Sign in to follow this  
veedub

valver problems....again!

1992 2ltr 16v 9a

Well, after a month of trouble free driving i thought the c was just perfect until this morning.

Under Medium/hard acceleration the bloody thing stutters violently, however, i have noticed my already noisy fuel pump has got even louder so this is my first point of call... any other ideas??

I have done all of the usual things:

Lambda probe

Knock sensors

Leads

Plugs

Dizzy

Rotor arm

etc, etc

Any help would be nice coz the 'old car charm' is wearing thin!! :mad:

Fuel pump could very well be to blame.. change the fuel filter first, as if thats all blocked up and choked the symptoms can be a noisy pump and very poor running as the engine is being under fuelled!

now im not sure if the 2l has 2 pumps (but think it does) the one in the tank has a small filter on its base, take it off run it under the tap/wd40 put it back on and it may just help....worth a look anyway :-)

veedub-g60, do yourself a favour and don't mess around with secondhand pumps. Not worth it IMO.

Do the filter and then if no improvement the pump.

Gavin

Ok lads, im confused!!

Which pump is likely to be the problem?

is it this one? if so, how does it come out?

DSC00036.jpg

Or this one? Where is the aforementioned filter?

DSC00039.jpg

Help!!!!!

The one in the tank failing will cause the big one to make a real row. It is about 30 quid and lives in the tank itself. Top picture.

Undo the big black ring and the pump and fuel contents sender are in a unit which is fitted to the bottom of the tank on a bayonet. Turn and withdraw the whole thing.

A new lift pump should allow the main pump to have a much easier life.

Gavin

I am just well read and somewhat older than yourself. I have had another 17 years to experience all these snags myself. :cry:

I know about the intank pump being on a bayonet cos I broke the pump in my G60 Golf trying to get it out..............

Gavin

check the ampage draw at the fuse box (think its number 17 or 18) - a healthy pump should pull around 5A - if its not working then its either pushing fresh air (in which case the amps will be very low) or if the amps are high then it could signify a seizing fuel pump.