Sign in to follow this  
Funkster

Different/incorrect VR6 oil filter supplied by GSF...

Hey all,

I went to a GSF and asked for oil and filter for my VR6. The filter they gave me was just plastic/felt/paper, and I didn't realise until I removed the old one that the two weren't the same - the old one has metal ends and what looks like a on-return valve.

I fitted the new one 'cos the old one was dirty... but is it even functioning as a filter at the moment? There didn't seem to be any proper means to stop the oil just going round the end.

I had a search on here, and although the difference is mentioned on a couple of threads, no-one mentions the effects of using the paper one... Should I refrain from driving the car until I can put the right filter in? I'm running out of working cars...

Cheers for any advice,

--

Olly

You need to get the proper filter in ASAP. The one you have won't filter properly and everytime you stop the engine, your oil pressure for restarts will drop to zero.

Heh, it doesn't sound any more rattly at start-up than it did before!

Will get the right filter and swap it asap. Do GSF do the right filter at all, or is a VW-only part?

Thanks for the info.

--

Olly

I've got a genuine VW filter.. Its a yellow paper one with no metal bits on the ends, just a card thing. Its defo a genuine VW item and defo for the VR6.. Surely its fine to use?

I've got a genuine VW filter.. Its a yellow paper one with no metal bits on the ends, just a card thing. Its defo a genuine VW item and defo for the VR6.. Surely its fine to use?

I think the Golf VR6 uses a different one to the Corrado 2.9 VR6...

I have a Corrado lump...

Surely there isn't an actual difference in filter casings e.t.c so using the filter I have would be ok?

;)

VW part number is 021 115 562 for the ABV which is the same as the early VR6 Golf. The later Golf uses the 021 115 562A, no idea on the differences.

GAvin

Surely there isn't an actual difference in filter casings

The difference in one sentence. Or should I say why there are two filters.

Also impacts on the seal if the filter housing to engine block is the Golf version so order the right there as well if you ever decide to take it all off.

Interestingly, I went to GSF and complained, and the chap looked on the computer and said that was all they had. I then pointed at the correct one which was sitting on the shelf behind him, and he looked and saw that it had the same GSF part number on it!

They did at least give me the correct one for free, though.

--

Olly