are doing a climatronic install i would try and get the SEAT controller as it has a clearer display and nicer buttons than the vw version IMO and fills the space left by the old controls perfectly but it will work fine with the rest of the vw stuff as the connections are identical

i have the full mk4 system from bigpantsbaby so will be using that - will probably be looking to cx the control panel but can live with it for now - its the rest of it that concerns me.

from your last post, i take it the control panels are interchangeable then?

the connections are the same but the leon panel is bigger and fills the gap between my headunit and screen perfectly (may be too big if you still have the ash tray and lighter though)

you will also need to move a couple of the brackets that secure the heater box to the bulkhead or drill different mounting holes in the bulkhead (i moved the brackets) i am pretty sure its the same system as a mk4 golf anyway.

thanks for all the info guys, not quite so nervous about under taking this job, especially as it will save me about £400 doing it myself. :D

Its worth have ago yourself, Its not that hard really, Did mine Monday after mine developed a leak. Hardest part is finding the screws that hold the heaterbox in place and two very awkward screws on my car , Passenger side vent and 2, The screw under the scuttle panel by the wiper assembly, had to pop off the linkage for the wiper to get at it. But apart from that it wasn`t as bad as it looks.

A couple of things i would say 1, remember when all the screws go(still got 2 left over from mine :lol: and 2, Plan at least a whole day to do it, mine took 7hours with a mate helping

Good luck

Ian

Hiya guys and girls. Replacing my matrix today. I've got everything apart. I can't find the 2x10mm bolts in the scuttle panel.

2x 10mm nuts in the scuttle panel (dont need to remove ecu or wiper mech)????????????

HELP

you dont have to take out entire dash just passenger and driver trim plus glovebox.me and a mate did it in 2-3hrs.easy when you get into it.

going to have to do mine again as it blew within a day due to pressure problem in the cooling system.

coolrado, i've got aircon in mine but what else is needed for the climatronic install? Mods, I'll start another thread on this if needed? :offtopic1: